Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

going STS Turbo, need some advice on the set up please.

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2010, 05:28 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by longrange4u
I would think you will be close to your goals as you sit... Zombie and 1320 have done alot of experiments with AR's on rear-mounts. I think that will affect your spool time but not as much your HP numbers. But I am not an expert on the AR ration effect..
I don't know either.
Old 04-24-2010, 05:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Zombie
Nope, it's been tried and failed. Haven't seen any back to back comparisons on shorties though, but I don't think they'll make any more power than a manifold under boost because of back pressure. They do have more surface area than manifolds.

A hotter gas has more energy. The hotter the gas, the less of it you need to do a given amount of work (such as spinning a turbo) which leaves more gas to be bypassed through the waste gate, turbine and housing which nets lower back pressure and higher efficiency.

hawk584, you have some issues.
Zombie- Which coatings have you tried with respect to headers? Many have found the only true ceramic coating to be made by Swain Tech (white lightning). It is one of the few that really delivers although not being very asthetically pleasing. I'm running a front mount so this is really a non issue for me, just curious.
Old 04-24-2010, 06:05 PM
12 Second Club

I would get an intercooler for sure. I am running the pro charger twin intercoolers cause I didn't wanna cut the front open.Don't worry about the cam. Ditch the resistor in the oil return pump. I just wired mine into the fuel pump wiring out back. I tapped the valvecover for the oil return instead o the stupid oil fill cap setup. Get 60lb injectors so you don't have to upgrade later. I would upgrade to a racetronics 255 pump and hotwire kit. Get rid of the long tube headers also. And if you go catless get a nice quiet muffler ad run an electric cut out.
Old 04-24-2010, 06:28 PM
Teching In

mike how much boost are you gonna run?
Old 04-24-2010, 06:34 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by eodmonkey
mike how much boost are you gonna run?
Whatever it takes to get 750rwhp if possible. Haven't really thought about boost since the motor has ported heads and a cam. I think I'll either make the power or run out of turbo before I would see high boost numbers.
Old 04-25-2010, 04:45 PM
Teching In

you and i are going to have a similar build. i'm doing a 383 ls1 with a rear mount t76/.81 ar, heads and compcam turbo cam. my cr is gonna b 9.0-1 with either 70cc or 72cc heads. . i think the t76 is good for somewhere around 700-800 hp. i'm gonna push 10lbs to start and if the dyno looks good i'll go to 15. its still a weekend dd for me and i'm only lookin to go 6000rpm max.
Old 04-25-2010, 08:28 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by spaz1
I would get an intercooler for sure. I am running the pro charger twin intercoolers cause I didn't wanna cut the front open.Don't worry about the cam. Ditch the resistor in the oil return pump. I just wired mine into the fuel pump wiring out back. I tapped the valvecover for the oil return instead o the stupid oil fill cap setup. Get 60lb injectors so you don't have to upgrade later. I would upgrade to a racetronics 255 pump and hotwire kit. Get rid of the long tube headers also. And if you go catless get a nice quiet muffler ad run an electric cut out.

TRUST THESE TYPES OF STATEMENTS!!! I DID ALONG WITH SOME HELP AND YOU CAN BUILD YOUR OWN DAMMED RM TURBO....HERES THE WORLDS FIRST REMOTELY MOUNTED LS4!! LOL....Everything that I have taken from Zombie and the other guys pioneering these things.....IS TRIED AND TRUE!!!

Intercooler is good idea!

Im on manifolds OE into a single down pipe to the back as Im fwd so a RM was a perfect fit for my car!!

255 Walbro and rewire!

60lb injects or larger depending on power goals and fuel and fuel type goals

I had an old STS pump sent to me upon me doing my build and it was one of the old ones....it leaks out of the T housing!! they swapped no problem and someone posted about the hi low...they do not have that anymore...and the little valve before the turbo and in line with oil is the check valve...keep that oil from draining into your turbo housing while not being pumped...

we turned 385/446 (THIS CAR STOCK RUNS 231/252) All on a MP T70, FMIC, 8psi on pump gas NO SPRAY on a baby 325ci LS4 FWD 5.3L V8 at a 12.0 afr and 18* of timing....using the methods posted up all over this forum by the rearmount pioneers...so hail to them!!

Next stop E85! LOL going for 450!

see my build thread LOL

first time i can say....this is my $0.02! HA!!
Old 04-25-2010, 09:03 PM
Launching!

Figured sense I said something about the LT's and not the rest of your questions I would loop back..

#1 Min upgrade to a new Walbro 255... that will handle what you are doing (if you stay at 8lbs and NO MORE).

#2 Save your money... get it tuned by a good shop that knows what they are doing. Do it for 8lbs of boost and you will be good.

#3 I wanna add some reccomendations (and echo some of what the other folks have said)..

- Buy an intercooler kit.. in my opinion... this is a must!
- wrap your exhaust from your exhaust manifold to the turbo (get rid of the LT's).... this will GREATLY improve your performance.
- spend $300 bucks and buy a set of truck heads (6.0L truck heads) and put them on... that will drop your CR by a point. (Great saftey for your engine)
- reccomend 42# injectors min... if you think you will EVER go above 8lbs (10-12) then start with 60# high imp injectors. You can get a gooooooood tune that keeps your fuel ratio VERY safe... you could run 10lbs all day (with the above mods)

So... to answer #3 With the above mods I reccomended, and a mild cam, I put 585RWHP down at 10lbs through my STS.

WARNING... I then went to the track.. ran an 11.01 1/4... was so excited, turned it up ~1-1.5 lbs to get that "10 sec run"... blew up my #7 piston.

If I had 60# injectors and a better tune for them... I would have been ok. But I ran on 42#'s... with a tune for 9lbs.. and

Now I am hooked... and in the next two months I will (WILL!!!) run the first 8sec run in a rear-mount F-body.. oh.. and nothing is STS on my car anymore.
well injector wise im good i got ford green tops, if u guys know any about tuning then u would know that the ford green tops converted to gm fuel pressure equates to 52 lb/hr injectors not 60's yes but plenty good for 8 psi, no more just like u said, as for tuning im a fairly experienced tuner for f bodies, although i never went FI ill figure it out im not payin 500+ dollars for a tune, i can figure out myself, im gettin the walbro fuel pump, and im puttin the stock manifolds, a dynomax off road y pipe all exhaust wrapped, and puttin in the EPP FI cam like stated earlier. as far as the intercooler goes, its on the list but i may not be gettin it on towards the middle of summer. BUT, its on the list nevertheless. tuning wise im going 2 bar map, i know plenty of guys who have 2 bar systems and have had great success, im pretty sure im made.
Old 04-25-2010, 10:08 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by eodmonkey
hey since this is a current thread mind if i jump in? i have an 02 z with an sts kit. since i threw a rod bearing and probably blew a piston ring with it im doing a 383 stroker, heads n cam, bigger turbo. i was thinking of going to 9.0-1 for 10-15psi on pump gas. its still a partial dd so i want to keep it acting the same, maybe spool a lil sooner. sound like a good plan? also blacklightning pick up a wideband a/f. if your tuning it yourself get the diablo and work with the guys from sts or just take it to a dyno n its faster. also if you really really want a cam, sts does have a thing with compcams for turbo grinds. but look at a head and cam pack together its just easier
thx for the input lol i actually already have a wideband and i have access to a dyno here at my college, AND i have hp tuners, way better than diablo, i tuned my own cam only already so no way in hell im lettin someone else do it. lol
Old 04-25-2010, 10:40 PM
12 Second Club

if you look as far as turbo cams...there are few a select companies that will do custom grinds for you for a RM set up....specks out like example: 277/273-227/223 (115 LSA) looks weird but think about the whole exhaust energy concept....now the numbers make since...
Old 04-26-2010, 05:43 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Rossko85
if you look as far as turbo cams...there are few a select companies that will do custom grinds for you for a RM set up....specks out like example: 277/273-227/223 (115 LSA) looks weird but think about the whole exhaust energy concept....now the numbers make since...
def def man thx, ill check that out for sure big time.
Old 04-27-2010, 12:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I just finished my install, and I would say you need atleast 3 sets of the Taylor heat wrap (although a portion of mine had the metal skin burn and flake off... wow). Also, the install manual is ****. Get Chris's email address from STS and keep him on tap during the install. Oh yeah, I have a FMIC on my car as well, and for sure worth the investment.
Old 04-29-2010, 05:39 PM
Launching!

u guys think ill be alright with 3.73 gears?
Old 04-29-2010, 11:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

yeh you will I had them before I put in my 3.42's (I broke the 3.73s) I can't say that I felt the difference because I also put a 4L80 with 3600 stall in with wrapping the exhaust. So with those factors in the way I can't say if changing the gears made that bigga difference
Old 04-30-2010, 05:55 PM
Launching!

Talking

Originally Posted by The Fugitive
yeh you will I had them before I put in my 3.42's (I broke the 3.73s) I can't say that I felt the difference because I also put a 4L80 with 3600 stall in with wrapping the exhaust. So with those factors in the way I can't say if changing the gears made that bigga difference
gotcha man thx for the input, yea i have a built moser 12 bolt, but i just wanted to be sure. the build for the turbo is going to happen sometime in the summer, cuz i have to get a bigger fuel pump, y pipe, wrap , 2 bar, etc.... but ill post my build once i get it done, also, how muh does the sts FMIC cost, im just planin on upgrading some time in the summer after i get it runnin.
Old 05-02-2010, 11:09 PM
Launching!

o one more question, how much boost do you guys think the stock bottum end can handle, i have a fully built valvetrain so thats not an issue but i was curious to see what u guys think.
Old 05-04-2010, 08:43 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by Blacklightning744
o one more question, how much boost do you guys think the stock bottum end can handle, i have a fully built valvetrain so thats not an issue but i was curious to see what u guys think.
Depends on your CR and fuel setup... if you went with the 60lb injectors with a very wet tune, and the 6.0 heads that we suggested I would say 10-12lbs.
Old 05-05-2010, 04:03 AM
Launching!

Depends on your CR and fuel setup... if you went with the 60lb injectors with a very wet tune, and the 6.0 heads that we suggested I would say 10-12lbs.
ok thx, yea ima stayin with the ford greenies so about 52 lb/hr, and cr is stock 10:1, so i dont want to go more than 8 psi, just curious tho to see how much i could get away with. im startin out tuning wise at about 6-7 psi then workin my way up to 8 psi once i have things pretty well dialed in.
Old 05-11-2010, 01:57 AM
Launching!

ok so hey got another question for ya turbo guys, should be runnin meth injection i have a meth kit that came with my system but im not sure if i should use it or not, also u guys think ill make over 550 with the this setup? my build is going to be:
sts turbo obviously, the epp cam, stock heads so CR is still 10:1, ford green top injectors, wit the walbro 255 L pump, hopin to run 8 psi with it, im startin my base tune however at around 5-6 psi then once things are fairly dialed in ill pump up boost to 7-8 psi. for now im passing on the FMIC, however its on the list, i figure the system came without one for several yrs so it cant be to terrible to not get one...... for now that is lol. but any way im hopin to make around 550- 600 rwhp is that doable with the setup i have listed?

thx guys,
Tom
Old 05-11-2010, 09:16 AM
On The Tree

the sts systems that didn't come with a fmic did recommand meth at 8psi. I don't think you'll see 550-600 @ 8 psi especially with nothing to drop the iat's. I'd expect more in the 475-490 range.

Quick Reply: going STS Turbo, need some advice on the set up please.