Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

PT88 Rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2010, 02:25 PM
Restricted User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default PT88 Rebuild

I bought this PT88 turbo used from a buddy of mine about a year ago. My drain angle is not the best but I had been able to avoid smoking by running the Delvac 15-40 oil. Now, even that wont stop it from smoking when I come to a stop or on a warm start. Pretty embarrasing. So I ordered a rebuild kit and figured I'd give it the old college try.

So far I have been able to get the turbo off and the front cover comes right off. The exhaust housing is a different story. I am going to get a can of some sort of blaster to soak it in order to get the rear cover off.
Old 04-20-2010, 02:45 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 98Z28CobraKiller
I bought this PT88 turbo used from a buddy of mine about a year ago. My drain angle is not the best but I had been able to avoid smoking by running the Delvac 15-40 oil. Now, even that wont stop it from smoking when I come to a stop or on a warm start. Pretty embarrasing. So I ordered a rebuild kit and figured I'd give it the old college try.

So far I have been able to get the turbo off and the front cover comes right off. The exhaust housing is a different story. I am going to get a can of some sort of blaster to soak it in order to get the rear cover off.
Cool.
Old 04-20-2010, 03:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like your "can do" attitude. I prefer freeze off or good old PB blaster. A little heat might get things motivated as well.

15w-40 holy molasses! Thats some thick oil man. The viscosity index on Delvac is pretty high for a gas motor and a 40wt at that. But then again it's an HDEO, so it comes with the territory. Let us know how many bolts you break! lol
Old 04-20-2010, 03:50 PM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by 355TurboLT1
I like your "can do" attitude. I prefer freeze off or good old PB blaster. A little heat might get things motivated as well.

15w-40 holy molasses! Thats some thick oil man. The viscosity index on Delvac is pretty high for a gas motor and a 40wt at that. But then again it's an HDEO, so it comes with the territory. Let us know how many bolts you break! lol
Yeah but it also has the good **** that they took out of the regular oils. My logic is that although I don't have an oil temp gage (I'm affraid to know), I bet the oil gets a bit hotter than in an NA or nitrous motor as the oil is cooling a turbo that is likely glowing red under boost. I never run it or even rev it hard after a cold start.

All the bolts have come right out of it. The penetrator is needed to seperate the cartridge (center section) from the exhaust housing cover. They are frozen together so the back cover wont even clock.
Old 04-20-2010, 04:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

i had to apply vacuum to the crankcase to keep mine from smoking.
Old 04-20-2010, 05:19 PM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by MIGHTYMOUSE
i had to apply vacuum to the crankcase to keep mine from smoking.
Electric or mechanical pump?

I was talking over my problem with the guys over at Race Parts and they said that some guys actually make like a cartridge out of a big pipe (1"), weld a male 3/4" pipe fitting on one end and then a -10 or -12 fitting on the other end. It makes a sort of secondary chamber for the oil to drop in when you come to a stop and fitting the inertia in the line. If I did something like this, I'd have to pump the oil back into the pan as I don't have enough drop.

I'm going to rebuild it and go from there.
Old 04-20-2010, 05:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

my vac comes from my intake manifold

re: rps' suggestion.. the oil comes out foamy and doesnt flow well.. they are suggesting a collection chamber below the turbo to let the oil get back to liquid so that it can roll down the drain better.

it only works if you have room.. i dont and it sounds like you don't either.

negative pressure in the crankcase definitely helps draw oil out of my horizontal drain.
Old 04-20-2010, 06:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah but it also has the good **** that they took out of the regular oils. My logic is that although I don't have an oil temp gage (I'm affraid to know), I bet the oil gets a bit hotter than in an NA or nitrous motor as the oil is cooling a turbo that is likely glowing red under boost. I never run it or even rev it hard after a cold start.

All the bolts have come right out of it. The penetrator is needed to seperate the cartridge (center section) from the exhaust housing cover. They are frozen together so the back cover wont even clock.
Couldnt agree more. Most PCMO's these days dont have **** for zinc. There is no doubt about the turbo oil temps. The diesel oils are good but I prefer a good Polyol ester synthetic like redline or Motul. You cant beat these two for racing applications. Can usually run a lighter weight as well as polyol base oils have a natural viscosity index(no need for alot of improvers which can coke rings).

Vacuum to the crankcase huh. **** one more thing to put on my list!.......
Old 04-20-2010, 09:50 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sometimes it takes alittle help from a hammer, tappy tap.
Old 04-20-2010, 10:01 PM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by MIGHTYMOUSE
my vac comes from my intake manifold

re: rps' suggestion.. the oil comes out foamy and doesnt flow well.. they are suggesting a collection chamber below the turbo to let the oil get back to liquid so that it can roll down the drain better.

it only works if you have room.. i dont and it sounds like you don't either.

negative pressure in the crankcase definitely helps draw oil out of my horizontal drain.
So did you "T" in to the brake booster and put a check valve in to keep the boost out at WOT? Catch can to keep from sucking up oil? Did you drill a fitting into the pan? Or are you just using a closed system (no breathers)?

Originally Posted by black98ws6ta
Sometimes it takes alittle help from a hammer, tappy tap.
I been dicking around with this thing all night. I got the exhaust housing free enough to where it will spin but it still doesn't want to pop off. Gonna let is soak up this liquid wrench stuff over night. Hopefully it comes off in the morning. If not, I'll swing by my engine builder's shop and have him find the right tool for me.
Old 04-21-2010, 07:43 AM
TECH Senior Member

No offense, but if you can't figure out how get the housings off the turbo, you shouldn't be even thinking about tearing it apart to rebuild...considering the rpms they turn, balance is crucial...you run the risk of really hurting it and costing you more in the long run
Old 04-21-2010, 08:18 AM
Restricted User

None taken. If I were to quit everytime someone told me I shouldn't be doing something and had to pay a pro, my car would still be in the 10's. This really isn't rocket science. Just trying to seperate one housing from the other. I just don't the right tools. My engine builder's got a great set of tools. Lol
Old 04-21-2010, 08:20 AM
TECH Senior Member

housings are one thing...but to get to the areas you need to require pulling the impeller wheels off...
Old 04-21-2010, 08:25 AM
12 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

None taken. If I were to quit everytime someone told me I shouldn't be doing something and had to pay a pro, my car would still be in the 10's. This really isn't rocket science. Just trying to seperate one housing from the other. I just don't the right tools. My engine builder's got a great set of tools. Lol
I agree with you 100%. Keep us posted on how it turns out. Pics would be nice too.
Old 04-21-2010, 01:53 PM
Restricted User

2 leg puller and just a little heat popped it right off. There's something to that science stuff.
Old 04-21-2010, 02:01 PM
7 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

None taken. If I were to quit everytime someone told me I shouldn't be doing something and had to pay a pro, my car would be in the 7.5's. This really isn't rocket science. Just trying to seperate one housing from the other. I just don't the right tools. My engine builder's got a great set of tools. Lol
Good luck, fixed your post for ya!
Old 04-21-2010, 02:15 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Electric or mechanical pump?

I was talking over my problem with the guys over at Race Parts and they said that some guys actually make like a cartridge out of a big pipe (1"), weld a male 3/4" pipe fitting on one end and then a -10 or -12 fitting on the other end. It makes a sort of secondary chamber for the oil to drop in when you come to a stop and fitting the inertia in the line. If I did something like this, I'd have to pump the oil back into the pan as I don't have enough drop.

I'm going to rebuild it and go from there.
Have you thought about a scavenge pump for the oil return?
Old 04-21-2010, 03:28 PM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by Mike@Diablosport
Have you thought about a scavenge pump for the oil return?
I've been resisting that thought.

I've never heard one running but I imagine it sounding like another fuel pump whining in the front and it's a big turn off. If this rebuild doesn't stop it from smoking, that's next on the list.

While at the engine builder's today, I made a great local turbo contact. The guy rebuilds marine turbos. Talk about lucky. He's the one that popped the housing off for me. I guess that the marine turbos are salt water cooled so you can imagine the condition of those things.
Old 04-21-2010, 03:47 PM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by Phil99vette
Good luck, fixed your post for ya!
Not all of us have deep pockets. My 8.95 street car ain't too bad on a $7K budget (complete fuel system, shortblock, cam and ALL the turbo stuff). I'll concede that I could still use another $4K of supporting mods and maybe squeeze an 8.50 out of her but I'd rather get back up and running quickly and then build on it along the way. I doubt that it would be faster if everything were the same and put together by a shop. It might look prettier but it wont run harder.
Old 04-21-2010, 04:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

So did you "T" in to the brake booster and put a check valve in to keep the boost out at WOT? Catch can to keep from sucking up oil? Did you drill a fitting into the pan? Or are you just using a closed system (no breathers)?
yes picks up crank case from driver valvecover through pcv valve in valvecover, then through a 1 way boost valve, then through a catch can then on to the intake via brake booster T

i have a fresh air source to ls6 valley cover via filtered turbo inlet pipe air.

if you dont have a vent and the engine is fairly tight, it will draw too much vacuum on the crankcase.. adding the fresh air fent gives it some, but not too much to allow the turbo to smoke.

Quick Reply: PT88 Rebuild