Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Benefits of Headers?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2010, 02:32 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Benefits of Headers?

I am planning to do some mods in the near future on my '05 coupe with a manual trans. My mods are basically a P1SC with a 4.25 pulley and a Cobalt SS 2bar MAP. I am wanting to know the benefits of adding long tubes. Is it the same as an N/A car? Or does it just make the stress on the motor less because of the loss in boost, ie no gains in power but same power with less boost pressure? Would I benefit more from longtubes or should I do a boost a pump, bigger injectors, valve springs and a smaller pulley all while switching to E85? I think switching to E85 with all the required mods will be a little more $ with tuning but I will see a major improvement in power. Longtubes will give me more sound, less stress on the motor and maybe a small increase in power. If there is an increase in power, how much did you gain?
Old 03-30-2010, 06:01 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

just switching to E85 without any other changes won't really increase your power. it allows you to turn up the boost and make more power, but if you drive the car often, your MPG will drop dramatically.
Old 03-30-2010, 12:03 PM
TECH Apprentice

Your forcing air in to the motor... You need to get the air out! IMO LT headers play a bigger role in FI cars than NA cars.
Old 03-30-2010, 01:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

yea bud i bet if you slap some long tubes in and a tiny cam your lookin at near 80 hp i bet
Old 03-30-2010, 07:22 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by pber13
just switching to E85 without any other changes won't really increase your power. it allows you to turn up the boost and make more power, but if you drive the car often, your MPG will drop dramatically.
This is completely wrong. E85 allows you to advance timing resulting in an increase in power. Two identical cars with the same setup, one on gas and one on E85, the E85 car will make a significant amount more power especially on an FI car. Mileage does decrease because stoich is about 30% richer than gas. This is not that big of a deal for me, I have a DD and I already average 20mpg anyways. This is not the first car I have ran on E85, I know a thing or two about corn juice we have alot of it in Indiana.
Old 03-30-2010, 07:30 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by ttranssam
yea bud i bet if you slap some long tubes in and a tiny cam your lookin at near 80 hp i bet
Yeah I know a blower cam and longtubes will help me alot. I would do a big nasty blower cam not a tiny one anyways, haha. But, the addition of a cam will force me to upgrade my fuel system anyways. As a result I would switch to E85 regardless. I am working on a budget. I am sorry I forgot to mention this in my original post. If I wanted to do everything (cam, pushrods, springs, pulley, 1200hp return style fuel system, LT's, and E85) I would but I can't right now. Just trying to make a step towards that goal but I don't know which I should start with first. I do know I need more fuel(injectors at 98%) but need to get the air out also. I just was asking opinions of what each of you would do and what the most beneficial is.
Old 03-30-2010, 07:44 PM
9 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by DaytonaFIC6
This is completely wrong. E85 allows you to advance timing resulting in an increase in power. Two identical cars with the same setup, one on gas and one on E85, the E85 car will make a significant amount more power especially on an FI car. Mileage does decrease because stoich is about 30% richer than gas. This is not that big of a deal for me, I have a DD and I already average 20mpg anyways. This is not the first car I have ran on E85, I know a thing or two about corn juice we have alot of it in Indiana.
Actually he was COMPLETLY right. He said switching to E85 WITHOUT ANY OTHER CHANGES will not amke more power. Then you said he is wrong.....because adding timing adds power. LOL. The extra timing or boost will add power, the fuel makes little difference.
Old 03-30-2010, 09:01 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by ninetres
Actually he was COMPLETLY right. He said switching to E85 WITHOUT ANY OTHER CHANGES will not amke more power. Then you said he is wrong.....because adding timing adds power. LOL. The extra timing or boost will add power, the fuel makes little difference.
Actually, the fuel makes a difference b/c it gives you the ability to add timing. Also, the fuel gives lower IAT's resulting in more power, so the pure cooling effect of ethanol is beneficial. It is kind of stupid to be splitting hairs like this. I think you know what I meant, there is no need for elementary posts like this. It really gets annoying. Also, why would I do E85 without any changes to the tune? If I did that my motor would not be running long, as I would be 30% too lean. That would be like running a gas car in closed loop at 19:1, lol. Finally, refer to my first post. I mentioned supporting mods and tuning as part of switching to E85.

Last edited by DaytonaFIC6; 03-30-2010 at 09:16 PM.
Old 03-30-2010, 09:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Seems I have seen just the opposite. E85 cars making less HP than gas cars. I cant see how ethanol will affect IAT's?? I see where ethanol has a cooling effect in the combustion process but not prior to that.
Old 03-30-2010, 09:14 PM
Staging Lane

How many E85 cars have you owned? Is there even E85 in Arizona? Do a little research. Although E85 has less energy potential than gasoline in the same volume, you use more in the combustion process and it carries it's own atom of oxygen in. We all know lots of oxygen is good for power. As far as IAT's being lower, you are right it is a result of the combustion process. Think about what you said for a minute. If the combustion process is cooler, then the engine makes less heat resulting in lower underhood temps. Lower underhood temps would then result in lower IAT's, ie less heatsoak and even further advanced timing than gas.
Old 03-30-2010, 09:38 PM
12 Second Club

If your so knowledgeable about fuel types how do you not know something as simple as headers being a huge benefit to a car with a blower? Take your own advice and do a little research.
Old 03-30-2010, 09:54 PM
Staging Lane

I have searched for answers and no one seems to be able to give me a straight answer. I know LT's are beneficial for any LS car. What I did not know is if the addition of LT's without a drop in pulley size would actually hurt power numbers. Because, the boost would actually drop. Besides the thread is about which is a better value and what would you do first? Do you have anything knowledgeable to contribute?
Old 03-30-2010, 10:24 PM
12 Second Club

Headers are not going to hurt your numbers only help.

I would buy headers, valve springs, smaller pulley, boostapump, 60lb injectors and meth kit. Your stock motor will get all it wants. I really doubt a single walbro could keep up with e85 very well even with a boostapump.
Old 03-30-2010, 10:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

How many E85 cars have you owned? Is there even E85 in Arizona? Do a little research. Although E85 has less energy potential than gasoline in the same volume, you use more in the combustion process and it carries it's own atom of oxygen in. We all know lots of oxygen is good for power. As far as IAT's being lower, you are right it is a result of the combustion process. Think about what you said for a minute. If the combustion process is cooler, then the engine makes less heat resulting in lower underhood temps. Lower underhood temps would then result in lower IAT's, ie less heatsoak and even further advanced timing than gas.
Yes INDIANA we out here in old arizona have E-85. I actually know several guys running it as well. I don't see E-85 cars making this magical HP you speak of. Many times it has been discussed here and there is no denying that E-85 has less energy potential. Really no way around it. Guess I should go read......... Next time take your own advice pal and don't speak to me in a condescending tone. Thanks
Old 03-30-2010, 10:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Headers are going to help free up more power on a blower car then an NA car. There is an old issue of GMHTP where they put LT's on their P1SC GTO and gain 50+ RWHP.
Old 03-30-2010, 11:47 PM
9 Second Club

Actually, the fuel makes a difference b/c it gives you the ability to add timing. Also, the fuel gives lower IAT's resulting in more power, so the pure cooling effect of ethanol is beneficial. It is kind of stupid to be splitting hairs like this. I think you know what I meant, there is no need for elementary posts like this. It really gets annoying. Also, why would I do E85 without any changes to the tune? If I did that my motor would not be running long, as I would be 30% too lean. That would be like running a gas car in closed loop at 19:1, lol. Finally, refer to my first post. I mentioned supporting mods and tuning as part of switching to E85.
That is what the guy posted....and you said he is completly wrong. Do you see a trend in your thread? You asked a REALLY basic question that anyone with half an automotive brain could answer.

Then after anyone gave you advice or commented, you discredited them, and tugged on your own knowledge *****. You should make threads full of your wealth of knowledge for all of us to learn by, so we can ASK YOU the questions. You seem to know it all already.
Old 03-31-2010, 12:19 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Sluggish
Headers are not going to hurt your numbers only help.

I would buy headers, valve springs, smaller pulley, boostapump, 60lb injectors and meth kit. Your stock motor will get all it wants. I really doubt a single walbro could keep up with e85 very well even with a boostapump.
Thank you. This is all I was asking for. Someone finally answered my original question. I agree the single intank pump would not be enough. I am just trying to avoid doing a dual intank system. pump swap on a C6 is a PITA.
Old 03-31-2010, 12:26 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by ninetres
That is what the guy posted....and you said he is completly wrong. Do you see a trend in your thread? You asked a REALLY basic question that anyone with half an automotive brain could answer.

Then after anyone gave you advice or commented, you discredited them, and tugged on your own knowledge *****. You should make threads full of your wealth of knowledge for all of us to learn by, so we can ASK YOU the questions. You seem to know it all already.
Neither one of you answered my question in the original post though. I admit I was not sure about the headers. I know it seems relatively simple but this is my first FI car. Therefore, I needed a little guidance not a big discussion on E85. Nowhere in my original post did I say anything about E85 being god and gas sucks. I happen to be a fan of it and have seen first hand the benefits of it. Not all will agree. Would you like to answer the question of my original post?
Old 03-31-2010, 06:08 AM
On The Tree

I know that adding E85 allows you to add timing, but as was mentioned I posted "with no other changes..."

as for the headers, I agree that they will significantly help your #'s with boost. just don't go too big on the primary tubes
Old 03-31-2010, 02:42 PM
9 Second Club

Neither one of you answered my question in the original post though. I admit I was not sure about the headers. I know it seems relatively simple but this is my first FI car. Therefore, I needed a little guidance not a big discussion on E85. Nowhere in my original post did I say anything about E85 being god and gas sucks. I happen to be a fan of it and have seen first hand the benefits of it. Not all will agree. Would you like to answer the question of my original post?
My bad. I had a shitty day at work yesterday

Buy headers. They will help.

Quick Reply: Benefits of Headers?