Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Machine shop says a 408 isnt good for boost...

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2010, 08:40 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Phil99vette
You need to find a new engine builder.
Go to ADB! They will build your short block for you and they are legit. Just bolt on your top end and ur done.
Old 03-27-2010, 08:42 PM
Restricted User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Shawn @ VA Speed
Man,i don't know why you are so quick to bust on us,nobody said we are the end all and in fact you asked me for a price at one time.If you don't like Va Speed,that's fine-but we will continue to build the BADDEST ls engines on the planet
Shawn, nowhere have I attacked you directly or indirectly. OP asked about why his engine builder would have told him not to do it. I explained what I believe to be a very legit reason why an engine builder might be against that. You guys gave your take and I gave mine. Atleast we are arguing about something that we have both seen first hand and not something that one of us heard from a buddy on some other forum about his roomate's uncle's car.
Old 03-28-2010, 07:30 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 98Z28CobraKiller
Shawn, nowhere have I attacked you directly or indirectly. OP asked about why his engine builder would have told him not to do it. I explained what I believe to be a very legit reason why an engine builder might be against that. You guys gave your take and I gave mine. Atleast we are arguing about something that we have both seen first hand and not something that one of us heard from a buddy on some other forum about his roomate's uncle's car.
For awhile though we had a pissing contest going on, Dang!!!! lol
Old 03-28-2010, 10:27 AM
FormerVendor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

5 years ago when we were doing the SBF heads for Tim Lynch/Steve Petty they were running 6.80's @ 217 in 10.5" Outlaw, they used a 4.200" stroke crank, and a SBF doesn't have a ton of sleeve length either. They used the long stroke to help the car leave the line, seemed to work...
Old 03-28-2010, 11:10 AM
Launching!

take your **** to va speed.

i would rather take it to a shop that went 7.99 rather than 8.98 with the same size motor.
Old 03-28-2010, 11:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Brian Tooley
5 years ago when we were doing the SBF heads for Tim Lynch/Steve Petty they were running 6.80's @ 217 in 10.5" Outlaw, they used a 4.200" stroke crank, and a SBF doesn't have a ton of sleeve length either. They used the long stroke to help the car leave the line, seemed to work...
What is the max stroke you would use in FI app with a factory GM block designed for a 3.622 stroke?
Old 03-28-2010, 09:53 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ls2formula
We all know the 4" stroke stuff makes plenty of power in a street strip or race car but what about when your driving 15k a year plus making a couple hundred trips down the track? I think thats where you would want a longer sleeve with the 4" stroke.
U all most hit the nail on the head for what im looking for. My goals are not high just 1k+ to the wheels,it has been done alot. Im just lost at what ci i should go with. I know a 427 will get me there but Im worried about blow by and oil consumption. I do more wot blast on the three beep race way then the track. As of now Im looking at two sponser now we will see in the future.

Quick Reply: Machine shop says a 408 isnt good for boost...