Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Benefits of Headers?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2010, 03:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by DaytonaFIC6
I have searched for answers and no one seems to be able to give me a straight answer. I know LT's are beneficial for any LS car. What I did not know is if the addition of LT's without a drop in pulley size would actually hurt power numbers. Because, the boost would actually drop. Besides the thread is about which is a better value and what would you do first? Do you have anything knowledgeable to contribute?
Even though the boost pressure would drop, "boost" is not what makes the power. boost is just a measurement of restriction. youre really interested in the volume of air that your S/C is blowing through the engine. the amount of air would not decrease, just the pressure(aka restriction) would be dropping. and with that being said, if you S/C is set to regulate pressure to 9psi or whatever, with a drop in boost pressure, it will be able to increase the volume of air while still maintaining 9psi. thats why adding longtubes will help even more than if it was N/A.
Old 03-31-2010, 03:28 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by KILLER-LS1
Even though the boost pressure would drop, "boost" is not what makes the power. boost is just a measurement of restriction. youre really interested in the volume of air that your S/C is blowing through the engine. the amount of air would not decrease, just the pressure(aka restriction) would be dropping. and with that being said, if you S/C is set to regulate pressure to 9psi or whatever, with a drop in boost pressure, it will be able to increase the volume of air while still maintaining 9psi. thats why adding longtubes will help even more than if it was N/A.

X2!....the more flow the more power you make. You may lose a PSI or 2 but you'll pick up power as your setup flows more CFM.
Old 04-01-2010, 01:05 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like full exhaust is going to be my next mod. Thanks guys. Has anyone gone from s/c only to s/c with LT's? If so how much of a gain did you see 30-40rwhp maybe?

Quick Reply: Benefits of Headers?