Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Pulse welding crossover

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2010 | 07:57 PM
On The Tree

Default Pulse welding crossover

I tryed to search but came up with nothing. Im a cert mig welder and im used to repairing hvy duty equip. I started making my turbo crossover with my mig and it was a little tough, i played around with a few ways and i was wondering if it would be strong enough to pulse weld the merge and cross over. By pulse welding i mean like just holding the trigger for a sec or two and moving down half way down the old tack(stacking or stiching). I know that it will not be as strong as running a long continous bead but it will look a lot better. What do you guys think? Thanks
Old 04-07-2010 | 08:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Never had a problem mig welding tubing. Are you blowing holes? You would know better than most everyone on this site. But a constant bead would be less likely the leak. Might try smaller wire and less heat.
Old 04-07-2010 | 09:29 PM
On The Tree

yea i under stand, my work requires me to pulse weld some times and if i keep it nice and orange not letting it cool i can get it pretty seal proof, i just dont know about strength. The turbo will be supported but these things go through a lot of stress with heat and cool down.
Old 04-07-2010 | 09:45 PM
TECH Addict

I always prefer to make a bracket to the engine block to support the weight of the turbo, and then the piping JUST has to be piping...which significantly helps the strength issue.
Old 04-08-2010 | 06:04 AM
TECH Senior Member

I don't get it...you should easily be able to run a semi-continuous bead on 16ga or thicker steel (stopping to rotate the pipe to continue)

My issue is that with mig you have a fixed heat level so when you encounter an area already welded (thicker) you aren't getting as good penetration.
Old 04-08-2010 | 07:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

mild steel or stainless? if youre using enough heat you should be fine, gap the pieces of pipe if you can and itall be fine