Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Cometic guys come in...Copper spray or no?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2010, 10:28 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by G Engines
I have ben building engines professionally for 14 years, I have worked for Richard Childress Racing all of witch their engines run cometic gaskets none of them have the rivets drilled. Our shop currently has the worlds 2nd fastest V6 Turbo Buick Owned by Bob Stanley. This not something I would do or recommend to do.
Im sure that that buick motor you are speaking of is not a standard 109 block...Which only has 4bolts per cylinder to hold the gasket,The stage motors(1 or 2) have 5 bolts,And so do the Ta blocks.

Dont take it the wrong way,Im sure you have forgotten more about motors than I will ever know..But arent the examples given pretty much pointless...We are not talking about aftermarket Buick motors,Or Sportsman block Race motors that will see a few races and be torn back down.

The buick guys have been dealing with this for 20 years now..The best setup for quite a while was stacked steel shims,with each layer coated with GE1200...They were considered just about Blow proof.Only difference was..now you lost your Fuse to speak,If you had detonation...Instead of blowing a HG,You pounded the bearings instead.This was overtaken by the Cometic setup,Only because the GE1200 is very hard to Find anymore.

If you have the Perfect Ra on the block/heads..Dry install is fine,As per cometics instructions.Which Im sure is the case when it comes to big Engine building/machine shops.

If not...I personally would just dust each side with Hylomar,And install..Do a retorque the next day,and Drop a few GM sealing tabs in the Radiator for Insurance.This has worked for me,No problems...28psi for quite a while now and the heads are still sealed up.

I do know there are guys in BuickLand that are Drilling the Rivets and Coating each layer,With no problems.Usually if they are going to these lengths,They are running alot of boost...well over 30psi is not uncommon.
Old 01-18-2010, 03:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok so Hylomar is the ticket then? I need to know as I am installing the heads this week. Thanks!
Old 01-18-2010, 07:12 PM
11 Second Club

Im sure the Copper spray works just as well...It is much easier to find than the Hylomar also.

But,If you did want to pick it up,Here is a at least one place...

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/ite...alants-_-2VUU9
Old 01-19-2010, 06:56 PM
Staging Lane

I had to drill two rivets on my gasket set cause they made contact with the deck surface, i installed them dry, it was on a lt1

Quick Reply: Cometic guys come in...Copper spray or no?