Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

My Burkhart Intercooler setup!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2010, 09:03 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's a cool looking setup. Realistically that I/C is efficient to 1100hp or so.
Old 05-16-2010, 05:15 PM
TECH Regular

Ill post more pics when the intercooler is installed and ill put some info up of iat's once the car is all together
Old 05-16-2010, 05:33 PM
Restricted User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Lythropus
Who makes that massive 24x12x6 core?
I believe that it uses a Bell Core and fabricated at Speed Inc. I actually bought it use (new in box) from a guy from BMR so I don't have the original purchase receipt.

As for efficiency, as previously stated by the other poster, the pressure will find the path of least resistance. Remember that your backpressure (after the initial hit) goes all the way back to the compressor housing. That means that every passage is full in the IC and everywhere else in the system all the way to the top of the intake valve.
Old 05-16-2010, 07:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In a fluid dynamic sense the above cooler is not using the top and bottom rows to it's fullist cooling capacity, as dynamically the majority of the air will flow down the middle
Old 05-16-2010, 07:28 PM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by smokinHawk
In a fluid dynamic sense the above cooler is not using the top and bottom rows to it's fullist cooling capacity, as dynamically the majority of the air will flow down the middle
Why? Please explain because the way that I understand it, there would have to be less pressure in one bar than the other for that to be the case.
Old 05-16-2010, 09:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

air doesn't "turn" until it hits a blockage (pressure) unless you are flowing close to the max amount of volume that the core can handle it would in fact go right down the middle because there is nothing in the end tanks to direct it otherwise. That's how I percieve what smokinhawk is putting it. I might be wrong on that but that's how I think the airflow in the core would behave. The 6 inch width can flow more than the typical 3 or 4" and there isn't any "channeling" going on in the end tank going from 2.5 or 3" inlet to 6" vs. the 2.5 or 3" inlet in a 3 or 4" core. Just my humble .02 cents. Correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 05-16-2010, 10:46 PM
Banned

The big picture here:

We are dealing with boosted applications. We tell the newbies, "Boost is a measure of Restriction", all the time.

The above is a true statement when blowing into the end of the said intercooler with an open end. When is a boosted application if the above qouted statement was true we would never see boost. Air in itself is its own restiction, causing the air behind it to follow the path of least restriction.

We need to be looking at this as a pressurized system, "Under Pressure" being the big picture. Air flow under pressure will follow the path of least restriction. Center IN/OUT intercoolers make better use of the core space. With that being said, in a pressurized system the core space is gonna be used period. Its all about core effectivness.

Sorry Guys. I had one of those Geek It Up moments
Old 05-16-2010, 10:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

nerd. lol just kidding Josh. You summed it up better than I did.
Old 05-17-2010, 07:24 AM
TECH Senior Member

ugg its hard to explain fluid dynamics to the untrained or non engineer..
but its not to hard of a concept to grasp, try to imagine the air is now water traveling down a river that widens. The speed of the water is highest toward the center of the river, indicating that most of the air volume is going down the center. If you have a top inlet and top outlet you keep the speed of the air the same, or utilize more of the core.
you will have a slightly more restrictive cooler but since your using more of the core you get a slightly cooler charge, its a bit of a trade off if you would rather have a cooler charge or less pressure drop.
Old 05-17-2010, 07:43 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Thanks for the nerd jargon Josh.

BTW we do not use a bell core from speed inc. It is a garrett core with custom end tanks.
Old 05-17-2010, 08:12 AM
Restricted User

ugg its hard to explain fluid dynamics to the untrained or non engineer..
but its not to hard of a concept to grasp, try to imagine the air is now water traveling down a river that widens. The speed of the water is highest toward the center of the river, indicating that most of the air volume is going down the center. If you have a top inlet and top outlet you keep the speed of the air the same, or utilize more of the core.
you will have a slightly more restrictive cooler but since your using more of the core you get a slightly cooler charge, its a bit of a trade off if you would rather have a cooler charge or less pressure drop.
That is all correct under vacuum. Once you introduce pressure, it's a different ball game.
Old 05-17-2010, 09:59 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 98Z28CobraKiller
That is all correct under vacuum. Once you introduce pressure, it's a different ball game.
no not really,
volume and pressure are still two different things.
Old 05-17-2010, 10:36 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Steve Burger

BTW we do not use a bell core from speed inc. It is a garrett core with custom end tanks.
No problem. Spent several years with my face in the books.
Old 05-17-2010, 11:05 AM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by Steve Burger

Sorry if I was unclear. I was referring to my intercooler having been fabricated by Speed Inc with a Bell core since someone asked where I got the one-piece 6" core. This has nothing to do with the OP's IC from you guys.

no not really,
volume and pressure are still two different things.
I did a little research today. Here's the most technical write up that I was able to locate that even mentions the subject and is backed by some amount of ALMOST relevant data. LOL

http://www.dvdtfab.com/intercoolertestlab.pdf

It is also good practice, when you are unable to optimize end tank design, to have the inlet and outlet at different levels on the intercooler, so as to evenly distribute the pressure differences. Otherwise with an inlet and outlet at the same “height” most of the flow will only utilize the rows of the intercooler directly in front of the inlet/outlet.
Having read the entire thing, It would seem that our end tanks are pretty well optimized compared to the square box end examples that he is talking about and then he goes on to say that it ceases to become an issue under "full boost" (which is another variable that I take to mean, pressure).
Old 05-17-2010, 11:45 AM
TECH Senior Member

i dont see the part about full boost thing not being an issue. you still have flow

basically that doc says partly on what i was trying to get across, now your bringing up turbulence issue, which i dont think that cooler will have an issue with.
ever see intercoolers with diffusers in them, they also help with bringing the air equally across the whole of the core.
Old 05-17-2010, 11:54 AM
12 Second Club

Damn thats nice!
Old 04-23-2012, 08:07 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 2002RamAir
Been waiting on this for a few weeks so here it is!! Its burkhart's air to air setup that is good for 1500hp. Let me know what you guys think...
Do you have any pics of the final installation?

Quick Reply: My Burkhart Intercooler setup!!!