Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

SDCE J-bracket modification?

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2010, 03:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Default SDCE J-bracket modification?

I need some close up pics of the SDCE bracket.

I picked up a SDCE tensioner & SDCE 8-rib crank pulley from a seller on here. I have a stock J-bracket and a 8-rib idler & 8-rib blower pulley. I need to have my J-bracket modified to use the tensioner. I was going to send my J-bracket to SDCE, but I have called SDCE multiple times (no one ever answers) and I have emailed them with no response. If it is a simple mod that a machine shop could do easily, I'd like to get it done. But I don't know exactly how the tensioner mounts to the bracket.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Old 05-24-2010, 07:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Here ya go...

Old 05-24-2010, 07:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

Well I guess the onlything i can't see from the pics is how the tensioner is secured to the bracket. I mean it only has one threaded rod that I guess will slip into the stock tensioner cavity (correct me if I am wrong). Or is there a hole that is drilled and tapped for the tensioner to bolt to the bracket? But what keeps it in a fixed position? I have that little black L-bracket and grade 8 cap screw, but I don't know exactly how that interacts with the tensioner. Do you have any pics of the other side of the bracket?
Old 05-24-2010, 07:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

Here is another picture I found:

But I still would like someone to verbially or visually explain to me exactly how the bracket is modified to include the tensioner. I just can't really see it in all these pictures.
Old 05-24-2010, 07:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

I don't have any other pic's. The tensioner just has the 1- 1/2" bolt going through the center. There are threads cut in to the J bracket. That little black tool is to set the tention. Get every thing in place (blower, belt, pullies ECT) leave the 1/2 bolt in the tensioner a little loose place the black tool over that center bolt so the top of the tool hits the stub of spring sticking out of the tensioner. Take a 1/2 wrench and twist the tool with that bolt thats welded on, while holding the tensioner tight tighten the center bolt of the tensioner and it will stay loaded. If you loosen that center bolt the tension will twist off. The big thing to watch is you don't set the OEM tensioner pully to low or it will push the belt in to the stand off nut. If you have a buddy to help set the spring thats usually the easiest way, it can be a bitch the first time.
Old 05-24-2010, 08:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

This might help my explanation above...

Old 05-25-2010, 11:01 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by conan
I don't have any other pic's. The tensioner just has the 1- 1/2" bolt going through the center. There are threads cut in to the J bracket. That little black tool is to set the tention. Get every thing in place (blower, belt, pullies ECT) leave the 1/2 bolt in the tensioner a little loose place the black tool over that center bolt so the top of the tool hits the stub of spring sticking out of the tensioner. Take a 1/2 wrench and twist the tool with that bolt thats welded on, while holding the tensioner tight tighten the center bolt of the tensioner and it will stay loaded. If you loosen that center bolt the tension will twist off. The big thing to watch is you don't set the OEM tensioner pully to low or it will push the belt in to the stand off nut. If you have a buddy to help set the spring thats usually the easiest way, it can be a bitch the first time.
Thank you for the explaination. I have a better idea of what needs to be done. I just wish I knew exactly where the bracket needs to be drilled and tapped. Can you tell me what that little L shaped black metal piece is for that bolts to the top of the J-bracket?

Also I don't have the adjustment tool that you are talking about. I don't have high hopes for getting one from SDCE.
Old 05-25-2010, 04:26 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I speak to Wendy at SDCE at least 2 times a week on the phone. I had posted on someone elses post last week that their shop was flooded recently and they are in the process of getting a brand new shop built. They are up and running but Wendy did get behind with phone calls and emails due to the weather issues. I am getting my bracket done there currently. As far as getting ahold of them i normally just leave a message or shoot an email and Wendy calls back. I will let her know that people are still having issues reaching them.

Matt
Old 05-25-2010, 04:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 98legendws6
I speak to Wendy at SDCE at least 2 times a week on the phone. I had posted on someone elses post last week that their shop was flooded recently and they are in the process of getting a brand new shop built. They are up and running but Wendy did get behind with phone calls and emails due to the weather issues. I am getting my bracket done there currently. As far as getting ahold of them i normally just leave a message or shoot an email and Wendy calls back. I will let her know that people are still having issues reaching them.

Matt
I did send them an email. I understand they are having a difficult time right now. But they need to step up the customer service, even during this fiasco. I am not trying to bash them at all, I just want to get my bracket modified so I can use it, that's all.
Old 05-25-2010, 04:51 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just got off the phone with Scott of SDCE the co-owner. I called the regular number and he answered. I asked if they had any issues with email and he said none to his knowledge. He did say the phone rings off the hook and the noise from all the cleanup has made it difficult to hear at all times. I sent you a PM about everything feel free to respond if you would like.

Quick Reply: SDCE J-bracket modification?