Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Starting from scratch, need some opinions.

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2010, 08:06 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starting from scratch, need some opinions.

Alright well I sold my 408ci NA car and I'm ready to start a turbo build.

I'm picking up a 94 Z28 roller this weekend, comes with a 35 spline 9" with 3.55 gears, cage, etc. The car will be stripped of HVAC, ABS, and probably power steering. It will be a strip car that is abused on the street on nice weekends and etc.

I've never built a turbo car but I've done a lot of reading and am open to all suggestions. This will be my 6th fbody as well, so I'm not new to them. I had originally planned on an LQ4 build but I came across a 5.3 CHEAP from a co-worker. I'll be using that as a starter build since this is my first dip in to the turbo world, and then I will probably upgrade to a forged 370 and turn it up. The car will have a TH350/TH400 (whichever I come across first)

So, I'm looking for your suggestions on the turbo setup. It will be a front mount with truck manifolds for sure. The engine will have ARP head studs, rod bolts, stiff springs and pushrods, ls7 lifters, and a Z06 cam if I can find one. I'm also planning on pump gas, maybe switching to race gas for the strip or spraying methanol.

I've been tossing around turbo ideas for a while. Anything from a MasterPower 70mm to a PT88. I know an MP70 would be great for the 5.3 as is, but I'm not sure how much room I'll have to grow? Ultimately my goal is a 9.9X. I've considered something in the 76/78mm variety as well, because I think it would be great for a 370 and should meet my goals without having a huge spool time on a 5.3. Any input from someone with more experience than I is welcome (basically everyone).

Wastegate and blow-off valve. I really like the idea of a JGS piston type since it gets rid of the diaphram, but if there is some negativity I've missed I'm open to it. Sizing is the main question, I hear "as big as possible" but is there such thing as "too big" when it comes to this?

Boost controller. I will probably stick to springs until everything is done and going but will switch to an electric sometime. The HKS I found looks awesome, but I'm more concerned with functionality. Any input here?

Intercooler. I will probably go with the typical ebay setup and fit it myself.

Budget. I don't have a huge budget, but I don't want a halfassed build. I will wait for it before buying something junk.

I know this is a big vague thread, but I'd appreciate any help. I'll post pics as the build progresses. Thanks
Old 05-24-2010, 08:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A 370+PT88 is a very well proven combo. Setup correctly 9's are easily on the horizon. Im selling my PT88 and upgrading to a GT4788(precision) to compliment my ERL 6 bolt LS2. Should be interesting.

I am using a JGS 60mm BOV and 50mm gate though now we are going to move to a 60mm gate for the 4788. A 50mm gate will be more than adequate for a PT88. I am also going to use a Turbosmart eboost. Quite a few here are using this unit with great results. Granted there are many good options but JGS is a great one. I am running an air to water intercooler with 5 gallon tank. Its built for an LT1 car. depending on how my build turns out I might sell it for a unit that mounts in the engine bay.

Last edited by 355TurboLT1; 05-24-2010 at 08:42 PM.
Old 05-24-2010, 08:59 PM
Launching!

i tuned a 346 with a pte88 and liked it better than the 346/76mm i had at the time, i think a 76/78mm 5.3 would be a great combo.

a 50mm wastegate will be fine, i ran a 38mm on my car and it would hold 12 psi to redline.

+1 for the eboost 2, mine was great.

if your running pump gas get the alkycontrol kit.

have you considered an air to water intercooler?

good luck!
Old 05-24-2010, 09:25 PM
11 Second Club

That's kind of what I've gathered. 88mm for a 6liter or 76/78 for a 5.3. I'm wondering how far I could push a 76/78 when I swap to a forged 370?

I've considered an A2W but it will see plenty of street use (which I know water in an A2W will work just fine for street use, or ice at track). I'm open to opinions, but i'm fairly set on an A2A.

Quick Reply: Starting from scratch, need some opinions.