Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Who here has the SMC Water/Alky Kit?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2004, 09:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Who here has the SMC Water/Alky Kit?

I'm getting ready to order mine, but before I do that I wanted to hear how you guys are running it. Any advice is appreciated. Particularly mounting location, what mixture/chemical are you using, what psi are you engaging the system, did you up boost/timing/or both after installing this system, are you satisfied with the SMC product, what size container did you buy(I'm thinking of the 2 gallon for a trunk mount)?

Thanks guys,
Mike
Old 01-12-2004, 10:15 AM
TECH Resident

I've got it . . . running the 1 gal container in the trunk area . . . I'm pretty satisfied so far! I've dynoed 575/624 on bone-stock motor and 91 octane with a 50/50 water/alky mix. Next time I'm going to try 100% alky, I think it will work better from everything I have read.

- Dug
Old 01-12-2004, 10:32 AM
TECH Senior Member

Dug,

How difficult was the install? Do you have it setup off a WOT switch?
Old 01-12-2004, 10:47 AM
TECH Resident

Chris, did not actually install it myself, I had a laundry list of things to do ( like subframe connectors ) and paid the guy to do it all at once. It doesn't look difficult at all, no more than running a nitrous kit. It is activated by boost, can be variably set. Mine comes on right around 3-4psi, plus it has a master switch.
Old 01-12-2004, 10:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

I have it. A one gallon mounted in the area between the rad support and the fascia (where the bumper support used to be). The thing is excellent! I used a "Mad Professor Eric Connelly" mixture with 50/50 Alky and water and around 4 ounces of acetone. I am on a bone stock 00 long block with only 918 springs. I run 10 pounds of boost on MI 93 octane. Absolutely zero KR, and it runs like mad. It starts up at 6-7 pounds and is at around 50% pump speed (lots of room for my LPE intake and cam and maybe 1 or 2 more pounds of boost)

If you mount the bottle in the engine compartment, it's child's play to install. If it's in the trunk, then two things:

1) Treat the line as fuel and run it OUTSIDE your passenger compartment.

2) Turn the start boost WAY down. Raymer starts at 2 pounds. It takes a while to pressurize all that line.

It's worth every dime.

SC-
Old 01-12-2004, 11:43 AM
TECH Senior Member

Cool good information
Old 01-12-2004, 02:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SS00Blue
I have it. A one gallon mounted in the area between the rad support and the fascia (where the bumper support used to be). The thing is excellent! I used a "Mad Professor Eric Connelly" mixture with 50/50 Alky and water and around 4 ounces of acetone. I am on a bone stock 00 long block with only 918 springs. I run 10 pounds of boost on MI 93 octane. Absolutely zero KR, and it runs like mad. It starts up at 6-7 pounds and is at around 50% pump speed (lots of room for my LPE intake and cam and maybe 1 or 2 more pounds of boost)

If you mount the bottle in the engine compartment, it's child's play to install. If it's in the trunk, then two things:

1) Treat the line as fuel and run it OUTSIDE your passenger compartment.

2) Turn the start boost WAY down. Raymer starts at 2 pounds. It takes a while to pressurize all that line.

It's worth every dime.

SC-
Got any pics of how you have it mounted? Starting at 6-7 lbs. how long does a gallon of mixture last you? Can you feel a power increase/decrease when the system engages?

Mike
Old 01-12-2004, 02:06 PM
TECH Resident

Mine is trunk mounted, so I have it coming on early . . . but it is a seamless transition, you can't feel a thing.
Old 01-12-2004, 02:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ChevyNo1
Mine is trunk mounted, so I have it coming on early . . . but it is a seamless transition, you can't feel a thing.
Where in the trunk? I like to be super stealthy. But I also want to put it in a spot where it isn't a complete PITA to refill. I know how hard it was to find a space for the oil catch can, so I'm wondering how you guys are doing it.

Let me know if you have pics of your trunk mount.

Mike
Old 01-12-2004, 02:23 PM
TECH Resident

Mine is not stealthy . . . as soon as you open the hatch you can see it Preferrable spot would be where I had my NX bottle, but I haven't checked to see how well it would fit. If I can think I will snap some pics when I get home. Again, not where I would REALLY like to have it, but I'll probably move it eventually.
Old 01-12-2004, 03:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by buschman
Got any pics of how you have it mounted? Starting at 6-7 lbs. how long does a gallon of mixture last you? Can you feel a power increase/decrease when the system engages?
Mike
No pics.

An Alky system adds absolutely ZERO hp. It only supports more timing, boost, compression, what have you. The objective, at least in my case, is to suppress detonation (reason for the H2O), and add a smidge of temperature reducing, octane enhancing Methyl Alcohol. Once that's in place, dial up the timing and boost until you're on the edge of detonating and back it down a notch or two (depending on how brave you are) or turn the Alky/Water up a notch or two more (if you're even more brave.) I submit that you'll stretch the head bolts, collapse the weak pistons, or break the rods before you detonate due to lack of Alky/Water... On a stock engine at least.

OBTW, a gollon lasted most of the season of being in the boost.
Old 01-12-2004, 03:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

How effective is the system with just water and no alky? Big difference in power?
Old 01-12-2004, 03:56 PM
TECH Resident

Chris, I had been asking many of the same questions . . . SJH pointed me to some NASA studies . . . it seems that 100% alky is the best. Water definitely prevents detonation, but it steals power at the same time. I dynoed on a 50/50, next time ( after valvespring install ) I will be dynoing with only alky.
Old 01-12-2004, 04:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ChevyNo1
Chris, I had been asking many of the same questions . . . SJH pointed me to some NASA studies . . . it seems that 100% alky is the best. Water definitely prevents detonation, but it steals power at the same time. I dynoed on a 50/50, next time ( after valvespring install ) I will be dynoing with only alky.
But how effective is 100% alcohol in combating detonation? Or are you saying that both water and alky combat detonation, but alky does it without costing power? If this is true, why would anyone use water?

Mike
Old 01-12-2004, 04:24 PM
TECH Resident

From what I have read and understood, the extra octane in the denatured is what is stopping detonation . . . I have no real world tests to show you, but this is what I have read. Check out this link, tons of good info!

https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-induction/119101-water-vs-methanol-injection.html

- Dug
Old 01-12-2004, 08:11 PM
On The Tree

I don't have the SMC kit but I use the stock windshield washer bottle. For my water/alky and it hold 1 gallon.
Old 01-12-2004, 10:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

Typically how long does that one gallon last?

Old 01-12-2004, 10:25 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Chris ARE 360
Typically how long does that one gallon last?

I'm not really sure how long it last because I try to refill it every other time I drive the car. The most I have run it without filling it up was at the track when I made about 10 passes 1/4 mile. And a couple more times on the way home. I think I used a third of the tank. Also, I have mine turn on as soon as I hit boost.
Old 01-12-2004, 11:18 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Neat use of a washer fluid container... considering washer fluid is basically water and alcohol...keep it functional!
Old 01-12-2004, 11:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by jrios
I don't have the SMC kit but I use the stock windshield washer bottle. For my water/alky and it hold 1 gallon.
Now that's slick! Did you send SMC your resevior and they modified it? Where are you running your nozzle to?

Mike

Quick Reply: Who here has the SMC Water/Alky Kit?