Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Can I magna-charge my 8.1 liter truck?

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2003, 12:17 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Can I magna-charge my 8.1 liter truck?

I have a 2003 8.1 liter chevy truck. I was looking into supercharging it, and the only company I have seen that sells a kit for the 8.1 liter is Paxton. I really like the idea of a magna-charger though. Anyone know if the sell a magna-charger kit for the bigger motor? Got any links?

Thanks!
Old 12-30-2003, 01:25 PM
TT-TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Neat,
I can not answer the question about Magna-charger, but I sell Whipples and I know they offer a kit for them. The scew design is great for daily driven or towing vehicles along with a factory look and function. I don't recall the all the out put specs on it but I do remember it put down over 700Lbs ot torque! If you go to there website you can see the specs on them. The centrifical superchargers a great but the do not put down the low end torque that the roots/screw design does so critical for heavy vehicles like trucks I know some one is going to disagree with me but my stock 96 1/2 weighed 4485
and was all stock with the exception of JBA shorties/dual flows and the whipple 13.621 at 98 MPH. The same setup on a 98 friends vortec truck with more stuff gears (3:73 posi) and more boost he had there 8-9 lb kit. his best run of the night 14.3xx I think his mph was @ 95 or 96 I don't recall perfectly though. Hope this help I noticed no one was answering your post so I thought I'd offer my experience with itoh by the way my last three trucks had Whipples on them.
Jeff
Old 12-30-2003, 03:00 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by neat
I have a 2003 8.1 liter chevy truck. I was looking into supercharging it, and the only company I have seen that sells a kit for the 8.1 liter is Paxton. I really like the idea of a magna-charger though. Anyone know if the sell a magna-charger kit for the bigger motor? Got any links?

Thanks!
Yeah, look into whipple. Thats their only intercooled kit. I would say that's the best type of supercharger, intercooled twin screw. The low rpm boost of a roots, and efficiency almost as good as a centrifugal!
Old 12-30-2003, 06:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

I've talked to Magnuson quite a bit about this. The system is to small to meet the needs of the 496. Paxton and Whipple have intercooled kits avaialble for the 8.1 I use the Whipple on my 8.1 Suburban -

This truck has made 408hp/558 ft-lb torque at the rear wheels (about 520/715 flywheel). A very fun truck to drive and plenty of power for towing.

Paxon has a system for the 2001 and 03 8.1s -

This is a centrifugal system that uses an Aftercooler that is similar to Vortech's. I'm considering one of these for my 8.1 Silverado when they have programming for the 2002s.

If your considering a Whipple we're running a GP through 1/31. Just e-mail for pricing

Tom

Quick Reply: Can I magna-charge my 8.1 liter truck?