Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Procharger rattle

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2010, 09:20 PM
-Q-
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Procharger rattle

I've read up as much as I can on the subject, and apparently its relatively common for the Procharger to rattle a bit at idle. Sounds like some do it worse than others. Well count me in the "worse than others" crowd...this rattle is about to drive me freaking crazy. It's almost all I can hear at idle. As soon as I give it gas, it goes away, but at idle...it sounds like my car is a POS or something.

My D1SC unit was used when I bought it, so I now it's not going away at this point. Is there anything I can do about this rattle, other than go with a spring tensioner setup? I'll go with the SDCE unit if I have to, and an extra 1-2 psi would be nice, but I'd hate having the down time while I send my bracket to be modified...we don't get a lot of good driving weather here in Alaska, and I want to be driving the car as much as I can while the weather is good. Not to mention the $700 tag, which I'd love to be putting towards something else...

Any suggestions?
Old 05-27-2010, 09:35 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Youre gonna need that extra psi to beat me at the strip.

Hope you get the rattle fixed, my a/c compressor is squeaking like a mother ****** too. Its screaming "Delete me"
Old 05-27-2010, 09:49 PM
-Q-
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by XtremeDime
Youre gonna need that extra psi to beat me at the strip.
Maybe, maybe not...your 10psi and lower compression vs. my 8psi, higher compression, and 4.10s...

Something tells me I'm going to have to eat that $700 and just get the 8-rib setup...
Old 05-27-2010, 10:21 PM
TECH Addict

I would, rattles and squeaks drive me insane. Thats part of the reason why I didnt want to go with a blower.
Old 05-28-2010, 01:00 AM
Launching!

I was in the same boat as you. I also got a blower off of one of the other members of the forum. He told me up front if i wasnt used to a procharger i would think there were some nuts and bolts being eaten by the thing the first time i heard it run. He highly recommended getting the SDCE tensioner. Mine is actually there currently to get modified.
Old 05-28-2010, 06:13 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

ProCharger now offers the helical gear set that is quieter than the straight cut gears. It is under $100.00 and is offered for the P & D series.
This won't help you out with the noise you have, but I mentioned it for those who have read your post who are concerned about buying a ProCharger and having excessive gear noise. Have you tried tightening the blower belt to see if it eliminates some of the noise? Bob

PM's disabled, please e-mail me
E-mail: brutespeed@gmail.comob@brutespeed.com

https://brutespeed.com/ Link to website

Old 05-28-2010, 06:25 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 230 Likes on 162 Posts

an uneven idle will cause it, when i first fire mine up i get some of it, once it warms up, its ok-maybe you can tighten the belt, raise the idle a little
not sure if you can on FI, i run a carb
Old 05-28-2010, 10:48 AM
Launching!

GP posted on SDCE's site today....looks like a great deal.
Old 05-28-2010, 11:28 AM
-Q-
TECH Fanatic

I'm down for the tensioner. Short of raising the idle some more, I don't know what else I can do. The belt is as tight as I'm comfortable going as it is.
Old 05-28-2010, 11:35 AM
TECH Resident

I run a powerdyne Scorpion. It is similar to the Vortech. The reverse rotation model which I use has straight cut gears and it does the same thing. Sounds like someone is under the hood shaking a box of metal parts. I am doing a few changes now and will try a wrap I made when I get it reinstalled. It is a bit like the ballistic blanket they use on nitro motor superchargers. I made it out of ironing board fabric (to handle heat ) and filled it with loudspeaker acoustic fiber.
Old 05-29-2010, 06:26 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by -Q-
I'm down for the tensioner. Short of raising the idle some more, I don't know what else I can do. The belt is as tight as I'm comfortable going as it is.
The blower belt needs to be about as tight as a guitar string. Bob

PM's disabled, please e-mail me
E-mail: brutespeed@gmail.comob@brutespeed.com

https://brutespeed.com/ Link to website

Quick Reply: Procharger rattle