Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

bov and wastegate.help

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2003, 01:01 PM
TECH Addict

Location: its as intense as the time i forgot how to sit down
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default bov and wastegate.help

can anyone tell me where the vacume lines on the bov and wastegate ,its a qmp kit and there is two no each,im having a brain fart on this for some reason,thanx guys
Old 12-31-2003, 01:02 PM
TECH Addict

sorry i forgot to say i need to know where they go
Old 12-31-2003, 01:08 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not sure which BOV you have, so i can say which one goes where. But, the BOV needs to see vacuum in the manifold after the TB. Whatever port would "pull" the valve open with vacuum is the one you want.

On the gate, the port closest to the valve itself goes to a pressure source. Directly off the turbo, or at the manifold. At the manifold will give you faster boost rise, and manifold pressure about what you have the spring/gate set to. If you feed it from the turbo, you'll end up with a little slower rise and the manifold pressure will be a little lower. You're regulating turbo outlet pressure directly, and will suffer from any pressure drops in the system before it reaches the manifold.

The top port on the gate is either left open to atmosphere or connected to a boost controller if you have a regulator style.

That's how mine is setup, directly off turbo to lower port on the gates. Turbo pressure is also T'd off and feeds a o to 30 psi regulator in the car. The regulator output feeds back into the top port on the gates, and i use a 3 psi spring. Crank the dial and the boost goes up.

my BOV's have 1 port, and that is fed from where the purge valve use to feed into the manifold. I also get my fuel regulator and boost gauge feed from that location.
Old 12-31-2003, 01:08 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm assuming you have a racegate or similar external wastgate
Old 12-31-2003, 04:46 PM
TECH Addict

i have an hks wastegate,not sure wich one but its the one that came with the qmp kit and what would be better for the wastegate on the intake or the turbo,thanx for the info y2k
Old 12-31-2003, 05:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

to start off with lowest boost possible (safe) connect the side port of the gate to the turbo discharge directly.

if you want to run more boost (pressure difference between no intercooler and throttlebody in the way) later you can move the connection from the discharge to the intake behind the tb.

leave the top (bottom on qmp its mounted upside down) port open to atmosphere until you add a boost controller

for the bov it depends on the type, my hks was a pull type as mentioned above, so its one and only port needs to be connected to the intake behind the throttlebody

does your bov only have one port?

Quick Reply: bov and wastegate.help