Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers
View Poll Results: for a street/strip car which is the better choice? (regardless of install dificulty)
procharger
53.61%
turbo
46.39%
Voters: 97. You may not vote on this poll

procharger VS. turbo?????

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2010, 10:02 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default procharger VS. turbo?????

seems like 98% percent of FI cars run a turbo. my question is how come so many people run turbos instead of prochargers? also, why do people go with prochargers if one is better than the other.
I WANT TO HEAR BOTH SIDES OF THE STORY...TURBO AND PROCHARGER GUYS CHIME IN!!!!!!!!
Old 02-14-2010, 12:17 AM
TECH Enthusiast

depends on application really

Prochargers have a linear boost curve
i.e.
2000 rpm - 2psi
3000 rpm 4 psi
4000 rpm 6 psi
5000 rpm 8 psi
6000 rpm 10 psi

Turbo's have an "exponential" boost curve
i.e.
2000 rpm - 2
3000 rpm - 4 psi
4000 rpm - 10 psi
5000 rpm - 10
6000 rpm 10psi

i think it just depends on what the person wants from the car to be honest.
Old 02-14-2010, 12:59 AM
TECH Regular

Not sure it's 98% turbo. I suggest some in-depth reading of the countless re-hashings of this very topic. Somewhere before the threads turn into a 90 page flame war there are some good arguments to be found.
Old 02-14-2010, 01:08 AM
12 Second Club

I bet theres more Procharger cars than turbo overall.... not trying to hijack.
Old 02-14-2010, 02:01 AM
TECH Addict

Agreed, theres not that many turbo guys around, it guys seems like theres more of us because were asking questions. Superchargers are usually a weekend deal, you throw it on and youre done. Theres not much to em unless you want to go a little more advanced with it. With turbos we only have a few production kits so we are constantly tweaking with our limited engineering knowledge on our homemade kits. Both have their place, if you have time to **** around and engineer something then turbo could be a cheaper alternative but if you want your car up and running in a weekend, super is the best way.

Somedays I wish I had gone supercharged but all the knowledge Ive gained, through all the busted knuckles and throwing of tools, with a turbo make it totally worth it. Not to mention, I have 7 months of winter here so if I had a blower I wouldve been done....back in September lol
Old 02-14-2010, 02:39 AM
-Q-
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by XtremeDime
Not to mention, I have 7 months of winter here so if I had a blower I wouldve been done....back in September lol
Not if you sit on your *** and constantly put it off...like me
Old 02-14-2010, 07:43 AM
12 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I went turbo on my two just because of cost and I can build a kit for about half of what you can buy a supercharger for. To buy a new supercharger kit you are looking at 6 grand. I will have 3500 in to my turbo build with doing the hotside twice. Plus i don't have to worry about upgrading that kit to a 8 rib because of belt slip.
Old 02-14-2010, 09:12 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You can do turbo setup cheaper than super if you are talking new prices.If you find used kits well that can make big difference. Twin turbos of course are going to cost more than single setups.

There are some kits out and several super kits. Ati, vortech to name two super kits.
Turbo kits you have tti, sts, and smaller companies on the board. APS supposedly stopped making f body kits but not 100% sure on that.
Lots of guys can piece together a turbo setup from ebay parts, fabbing things,etc.

Which is superior? Not easy answer. I like all forms of FI, supers,turbos,centrifugals, roots type and twin screw, nitrous..all have their pros and cons ,all work and all are fun.
As said above you get pretty different powerbands and area under the curves from the various power adders.
I have personally been in sts lt1 and sts ls1, ati lt1 and ati ls1,paxton lt1, some nitrous cars,my tt 99 of course and owned a big block chevy with big roots blower in past.
I also own several turbo talons.
I plan on adding an ati procharger to my 96z vert at some point in time almost bought used kit last year.

You can read all about the technical stuff about all the setups but in real life the differences are not as great.
Still overall if have to choose power adder tend to lean to turbos. Can be bit more extensive on install and bit more complex but tend to favor the area under the curve, the ability to control power quickly by playing with boost controller and to be able to ramp in my boost by various methods..rpm,time,etc. I like the sound of turbos and blow offs. I like how the power can come in pretty low on the rpm band and how it can hold the boost from say 3000 to redline.
Old 02-14-2010, 09:28 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

turbo set ups are much harder to install and most of the time, especially with twin turbo set up's have to be custom built and require allot of hacking and work, standing up the rad, relocating alternator, most likely deleting ac, new k member and it will also cost more money due to the added cost from the extra parts you will need. but some people can do a single set up for cheaper then a new procharger

but the upside is that a turbocharger does not use much engine power to turn maybe 3 present due to a restriction in the exhaust

a centrifugal or a roots type blower will use allot more engine power to turn, i was talking to a guy that had a 1000whp vette and he said that his blower is eating about 250hp

so a turbo set up will make more power on the same psi because it is more efficient, but most likely cost you more and it will have some lag

both have their upsides and downsides, you just have to know what you want
Old 02-14-2010, 10:30 AM
TECH Regular

I have had several as well…. I also dated normal chicks in school and the faster cheerleaders on occasion. But by far the most fun were the mysterious Goth chicks. Can be more maintenance sometimes, not sure if they would work from day to day, and full of surprises around every turn. Make her mad or madder and she may hurt you. You are also not supposed to turn her off when she is hot. After 15 years mine still scares me and the same is for my car.

Sorry, I always relate things to women, but it is true. I like the low end torque of a roost blower, but hate the parasitic drag.

I like the ease of installation related to the weekend assembled Procharger, but once it was done I always wanted more to do.

Nitrous was cool, but filling the tanks got old.

Turbos…. Ya! I like the torque curve, I like the feel, I like the sound, I like to tinker with them, and to most they are mysterious Voodoo. My kind of girl!
Old 02-14-2010, 10:35 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The way the turbo feels when you hit boost is just crazy. Plus i love the sound of the turbo. I see this thread going a long long way lol
Old 02-14-2010, 10:40 AM
TECH Regular

[QUOTE=Tzion_ben_Arthur;12892093]I have had several as well…. I also dated normal chicks in school and the faster cheerleaders on occasion. But by far the most fun were the mysterious Goth chicks. Can be more maintenance sometimes, not sure if they would work from day to day, and full of surprises around every turn. Make her mad or madder and she may hurt you. You are also not supposed to turn her off when she is hot. After 15 years mine still scares me and the same is for my car.

That cracks me up. Good way to put it!
Old 02-14-2010, 10:40 AM
On The Tree

In theory, a procharger "lags" more then a turbo setup.

Some changes have been made lately, but the procharger stuff is still a bit behind, and still a bit high in price.

I have yet to lose to a procharge/vortec car on the street with my crappy little v6 turbo.
Old 02-14-2010, 11:03 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by darkhorizon
In theory, a procharger "lags" more then a turbo setup.

Some changes have been made lately, but the procharger stuff is still a bit behind, and still a bit high in price.

I have yet to lose to a procharge/vortec car on the street with my crappy little v6 turbo.
Have you ever seen or raced a Procharger car with a properly matched stall/auto? Theres no lag.... or very very little.
Old 02-14-2010, 11:53 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

heres a lot of info in here if u want to know about prochargers...

https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-in...rger-guys.html
Old 02-14-2010, 10:30 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Taubr Unit
heres a lot of info in here if u want to know about prochargers...

https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-in...rger-guys.html
i know about prochargers...it's turbos that i don't know much about. i have actually been planning on gettin a d1. i already have my fmic kit and blower cam and im just about to order my d1 8-rib tuner kit. now that im so close to dropping this cash on a procharger i want to make sure it is what i want, and im not missing out on something better because i don't know enough about turbos. i don't want to regret my decision later on. i like what i hear about turbos making more power under the curve and still keeping the power up top, but a turbo sounds like more of a hassle.
Old 02-15-2010, 12:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Tzion_ben_Arthur
I have had several as well…. I also dated normal chicks in school and the faster cheerleaders on occasion. But by far the most fun were the mysterious Goth chicks. Can be more maintenance sometimes, not sure if they would work from day to day, and full of surprises around every turn. Make her mad or madder and she may hurt you. You are also not supposed to turn her off when she is hot. After 15 years mine still scares me and the same is for my car.

Sorry, I always relate things to women, but it is true. I like the low end torque of a roost blower, but hate the parasitic drag.

I like the ease of installation related to the weekend assembled Procharger, but once it was done I always wanted more to do.

Nitrous was cool, but filling the tanks got old.

Turbos…. Ya! I like the torque curve, I like the feel, I like the sound, I like to tinker with them, and to most they are mysterious Voodoo. My kind of girl!
^ well said. Made me smile I vote Take on a challenge and go turbo I don't think you will be disapointed. Just my .02
Old 02-15-2010, 01:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

procharger wins in ease of install and reliability, turbo wins in ultimate power and ease of ability to adjust power in my opinion.
Old 02-15-2010, 01:24 PM
TECH Veteran

I don't see why turbos would normally be more unreliable than prochargers.
Turbos are found on millions of factory vehicles,cars, trucks,semis. I have seen them go 100,000 plus miles on my talons.
Of course there are possiblites of buying knock offs or poorly assembled turbos but genuine mits or garett are usually highly reliable.

I will agree procharger seems to be easier install since you don't need oil feed or oil return ,water lines,etc.
Still once a turbo kit or super kit is installed its installed. So if it takes longer to install not a huge deal unless you are paying some shop big money to do it.
And while some turbo kits do require a lot of mucking on the car and might have you lose your air or move around other things like battery, alternator ...not all kits require this.
Old 02-15-2010, 02:17 PM
Launching!

procharger cuz i have to put it on before the wife figures out whats going on!!

Quick Reply: procharger VS. turbo?????