Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

2 step help please.

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2010, 06:59 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2 step help please.

I have a msd 2 step launch controller and i want to hook it up to the brake switch to activate it. My concern is if i do that will it activate everytime i hit the brakes like at the end of a run? If so is this a bad idea? How do you activate it just hit the button and give it gas then let it go?
Old 03-30-2010, 09:28 PM
Restricted User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by daws222000
I have a msd 2 step launch controller and i want to hook it up to the brake switch to activate it. My concern is if i do that will it activate everytime i hit the brakes like at the end of a run? If so is this a bad idea? How do you activate it just hit the button and give it gas then let it go?
Clutch, brake or transbrake depending on your transmission mostly.
Old 03-31-2010, 12:43 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

would you even have to worry about it if you are decelerating? As long as you are not on the gas and the brake you will be okay right?
Old 03-31-2010, 03:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If that's really how you want to set it up I'd wire it into a TPS switch as well. That way you must meet two conditions (WOT and brake depressed) in order for the two step to activate.
Old 03-31-2010, 10:12 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if your ignition stops firing during decel of the engine I would think that nothing would happen except normal decel and lowering of rpm
Old 04-01-2010, 11:32 AM
11 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'd been doing some research about this unit. Looks like it is a direct plug-in unit inline of the coil harness. There's an activation lead that runs from the unit thats wired to either the clutch or the brake pedal. You could run a switch inline with the activation lead to prevent the unit from being 'on' at the end of the run, just flip it off before you brake at the end of the run if you're that concerned about it. That way you could also turn it off and on for the street etc. Just a thought..
Old 04-01-2010, 12:20 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What brand 2 step is it? I have a Harlan and it has a latched operation feature. I have it wired so that it activates with a momentary that also works my transbrake OR I can hold the brake pedal down and push the momentary down and let go and it will latch the 2 step on until I let off the brake pedal. It will only activate on the brake pedal if the pedal is depressed and if the momentary is pushed while doing so.
Old 04-01-2010, 07:33 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I can't see it doing anything at end of track or even if you brake but are not on the throttle.I got my msd in end of season and its on my brake switch. I was driving around a little bit around town and didn't notice any problems. As you don't normally hit the gas and brake at same time unless maybe was trying to do brake boosting on highway .
I still dont' think it would make the car go out of control or anything radical.
I am likely going to put a master arm on it and my linelock just because.

I will do some more experimenting in a week or so when have my car on road.Likely also put it thru a few 1/8 or 1/4 miles on my incar timer.

Curious to see what can build for boost off the line with the two step.I have no trans brake right now and likely not getting one. My car is not strip car ,mostly street but will do the track a few times then retire. But I play around off the track a bit too.

Quick Reply: 2 step help please.