TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by cjmatt
This thread is full of bad info...

Speed Density is beneficial when...

1) you max out the MAF
2) you want an atmospheric BOV
3) you want to tune yourself and go boosted

If you have a proper SD tune, you wont go lean when it gets colder or you go down in elevation. The computer has an IAT (intake air temp) multiplier to compensate. Also, your MAP sensor takes altitude out of the equation as its compensating for air pressure

Speed Density takes the air temp, air pressure, and RPM and feeds it into an algorithm with the volumetric efficiency to determine the same value that the MAF is providing. Once the MAF no longer can provide the readings you need, you need to let SD do it for it.

thank you
Old 05-06-2010, 08:45 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I went to SD tune, I loved it.
Old 05-09-2010, 09:45 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

so i guess im going with speed density
Old 05-12-2010, 02:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Question

I have 2 questions, i'm kind of learning in this topic so sorry if they are stupid questions!

1-can i use efi live to make a SD tune?
2-if i use the 100mm MAF can i still usind it above 500HP rage and i still going to have the ability to have good results with my tuning?
Old 05-12-2010, 10:15 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by fastsspr
I have 2 questions, i'm kind of learning in this topic so sorry if they are stupid questions!

1-can i use efi live to make a SD tune?
2-if i use the 100mm MAF can i still usind it above 500HP rage and i still going to have the ability to have good results with my tuning?
Yep, you can use EFILive...

If ou go SD, no need for the MAF, just get a longer hose to connect the lid the the TB.

Over on the EFILIVE forums, there is a write up to follow.. At the end just dont change a few settings and it stays in SD. Then just dial in your VE tables.
Old 05-12-2010, 01:03 PM
TECH Addict

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Dallas Performance is using both MAF and SD on their forced induction vette builds. Not sure how they do it, but they have stated that multiple times.
Old 05-12-2010, 01:06 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by No Juice
Dallas Performance is using both MAF and SD on their forced induction vette builds. Not sure how they do it, but they have stated that multiple times.
If you still have your maf in, then alls you have to do is have your V2 with both programs in it then upload which ever one you want, SD or MAF tune.
Old 05-12-2010, 01:08 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by waterbug1999
If you still have your maf in, then alls you have to do is have your V2 with both programs in it then upload which ever one you want, SD or MAF tune.
I understand that but they are saying the two are working together, no uploading required.
Old 05-12-2010, 01:09 PM
10 Second Club

I understand that but they are saying the two are working together, no uploading required.
oh gotcha..
Old 05-13-2010, 09:45 AM
TECH Resident

This is true. My car was tuned in this "hybrid" way before. I dropped the car back off to them on Monday to go full OLSD.
Old 05-13-2010, 10:12 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by 1971ls1
im doing a turbo ls1 and wondering what is better, a speed density setup or mass airflow sensor i know this is problably a common question but i havent been able to find an answer
SD /thread

Old 05-13-2010, 02:20 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 02blackbeauty19
This is true. My car was tuned in this "hybrid" way before. I dropped the car back off to them on Monday to go full OLSD.
Can you give us some details on it, or do they just allow the computer to guess at how much fuel to add once the MAF is maxed?
Old 05-13-2010, 05:03 PM
TECH Resident

Can you give us some details on it, or do they just allow the computer to guess at how much fuel to add once the MAF is maxed?
I don't know a whole lot about tuning and don't own any tuning software but I will tell you what has been told to me from my understanding.

He said it is very hard to explain in depth about how it works when the MAF is maxed out but basically fueling is controlled only by RPM after that point. It can not be determined how much load there is but it knows that it is above the maximum readable load so that value stays constant.

Basically it works, but it is not ideal. The tuner would have to build in a extra margin of safety into the fueling so that under different weather conditions and loads there is plenty of fuel. Methanol injection would help even further.

SD tunes will actually allow you to tune boosted VE tables.

Make sense?
Old 05-13-2010, 09:28 PM
10 Second Club

I bought my 2002 SS used and the previous owner had it SD tuned. It ran great. It
felt strong from a launch. I bought it in August, well after a few months the night time temps dropped below 50 degrees and the car wouldn't start. I had to hold the pedal down a little to keep it from stalling out. Once the motor warmed up a little it surged until it was almost fully warmed up then it idled fine. If temp doesn't effect SD tuning then what was going on with my car? The next morning it did the same thing, so i pulled the IAT sensor out of the lid and warmed it up in the house and i was rolling the sensor in my hands. Then i reinstalled it back in the air lid and the car surged some but it did idle better and i didn't need to hold the pedal down. After that i just had a stock file flash in my PCM and it's been fine ever since. But i still think the car ran better with the SD tuning once it warmed up.
Old 05-13-2010, 10:46 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by BlackNiteWS6
I bought my 2002 SS used and the previous owner had it SD tuned. It ran great. It
felt strong from a launch. I bought it in August, well after a few months the night time temps dropped below 50 degrees and the car wouldn't start. I had to hold the pedal down a little to keep it from stalling out. Once the motor warmed up a little it surged until it was almost fully warmed up then it idled fine. If temp doesn't effect SD tuning then what was going on with my car? The next morning it did the same thing, so i pulled the IAT sensor out of the lid and warmed it up in the house and i was rolling the sensor in my hands. Then i reinstalled it back in the air lid and the car surged some but it did idle better and i didn't need to hold the pedal down. After that i just had a stock file flash in my PCM and it's been fine ever since. But i still think the car ran better with the SD tuning once it warmed up.
SD tunes are only as good as the tuner can make it.
Old 05-14-2010, 08:13 AM
Restricted User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

SD tunes are only as good as the tuner can make it.
Just like a MAF tune.

The newest LSx cars do not have a VE table (that's how you SD tune) from the factory and run solely on MAF. For these applications, it is not a simple switch to convert to SD. This is why lots of newer vettes and stuff are MAF with FI.
Old 05-14-2010, 09:58 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 98Z28CobraKiller
Just like a MAF tune.

The newest LSx cars do not have a VE table (that's how you SD tune) from the factory and run solely on MAF. For these applications, it is not a simple switch to convert to SD. This is why lots of newer vettes and stuff are MAF with FI.
Yes, just like MAF, However, Im sure you know that SD tunes are more involved. Thats more of what I was shooting for with that statement.

Also, you're right. I forgot to mention that I was referring to older-style GM PCM's.
Old 05-14-2010, 12:51 PM
Restricted User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yes, just like MAF, However, Im sure you know that SD tunes are more involved. Thats more of what I was shooting for with that statement.

Also, you're right. I forgot to mention that I was referring to older-style GM PCM's.
For sure it requires more time and involvement where as the MAF has more fudge factor.
Old 05-15-2010, 07:04 AM
11 Second Club

Actually, the newer vettes do have an sd method of fueling, however it isn't layed out like a gen 3 or the early gen 4 ecu's, there are multiple tables which the ecu calculates to create a ve table which isn't visable.... this is why a member on hptuners forum created a table generator, so that u can data log afr error as in older ecu's and apply it to the ve table which is generated by another program and then it didvides back into the diferent tables again so u can apply it to the actual tune...

I tuned a friends 08 vette with a vortech, and did a maf tune, I did it this way simply because it was easier, didn't have to upgrade os, and newer ecu's and maf can read much more hp than older ones so there was no table fudging

Quick Reply: MAF or speed density