Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Twin Screw already out for the GTO???

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2003, 11:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Evil Turbo SS
I love my Camaro I like the ls1 and I want a GTO for a Driver but , lets face the facts.... a 03 Cobra mod for mod dollar for dollar in a "street car" will make more power. The GTO is a better built car the 03 has a More mod friendly motor from the factory. But some of the HP #s that people claim LS1 cars make are stupid. Its almost like some people don't read any of the posts at Ls1tech. If they did they would realize how hard it is to make the 600-700 rwhp #s.

To 10secondZ. When your camaro is done add up all the money you put into the car. I will put half into my 03 and we can run heads up!

Why is it then I made 610rwhp 545 rwtq on my (except for cam) otherwise stock LS6 in my Z06 on 12lbs of boost?????

On 16lbs of boost I am over 600/700 rwhp/rwtq with my current Twin Turbo setup??

I have to agree that the stock LSx can not handle 12lbs of boost from either Turbo or Blower..as I have blown up an LS1 and an LS6 motor

The cobra does not have all forged motors either. They have brittle pistons too and 99% of the failure in running 12lbs of boost on an LSx motor is because of the Hyperuetetic Pistons...they are brittle..do not expand...and the ring lans like to snap like wafer cookies. I had 4 pistons once with 2" chunks of broken ring lan. Go over to the SVT site is you want information on the motor in the Cobra and talk to those guys they are pretty cool and will tell you that their pistons are not the greates. The Rods are though.

I have had 2 Mustangs, 1 Camaro, 2 Firebirds, and 2 Vettes....the thing I miss most about the Fords...is that you can mod one to be killer fast for a lot less money than our LS1 cars...but in the end you are still driving a FORD! You might as well stuff a 351 Cleveland in a Pinto as far as I'm concerned.
Old 12-28-2003, 11:47 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Hmm interesting post

I think PSJ car is a bad example to use for a FI car. He just got the kit on and hasn't tuned it yet(completely). He also was dynoing through a turbo 400 with slicks and a 7000 stall, definitley not the setup to run for good dyno number but the setup he will run at the track so good for him.

The X2C cobra moves and puts down good numbers, but if you want to compare numbers like that then keep it in some what of the same playing field. Take the Incon cars or Raymer new 120,000k mile prodject. Raymers car is 580 to the ground 11 pounds and the Incon cars were over 600 with stock motors.

I do feel there is a definite benefit to owning a Ford because the industry is full of mods for them. I helped my buddy strap one of the first Pro Chargers on a 2 valve saleen and I was also there to help him crack a ring land on a piston with a jimmy la rocca tune in the car, however it did make 400 to the ground with and X pipe and 10 pounds of boost.

I think both cars and manufactures(ford and gm) are both producing great cars, motors and it definitely is a fact that technology is here to stay.

Glenn
Old 12-28-2003, 12:42 PM
TECH Regular

So, according to you guys my Camaro should make 750 rwhp with my d1sc and 800 rwhp with a f1. Its just not gonna happen!

How do the aussies have "more ls1 tech" than we do. Its a Pushrod motor! Give me a break.

Last edited by Evil Turbo SS; 12-28-2003 at 05:33 PM.
Old 12-28-2003, 12:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Ease up dude, I wouldn't worry to much about what can or cannot happen with a push rod motor. There are plenty of push rod motors making tons of power and the LS1 will follow suit(in most cases it has, however in some areas it needs more R&D). There are good and bad numbers for LS1's out there and I know for a fact that they will get better.

There is much more time spent on R&D for mustangs then there is for camaros and vettes. This is a fact , so I guess this means that fords make the power and chevy's don't.....cool

I wouldn't say "It's not gonna happen" this is usually the beginning to every great success story
Old 12-28-2003, 05:31 PM
TECH Regular

I was directing my comment to the "Aussie ls1'a are faster than ours" bull crap. Why would they be better? less people, less money and less economy than we have for the gen III sbc. It wasnt a ford chevy one.

Last edited by Evil Turbo SS; 12-28-2003 at 06:49 PM.
Old 12-28-2003, 06:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

My bad, and I see your point. Hopefully next summer there will be more numbers from our side of the map
Old 12-28-2003, 06:52 PM
TECH Regular

The LS6 is a better flowing head so with just a cam, bolt ons, headers, cam and a turbo I can see 600rwhp.

The 03 Cobra comes with a forged crank, manely rods and forged pistons. The pistons are not the best but can handle 700rwhp for a good amount of time. Just make sure its tuned good.

BTY-To the driving a ford comment... Please, the f-bod and the stang are both hunks of junk.

Originally Posted by Shinobi'sZ
Why is it then I made 610rwhp 545 rwtq on my (except for cam) otherwise stock LS6 in my Z06 on 12lbs of boost?????

On 16lbs of boost I am over 600/700 rwhp/rwtq with my current Twin Turbo setup??

I have to agree that the stock LSx can not handle 12lbs of boost from either Turbo or Blower..as I have blown up an LS1 and an LS6 motor

The cobra does not have all forged motors either. They have brittle pistons too and 99% of the failure in running 12lbs of boost on an LSx motor is because of the Hyperuetetic Pistons...they are brittle..do not expand...and the ring lans like to snap like wafer cookies. I had 4 pistons once with 2" chunks of broken ring lan. Go over to the SVT site is you want information on the motor in the Cobra and talk to those guys they are pretty cool and will tell you that their pistons are not the greates. The Rods are though.

I have had 2 Mustangs, 1 Camaro, 2 Firebirds, and 2 Vettes....the thing I miss most about the Fords...is that you can mod one to be killer fast for a lot less money than our LS1 cars...but in the end you are still driving a FORD! You might as well stuff a 351 Cleveland in a Pinto as far as I'm concerned.
Old 12-28-2003, 08:38 PM
Shorty Director

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

This kind of got out of hand. Evil if you go on www.corvetteforum.com you will find a bunch of over 600rwhp C5's on stock bottom ends.. The only question is when will the bottom end let go. Also, making 600rwhp with a 03 Cobra is a crap shoot as well. I visit www.svtperformance.com all the time. Ford has many issues with their so called forged shortblock. One of my best friends purchased a 03 Cobra and did everything he was told to do to get 600rwhp. He put down 588rwhp on a Mustang dyno. Thats about 640rwhp on a dynojet. Guess what? The shortblock lasted about 2 weeks. There was nothing wrong with the tune. He took the car back to Ford with all the stock stuff back on it and they admitted having problems with the heads and shortblock. He told Ford he wanted Ford to just pay for the shortblock and he would get it fixed. They agreed and he is now using that same shortblock, but boring it out for a big and nasty setup. He is also getting the heads done along with swapping out the stock cams with something wicked.. He was running 19lbs of boost when the last motor went. When the car is back together he is going to run 23-25lbs.. The setup is going to make 700rwhp plus on pump gas, but the cost is going to be hefty. My point is even the 03's forged shortblock needs some help..
Old 12-28-2003, 11:39 PM
TECH Regular

Early 03 Cobras had a cooling issue with the pass. side head and the wrist pins both have been "delt with". many more 03 cobra motors will hold than ls1s with that power!
Old 12-29-2003, 12:40 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,160 Likes on 754 Posts

Sheesh Gordon I'm dynoing thru a T400, way too huge of a stall (7000), on 28" slicks, thru a 9" with 4.10 gears.

If I was M6 SS on radials I think I'd be hitting 650rwhp right now. I like any interesting performance car, the 03 'bra is interesting, but the styling is bland and I've never personally seen one go in the 11's.
Old 12-29-2003, 01:06 AM
Shorty Director

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I must have missed something? The 04 Cobras are out? The problem must still exist because my buddies passenger side head did over heat the wrist pin problem popped up as well. He purchased his 03 about 6 months ago. My point is there is no full proof setup for LS1's or 03 Cobras.. Also, if you do the math a Z28 cost 23k and a 03 Cobra cost 34k in my area. You put 11k into a forged bottom end/heads and blower setup on a Z28 and you have the same 34k. 03 Cobra 380rwhp, SC'd Z28 650rwhp. Now throw the KB setup with all the requirements to get 600rwhp out of a 03 Cobra. 41k for the Cobra and still 34k for the SC'd Z28. Another thing.. The SC'd Z28 will be running 12 to 15lbs of boost and the 03 Cobra close to 20lbs of boost. You still have money left over to purchase the FAST system, even bigger injectors, direct port and FISKE wheels. Hell if you leave the wheels out you can get a new shortblock, i.e., 382ci stroker or 408ci iron block. Now talk about bang for the buck..
Old 12-29-2003, 01:12 AM
11 Second Club

Default Gt-oh

Considering the LS1 is designed for N/A.. The fact that
it handles up to 600rwhp is cool. My thing is though, if you
are going to replace the blower, pistons, etc. to make
800rwhp reliably in a Cobra.. You really aren't saving THAT
much cash over modifying a GTO/F-body considering
prices listed on new Eagle cranks/rods. However, when
you get into that much power.. your going to spend money
no matter what. There will be weak links in every part of
the car.. starting from the t-56, to the clutch, to
incapabilities of launching on IRS, the 10 bolt, etc. I
imagine they are even worse in the Cobra, considering
they weigh more.

And a curiosity question for someone who hasn't been
paying attention to recent pricing. What are cams for
the Cobra motor going for?

The point is this is a 4 door car with a roomy interior and an
even more bland look than the 03 Cobra. The fact that
a blower is out for it and it just came out in the states
means there is gonna be some 500rwhp sleepers creeping
around town on a car thats just now launching off. Have
to keep the ol' eyes peeled.

Peace,
Old 12-29-2003, 05:53 AM
z98
TECH Fanatic

A blower is out for it because the car is a decade old and the engine is 6 years old!
Old 12-29-2003, 02:58 PM
Staging Lane

Talking Cost

Could be the cost is high over the fact of just being NEW..
However, if they were IMPORTING these parts then the "impact fees" at the border are going to be excessive in addition to the original costs. If all the parts are from our shores then I would have to agree it is just price inflation for a new product and they are out to get anyone who will pay it. How many out of 18,000 total GTO's will go for it is the question?

As for the Oval VS Wrench crap, get over it, grow up, and start smashing the "RICE" like a good American. If this pace keeps up, all of todays teens in 15 years will have never owned an american V8 even though they are in the right age group to do so.

"I put a T-76 on my mower, now I have a hovercraft that scalps people over 6 foot tall"
Old 12-30-2003, 03:29 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Evil Turbo SS
I love my Camaro I like the ls1 and I want a GTO for a Driver but , lets face the facts.... a 03 Cobra mod for mod dollar for dollar in a "street car" will make more power. The GTO is a better built car the 03 has a More mod friendly motor from the factory. But some of the HP #s that people claim LS1 cars make are stupid. Its almost like some people don't read any of the posts at Ls1tech. If they did they would realize how hard it is to make the 600-700 rwhp #s.

To 10secondZ. When your camaro is done add up all the money you put into the car. I will put half into my 03 and we can run heads up!
03 cobra my best friend has one.We live in rockford do u have anything done to yours.He has a kb,kooks,magnaflow,bogarts,singleblade,vortech cooler resivior,and a few other things up his sleeve.His car is having tuning problems but even then he still mops up all the ls1's in rockford.He'sshooting for mid 9's this year.You also commited on the 03's motor yah its remarkable but the trans and the rearend have to go if u plan on hooking up.So in the end u fight most of the same battles as the f/car.
Old 12-31-2003, 02:47 PM
Staging Lane

Honestly the Cobra may put down more power mod for mod or money wise (after initial purchase) but who cares about power numbers? Its more about what the car does with the power it has. I would like to see a comparison on LS1 and 03 Cobras with similar ETs and then compare their RWHP numbers. Where X mod may get the Cobra a 100 rwhp boost but it only runs 3/10ths quicker. A 360rwhp LS1 will usually out run a 360rwhp Cobra. It seems to take a lot more power for the Cobra to run the ETs. Not knocking either, just from observation.
Old 01-01-2004, 07:04 AM
Teching In

Last edited by Twin Screw; 01-03-2004 at 12:00 AM.
Old 01-01-2004, 01:22 PM
Restricted User

LeadSled1, if I am not mistaken the Slobras are fatter, by about 200lbs on average which would attribute to them being slower....then of course is the fact it is a F O R D.
Old 01-16-2004, 01:24 AM
Teching In

Default Updated Price

Okay guys, I've just been notified of this thread and have to respond. I apologize to the admins if my non-advertiser status causes any problems, please contact me regarding advertising. I not trying to sell, just inform. M.A.S.C., (the company page this is linked to) has been MORE than aware of the price problem. We have been working diligently to bring the price down from the stratusphere and we've made strides to do so. We believe we may be able to lower the base price by about $3,000 after having worked out some details with the producer and made special shipping arrangements. The website won't reflect that change until it is a done deal.

There is some confusion as to what the "base kit" includes and we have yet to determine that. Assume for now that the base price will be closer to $9,000, but not include all the goodies. Hopefully it will be EVEN lower than that. We expect the base kit will add 150-170hp on an otherwise stock car. Some of the upgraded kits will add considerably more. Compare that to the Magnacharger's $5500 price tag for only about a 100hp gain. Also the "base 2.3L" will far outflow the competition so you can feel free to upgrade the motor to a stroker or increase your boost as necessary.

Guess what nay-sayers: The system is upgradeable to a 3.3L unit that will support upwards of 700 rwhp without so much as a hiccup or wheez.

I've informed the chief engineer and owner of Starr Performance, the manufacturer, of this thread and perhaps the admins won't mind him chiming in to legitimately represent the potential and benefits of this setup.
Old 01-16-2004, 08:34 PM
TECH Regular

The 3.3L Whipple headunit is killer. A few 03 Cobra owners are having upper intakes fabbed to use it.It just seems you could piece together the same kit for 5k.

Quick Reply: Twin Screw already out for the GTO???