Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Procharger twin intercooler installation

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2010, 04:26 PM
-Q-
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Procharger twin intercooler installation

Guys, I am having a hell of a time trying to figure out how to mount these twin intercoolers. I must be missing something here, because I've searched and I haven't been able to find anyone else asking this same question...hoping its something easy I'm just not seeing...

I have held the intercoolers up to the radiator support, and I marked the holes where I need to drill for the mounting bolts. Drilled the holes, no problem. How in Gods name do you get the bolts in there to drop them down from the topside?!?! I've looked at every angle imaginable, and I just don't see it. I can barely get my fingers in there, much less feed a bolt up, slide it over, stand it up, and drop it down. What am I missing? How big of a hole did you guys have to drill for this?

TIA
The following users liked this post:
fucter (01-14-2024)
Old 03-13-2010, 10:39 PM
-Q-
TECH Fanatic

Finally got it figured out...thank God for my wife's tiny hands. I would have had to fabricate something if it weren't for her...
Old 03-15-2010, 09:56 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is there any chance you can post a pic of your mounts for future reference?
Old 03-15-2010, 01:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Glad u got it done.

On a side note, about how many lbs of boost will you be running? I might consider going this route for an intercooler cuz I don't want to cut stuff up. Does what you have installed now look like it'll have issues with ground clearance?
Old 03-15-2010, 01:22 PM
-Q-
TECH Fanatic

Sure, I could take a pic. It pretty much looks just like the install from the manual or the GM High Tech Performance article, though. If you have large hands like I do, you might want to enlist some help...there's no way I could have done it myself.
Old 03-15-2010, 01:25 PM
-Q-
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Evaporate
Glad u got it done.

On a side note, about how many lbs of boost will you be running? I might consider going this route for an intercooler cuz I don't want to cut stuff up. Does what you have installed now look like it'll have issues with ground clearance?
The twin intercoolers have a pretty decent reputation for getting the job done, and there's always meth. I'm planning on no more than 8 psi until I can get a meth kit, and then maybe another pound or two max before I forge the bottom end. Ground clearance looks great...nothing from the kit hangs any lower than the bottom of the oil pan, and if you're scraping that then you've got other problems, LOL.
Old 03-15-2010, 01:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Ok thanks, that's what I heard too, might be in my near future, even though I'm running a vortech.
Old 03-15-2010, 02:03 PM
TECH Regular

I am still running the twin 3.5's also. I do not want to cut up the front on my car for a front mount. Not worth it IMO. Plus I will be adding meth in the future.
Old 03-15-2010, 02:43 PM
EPP
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://www.exoticperformanceplus.com...Car.php?car=54

We ran 16 psi of boost on this C5 Corvette, with the addition of methanol injection. The twin intercoolers on it are nearly identical to the ones that are for the f body. Bob
Old 03-15-2010, 04:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Bob, I noticed the IC's in that vette were standing vertical as opposed to the horizontal placement in the fbodies. Wouldn't it be less effective the vette's way? It does seem like it would make for better clearance.
Old 03-16-2010, 07:31 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Evaporate
Bob, I noticed the IC's in that vette were standing vertical as opposed to the horizontal placement in the fbodies. Wouldn't it be less effective the vette's way? It does seem like it would make for better clearance.
They probably are slightly less effective in a vertical position, but due to space constraints I am sure it was necessary to position the intercoolers in the vertical position. Bob
Old 03-16-2010, 10:03 AM
On The Tree

The Vettes get air coming in through the brake ducts in the front bumper whereas the F-Bodies have to scoop the air up from underneath the car. That's why the Corvette intercoolers are vertical and the F-bodies are horizontal.
Old 03-16-2010, 02:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Oh ok, good info. Thanks guys.

Quick Reply: Procharger twin intercooler installation