Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

pro turbo kit??????

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2010, 09:45 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default pro turbo kit??????

Hey I just bought a pro turbo kit with a 62-1 turbo and i was wondering whats the largest turbo i can run on this kit. It can with a racetronics pump and 42lb ingectors and lots of other stuff. I plan on building the motor i know rods and pistons for sure and studs but not sure about the rest. So if anybody has ran this kit and how they liked if and what not.
Old 03-06-2010, 08:05 PM
On The Tree

hurd that you can run any t4 turbo up to a tc78
Old 03-06-2010, 08:55 PM
TECH Regular

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I have run a pt88. As a matter of fact I still have this modified kit layin around. Let me know if you need some parts or info.
Old 03-06-2010, 09:14 PM
Teching In

how did the pt88 run with that kit why you take it off
Old 03-07-2010, 01:09 PM
TECH Regular

It ran ok but keeping things cool became an issue. You will be boiling power steering fluid without a good cooler. The main draw back is the small DP. It would generate VERY high exhaust temps and spool time was affected. You really need to box the frame and get the stock radiator away from the turbo.
Old 03-08-2010, 12:50 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

pro turbo kit ? i never heard of them. can you post a pic

it is probably the same as the tti street kit
Old 03-08-2010, 05:17 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by nossty1
It ran ok but keeping things cool became an issue. You will be boiling power steering fluid without a good cooler. The main draw back is the small DP. It would generate VERY high exhaust temps and spool time was affected. You really need to box the frame and get the stock radiator away from the turbo.
Ok this is what im looking for someone who knows the problems with this kit. I was wondering about the turbo lag part because when it was on my buddies car it had a fair amount of lag for the size turbo and just never felt to really come on really strong considering the amount of lag.... I was wanting to change the turbo to a tc78 or gts78 but im worried about it being really lagy. i guess i can fix the power steering part of it. What you mean by boxing the frame to move the turbo?? thanks for your help
Old 03-08-2010, 08:19 AM
TECH Junkie

I run a T-76GTQ with the PTS kit, running 16 psi of boost. I reach full boost right by 3400 RPM.

I've never boiled PS fluid, though I do have all the PS lines wrapped up with shielding.

It's a front mounted turbo system, so underhood temps are going to be a problem of course. I stopped having any temp problems when I put a FAL puller fan on the radiator passenger side and dual FAL pusher fans on the front of the AC condenser. Now that was a tight fit! Also, my cowl is cut in the back, so at a stop air flows out the back of the hood as if the car was moving... Made a huge difference.
Old 03-08-2010, 11:30 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by bboyferal
I run a T-76GTQ with the PTS kit, running 16 psi of boost. I reach full boost right by 3400 RPM.

I've never boiled PS fluid, though I do have all the PS lines wrapped up with shielding.

It's a front mounted turbo system, so underhood temps are going to be a problem of course. I stopped having any temp problems when I put a FAL puller fan on the radiator passenger side and dual FAL pusher fans on the front of the AC condenser. Now that was a tight fit! Also, my cowl is cut in the back, so at a stop air flows out the back of the hood as if the car was moving... Made a huge difference.
hey thanks for the input what size down pipe you got and what all you got done to your motor. You got any pics???
Old 03-08-2010, 01:41 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by vette2664
hey thanks for the input what size down pipe you got and what all you got done to your motor. You got any pics???
I have the original 3" dp.

Motor is basically a stock ci LS1 with some honing, the Mahle power pack (pistons, rods, rings, etc.), a custom cam, and some aluminum 6.0L heads with dual valve springs... Low compression, methanol injection, etc.

Been running good for quite a few years now.

Some pics along with an article here:

http://www.gmhightechperformance.com..._am/index.html

Last edited by bboyferal; 03-08-2010 at 01:46 PM.
Old 03-08-2010, 03:07 PM
TECH Regular

Sorry guys, I was imidiatly thinking about the 88 since that is what I had. lol

When I had the little turbo I had no issues with cooling either. When the 88 went in with a 408 it became a whole diff ball game. I saw that one guy notched his frame right where the dp is to allow for a bigger dp and a not so violant 90 right off the larger turbo.
This would help with spool time. But for a smaller turbo I wouldnt bother.

I think I may have some old picks but I cant promise anything. I still have the kit in the garage aswell if you need anything. Stuff probably needs to be recoated though. Im going to a t6 KYTP setup.

Quick Reply: pro turbo kit??????