Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Simple: ATI or Vortech

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2004, 01:55 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Simple: ATI or Vortech

Who makes a better quality product and setup?

ATI Prochargers or Vortech Superchargers?

Thanks

:Austin:
Old 01-03-2004, 04:30 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm biased... I like ATI.

To me, if you want a bit more performance or OEM look or easier installation, go ATI.

If you want the "Supercharger Look" in the top of your engine bay, get the Vortech. Also, the aftercooler style may lend itself to better gains IF you use ice at the track. Otherwise, I think the Twin Intercooler design of the ATI is better.

Also, I think at higher boost levels, I'm not hearing about as many belt slippage issues. But, then again, most people seem to be running ATI, so more help is requested and more issues are reported with them.

My 2cents.
Old 01-03-2004, 04:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

kk thanks for your imput.
Old 01-03-2004, 04:39 PM
TECH Addict

Received 49 Likes on 18 Posts

2 votes for ATI
Old 01-03-2004, 06:04 PM
On The Tree

3 for ATI
Old 01-03-2004, 06:08 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by UGOT8
Who makes a better quality product and setup?

ATI Prochargers or Vortech Superchargers?

Thanks

:Austin:
I think they are probably both good systems but I opted for the ATI for 2 reasons.

1. My SS hood did not have to be cut.
2. It is a self contained unit.

The install was simple, took it to the dyno, put down 400rwhp and I am happy. I am more for the show than go. I do agree with Black LS1 T/A's comments too.

I am not knocking Vortech just because I own an ATI, I can not say anything bad about Vortech's because I have not owned one. I polished my ATI and love the way it looks.
Old 01-03-2004, 06:49 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,207 Likes on 773 Posts

I vote Vortech, the kit will fit just fine under a Firebird or T/A hood.

ATI and Vortech kits make similar power but with the ATI you have to remove the blower to change belts.
Old 01-03-2004, 10:12 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Pro Stock John
I vote Vortech, the kit will fit just fine under a Firebird or T/A hood.

ATI and Vortech kits make similar power but with the ATI you have to remove the blower to change belts.

I have a vortech, but I can tell you this, if you want technical support from them, don't even bother, I've called 4 or 5 times and each time it's "leave a message we'll call you back" the soonest they've ever called me back is 2 days later! So I'd have to NOT recommend Vortech for customer support, however the qulity and fit of the supercharger is great.
Old 01-03-2004, 10:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Another vote for ATI
Old 01-04-2004, 09:16 AM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Now that ATI uses an 8 rib belt I'd say ATI also. The Vortech is truly a well engineered piece but it doesn't leave you with much room to grow. After going with the 418 CID I could only make 5 lbs. boost with the 2.75" pulley, so I had to spend another $3500 to keep my boost up.
Old 01-04-2004, 11:32 AM
TECH Apprentice

I vote Vortech. I have been running the g-trim aftercooled kit for about 3 years. There is plenty of room to grow. All info in sig.
Old 01-04-2004, 12:28 PM
TECH Addict

Received 49 Likes on 18 Posts

what do you run for times?
Old 01-04-2004, 02:51 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,207 Likes on 773 Posts

If you are having customer service problems call up and ask for John Snee and let him know. He's a bit senior but would not want to hear that any of our guys are not being supported.
Old 01-04-2004, 09:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

Now that ATI uses an 8 rib belt I'd say ATI also.
They haven't released that one ATI. It was supposed to be ready to go a few months ago and one person actually said to "start selling them" but they jumped the gun. That one is kind of on the back burner for now.

Both manufacturers make a good system. The Vortech kit is complete with everything you need including programming, injectors and a fuel pump while these parts are to be purchased seperate for most of the ATI kits. The Vortech is rated to support up to 575 rear wheel horsepower (I've taken one that high and ran high 10s) while a few others have reported making over 600hp.

Tom
Old 01-04-2004, 09:48 PM
kp
8 Second Club

I've installed/tuned them both..

ATI:
Good - Easy install, self contained, intercoolers work great, fairly easy to tune, easy to remove.
Bad - Your car will run hot if you sit in traffic with the a.c going on a hot day due to the single fan, belt slip at higher boost levels, lots 'o heavy rubber hose.

Vortech:
Good - Nice SFI balancer, 100% complete, looks awesome with the hood up, no belt slip.
Bad - PITA install on the aftercooled kits, underhood access is a little tight, aftercooler just doesnt seem to cut it on warmer days, even though I have never had a problem directly relating to it I hate punching holes in oil pans, that the connecting rods job

They both end up costing close to the same since the ATI needs injectors, fuel pump and programming. If you are paying someone to install one and they never did an LS1 Vortech better hope they dont charge by the hour.

Customer service is hit or miss, I have had excellent service and equally crappy service from both of them - all depends who picks up the phone. They are both good systems, IMO if you dont mind tinkering around with belts/pulleys and doing your own tuning the ATI is the way to go. If you want the bling and a pretty much 'install and forget it' system the Vortech is the one. Just my opinion..
Old 01-04-2004, 11:12 PM
TECH Addict

Personally I think vortech compressors themselves are better quality - based on personal/friends experience (I know vortech uses much better bearings than what we saw in a friends p600-b and ATI D1 when we rebuilt those) - and don't even get me started on ATI oil leak problems. They seem to have fixed alot of these issues in the new F-series blowers, but I haven't heard/seen of them trickling down to the P or D series. Go to any big mustang blower board and do a search for "ATI and Oil and leak" .

Then we we talk about the kit let's bring up issues like ATI brackets ( not the best quality - flex pretty easily), or belt alignment (what belt alignment). Do a search on this forum for that - most people who try and push beyond what the stock kit is pullied for run into these problems.

That said, if you are going to stick to a stock motor/lower boost, etc. say 8lbs-10lbs, the ATI kit will probably work just fine - you will be within the tolerance limits of most things and as such the above issues will contribute to decreased belt life issues, but won't prevent the setup from working.

Also I am very disappointed in ATI for not providing compressor maps to *anyone* at all. You can't get an ATI compressor map. They have to have them, but they just will not give them out. Vortech, Paxton, virtually *every* turbo company, etc. provide these - you can't really choose a proper compressor without them - but ATI doesn't.

But again, depending on what your goals are the kit can still work and make power - but I think you are much more likely to have problems/issues with the ATI setup, especially if you want to push the edge.

That said I am *not* a fan of the vortech aftercooler. There is the aforementioned clutter under the hood, plus the whole air/water vs. air/air debate. If this were a huge drag blower then yeah, air/water is great - but for something like the G-trim I would do air-air in a heartbeat.

Which is my other issue with the vortech kit - I wish they offered a larger blower - the G-trim, as a few have proven, is a nice fit for a ls1 when you pulley it down so you max it out, but it still comes down to a massflow limit. The G-trim probably isn't even as big as a P-trim - which is good if it still meets your power goals as you will get boost quicker and have more area under the curve, but it still ultimately limits you. According to ATI's printed specs the D1 is a huge blower, roughly comparable to a YS trim. Of course don't know how true that is as they won't provide compressor maps , but that's what they "claim". A vortech T-trim would be a nice upgrade option, and pretty well matched to a street buildup, especially with a larger motor. But they don't offer it from vortech.

My take? I would honestly do something like PSJ did (well, parts of it ) - get a custom bracket and throw in a S, SQ, or T-trim compressor (or bigger) - then get an aftermarket air/air intercooler, and fab up (or have fabed) your own hard piping.

If you can do any of that yourself it really won't be much if any more expensive than buying the kit, and the bonus is all the parts on the kit you would have to replace or upgrade would be eliminated - you would be doing it right the first time.

If you like the ATI compressors better I would still do the same thing - as I wouldn't want to deal with the poor brackets and tensioning system.

There really isn't that much to the setup, and on something like this it is *much* cheaper and easier to do it right the first time.
Old 01-05-2004, 03:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Vortech.
*Bling, bling*
Plenty of power.
Swap pulleys for even more power.
Swap head units for even more power.
No belt slippage issues.
The aftercooler works great (it stays cool - trust me).
I don't buy that "room to grow" business. You can crank out mega power with the Vortech V9 kit. Just add water (i.e. aftercooler), heads & cam, and a smaller pulley.
536RWHP @ 6600RPM (10.1:1 compression)
522RWHP @ 6500RPM (9.1:1 compression)
Still more RPMs left, still one pulley size left.
'nuff said.
Old 01-05-2004, 04:07 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 2001WS6Vert
Now that ATI uses an 8 rib belt I'd say ATI also. The Vortech is truly a well engineered piece but it doesn't leave you with much room to grow. After going with the 418 CID I could only make 5 lbs. boost with the 2.75" pulley, so I had to spend another $3500 to keep my boost up.

I talked with an ATI rep about this. They did have a project that took priority over the 8-rib solution, but it is back on track... they think it will be ready in a few weeks. Unless they have a less ambitious 8-rib project going on, too, I don't think this is just a "bigger CP, 8-rib" replacement deal.

They are working with ATI Performance Products http://www.atiperformanceproducts.com/ to make a "cut-above" performance solution for us Procharger guys who want to take our kit to much greater boost levels without the issues of belt slippage and crank bolt backing out. It would include pinning the crank, a larger diameter crank pulley and I also told them about how my supposed "belt slippage" was really where the aluminum bracket had deformed enough over time (where the idler pulley bolts on) and appeared to be flexing enough (under very high torque/high boost conditions) to allow the idler pulley to contact the bracket and gouge it. I actually had belts being chewed up and even snapped a couple or three times.

I have since fixed this issue with Automotion Performance's steel ATI bracket. It weighs five pounds more than the aluminum one, but it won't flex. I went from it inconsistently making 9 to 11 lb.s of boost to it peaking around 14 PSI with the same pulley combination on a 6-rib (just before the crank pulley bolt backed out again. )
Old 01-05-2004, 05:45 PM
TWS
10 Second Club

I have one of each. Can't add too much that hasn't already been said above. Both blowers are on stock internal motors and are still running the "original" pullies. 3.12" on my V9G and 3.6" on my D-1SC.

Vortech car: 463 RWHP, 432 RWTQ
ATI car: 479 RWHP, 450 RWTQ

The car with the Vortech put down those numbers with aid from the Spectacle Solutions prototype air lid. However it still has a stock TB and stock exhaust manifolds. My ATI car has a BBK TB and full FLP long tube kit.
Old 01-05-2004, 05:52 PM
10 Second Club

I haven't heard any belt slippage problems on any Vortech's. My vote would be to use the Vortech with the ATI air to air intercoolers. Best of both worlds!

My vote VORTECH.
Too bad they're so damn expensive.

Quick Reply: Simple: ATI or Vortech