Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

twin turbo 416 CI LS2

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2010 | 07:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

here's some more fab pictures I took today.

Old 06-02-2010 | 07:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

I dnt think its gonna matter at all what turbos are on it. Even with no turbos the transaxle will be lucky to live thru a weekend.
Old 06-02-2010 | 08:20 PM
TECH Addict

Large amount of backpressure, basically choking the engine.
Old 06-02-2010 | 08:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1320
I dnt think its gonna matter at all what turbos are on it. Even with no turbos the transaxle will be lucky to live thru a weekend.
transaxle is built as far as we could get. Stronger gears, syncros, everything is cryo treated, and a billet side case. The bone stock transaxle in the first car has lasted through much abuse with 605 hp to the wheels. An that is on hoosier RR slicks. Broke 1 Axle shaft at the end of Speedvision testing during a doughnut. We now have 300m shafts and chrome-moly CV joints in car #1 and will have the same axles in this car.

Originally Posted by black98ws6ta
Large amount of backpressure, basically choking the engine.
Thats what I thought as soon as we got the parts, but keep getting the same answers from Turbo Technologies. They keep saying that these will do more than we are asking. I guess we will find out when it goes on the dyno.
Old 06-03-2010 | 07:09 AM
TECH Addict

Im sorry 1320 but your wrong with that one! Ultima GTRs (similar in weight to the GTM) have run Stock and modded G50s for YEARS and most have no problems. dont forget these are only around 2200lbs cars!

Please see the below link to a guy with a 1000bhp twin turbo ultima GTR that has run verious mile races (think he did 211/212mph this year).

Cheers,

Chris.

Last edited by smokinHawk; 06-03-2010 at 11:14 AM. Reason: nonsponser url
Old 06-03-2010 | 09:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by chuntington101
Im sorry 1320 but your wrong with that one! Ultima GTRs (similar in weight to the GTM) have run Stock and modded G50s for YEARS and most have no problems. dont forget these are only around 2200lbs cars!

Please see the below link to a guy with a 1000bhp twin turbo ultima GTR that has run verious mile races (think he did 211/212mph this year).

Cheers,

Chris.
On that web site, it even says, "weve broken the stock parts with only 500 hp"

With 2700 $ pulley set ups, I wonder what a "good" g50 costs.....I guess if you have to ask, its too much. In the last 5 years, they have run the tar out of the car, but never down a drag strip, except on low boost, with traction issues.....hhhmmmmmm. You would think, with ls7's and twin turbo set ups floating around the shop, they could dig up a et street tire, or drag radial for a couple passes, but most likely, they take it easy on it, because of the fear of breakage. Its not a bad idea, its a world beating car, and awesome, but if it has an weakness its the transaxle. It probably costs north of 30k and you still have to worry about it with a dynoed 822 hp in a 2200 lb car. They claim 145 mph quarter.....which if calulated to the 2200 lb weight, was 550 hp....

I wonder why? I know I always drive around at 1000 hp and go to the track and turn it way way way down.....

Last edited by smokinHawk; 06-03-2010 at 11:15 AM. Reason: quotes
Old 06-03-2010 | 05:00 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by DrTurbo
T3/T4 turbos have no business being on a 416ci LS based motor.
Originally Posted by smokinHawk
yes a t3 exhaust on a 416 will kill your engine, anyone who says otherwise is an idiot, and should stick to hondas.
Sorry gentleman, but for either of you to make a blanket statement like that is ******* retarded. This isn't a drag car and it doesn't need make to 2000hp to make the drivers butthole pucker.
Old 06-03-2010 | 05:33 PM
Shorty Director

Cool build!!
Old 06-03-2010 | 06:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

we are only shooting for around 900hp or so. Even with 600 rwhp these cars are a rocket. Even with 65% of the weight in the back, with 335 pirelli tires on the back you can white smoke the tires at 60 mph in 4th gear by just laying into it.

This car is going to be more of a street car/roadrace car, than a drag car. Im pretty possitive it won't ever see the 1320 unless the final purchaser decides to take it there.

The transaxle wasn't 30k fully built, not even half of that actually. Tranny builder said he is confident in it holding onto 850hp without a problem. If something catastrophic does happen we might switch to a mendeola transaxle, but that requires changing the entire rear frame section and other things for it to work correctly. The fabrication isn't a problem with changing to a mendeola, but you have to remember someone has to pay for us to do that ultimately.
Old 06-04-2010 | 12:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

wow, I didnt expect a mendeola to be the upgrade.

Good luck.

I have a factory 5 33 in my future........
Old 06-04-2010 | 03:08 AM
TECH Addict

On that web site, it even says, "weve broken the stock parts with only 500 hp"

With 2700 $ pulley set ups, I wonder what a "good" g50 costs.....I guess if you have to ask, its too much. In the last 5 years, they have run the tar out of the car, but never down a drag strip, except on low boost, with traction issues.....hhhmmmmmm. You would think, with ls7's and twin turbo set ups floating around the shop, they could dig up a et street tire, or drag radial for a couple passes, but most likely, they take it easy on it, because of the fear of breakage. Its not a bad idea, its a world beating car, and awesome, but if it has an weakness its the transaxle. It probably costs north of 30k and you still have to worry about it with a dynoed 822 hp in a 2200 lb car. They claim 145 mph quarter.....which if calulated to the 2200 lb weight, was 550 hp....

I wonder why? I know I always drive around at 1000 hp and go to the track and turn it way way way down.....
You are right it is the weak link in Jeffs setup. But what other option do you have with a mid engined setyup?.... They are pretty robust gearboxes if treated right. And ok you cant go to the strip and launch the hell out of the car. but is a mid engined 2200lbs car with a Group C ethos really about the drag strip?....

Chris.
Old 06-04-2010 | 07:27 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Shearer
Sorry gentleman, but for either of you to make a blanket statement like that is ******* retarded. This isn't a drag car and it doesn't need make to 2000hp to make the drivers butthole pucker.
sorry you are the idiot, several people have tried to run a t3 exhaust on a large engine and they wrecked havoc on their system. It will run sure, but it will break fast.
say something stupid again that would cause someone to wreck their engine again and you will be banned, ls1tech has no place for people giving bad advice.

turbotechnology is just trying to sell you their expensive turbos. several people have had problems with their small exhaust housing on a large engine, yet they stick to their guns that it will work to make money, and blame something else when it goes wrong. if you dig through the treads here you would find that anyone with bigger then a 346 and their kit with t3 turbos just cant make the power or their engines dont last long at all.

Last edited by smokinHawk; 06-04-2010 at 07:35 AM.
Old 06-04-2010 | 09:27 AM
Launching!

sorry you are the idiot, several people have tried to run a t3 exhaust on a large engine and they wrecked havoc on their system. It will run sure, but it will break fast.
say something stupid again that would cause someone to wreck their engine again and you will be banned, ls1tech has no place for people giving bad advice.

turbotechnology is just trying to sell you their expensive turbos. several people have had problems with their small exhaust housing on a large engine, yet they stick to their guns that it will work to make money, and blame something else when it goes wrong. if you dig through the treads here you would find that anyone with bigger then a 346 and their kit with t3 turbos just cant make the power or their engines dont last long at all.
Say something stupid and you'll ban me? Go for for it tough guy. The truth is this forum is littered with bullshit and bad info from one end to the other and I've done nothing but try to help people out with good advice here. Building turbo systems is my living and I think I am pretty ******* good at it, my customers seem to agree as well. I have notebooks filled with turbo testing on all kinds of different engines that would disagree with the blanket statement you just made.

The fact of the matter is that a pair of properly T3 framed turbo is more than capable of supporting the power this guy is looking for. Been there, done that, more than once on similar sized engines. I must be giving bad advice. He's not going to do it with some stage 3 50 trim in a .48 exhaust housing. But a 35r, or equivalent sized, turbo will get him there all day long.

From what you are saying it sounds like Turbo Technology is probably selling some undersized turbos and the end user is pushing them beyond their capabilities. Even still that alone isn't enough for it to cause a wrecked engine if it had a proper tune in it. If anything that will lead to excessive back pressure and early turbo failure.

Doesn't the APS kit use T25 based turbine housings and there are several people in the 1000whp range with those. They must be magicians.
Old 06-04-2010 | 10:15 AM
TECH Addict

I thought APS used GT35R base turbos on the Vette kits. These are T3 housings and the kit was degined for 427 engines. also the upgrade turbo by LG for the F-Body are T3 frmaed as far as i was aware. The TTI kit is also VERY popular (esp after APS stopping production) with the Vette guys and i think these are T3.

Shearer, how do you think the T4 GT325r HTA turbos would do on an engine like this? i hear some people in the EVO worl are liking them, ESP the twinscroll ones.

I see what smokinhawk is saying. back presure could be a problem on small AR turbine housings. but i would have thought the bigger ones would be ok? Has anyone done any testing of backpresure to boost levels on the LS engines?

Chris.
Old 06-04-2010 | 10:41 AM
TECH Senior Member

it was the incon that use the t25 turbos, which led to massive problems.

the t3 turbos can make big power but size to the right engine, everyone who has tried it here with larger cubes has had problems.

chuntington, its your money, if you want to throw it away listening to people like shearer go ahead.
I would listen to guys like Dr. Turbo, who works at one of the best turbo testing shops.
Old 06-04-2010 | 11:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

lol.....I too, build turbo systems for a living. The funny part to me is how everyone is so quick to judge. I personally dont like the g50 transaxle. I pointed it out and why. I still love the car, and for its intended use, knowing the short comings of teh g50 the end user can deffinately have a blast with this car.

Back on topic.....again I ask does it really matter? Too small of turbo, is exactly like running to small of exhuast. All it will do is limit hp it could otherwise make, when in reality its a trade off. They want a certain feel of the car, a certain drivers feel. If the small turbo is what does it, its cost effective, and it really doesnt matter, whats the harm? A lower power number? On a lot of turbo systems I do, I go with the smaller turbo when I have too chose between two. Why, because the end user will "like" the feel better. Will the track times suffer a tad, yea, but they may not see the track, but every once in awhile.

Anyways, in every car, sure there are things I d do differently, weather I built it or not. If the owner is happy......then job well done.
Old 06-04-2010 | 11:35 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by chuntington101
I thought APS used GT35R base turbos on the Vette kits. These are T3 housings and the kit was degined for 427 engines. also the upgrade turbo by LG for the F-Body are T3 frmaed as far as i was aware. The TTI kit is also VERY popular (esp after APS stopping production) with the Vette guys and i think these are T3.

Shearer, how do you think the T4 GT325r HTA turbos would do on an engine like this? i hear some people in the EVO worl are liking them, ESP the twinscroll ones.

I see what smokinhawk is saying. back presure could be a problem on small AR turbine housings. but i would have thought the bigger ones would be ok? Has anyone done any testing of backpresure to boost levels on the LS engines?

Chris.
I could be wrong about the APS kits, I thought I read they were t25 housings.

It all depends on what T4 housing you are referring to and what application. We'll use this guy for example. For a max effort deal he'd be better off with the large open inlet 1.06 T4 Garret housing. But he only wants to make 900hp, a T3 .82 would suit him rather well. It would be responsive and support his power goal rather efficiently. Don't get me started on twin scroll junk, there are no benefits to speak of on modern high rpm engines.

Backpressure testing? Why would anyone do that when everything they need to know about turbo'ing an LS based engine can be learned here on ls1tech? To answer you question yes I have notes on several different turbo combinations on different sized LS engines. I'm not making these statements cause it makes me feel warm and fuzzy inside, just trying to correct some of the BS that is commonly spewed on this forum.
Old 06-04-2010 | 12:06 PM
7 Second Club

it was the incon that use the t25 turbos, which led to massive problems.

the t3 turbos can make big power but size to the right engine, everyone who has tried it here with larger cubes has had problems.

chuntington, its your money, if you want to throw it away listening to people like shearer go ahead.
I would listen to guys like Dr. Turbo, who works at one of the best turbo testing shops.
Ron has plenty of experience with turbos, you need to research his background before you go slandering him.
Old 06-04-2010 | 01:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Phil99vette
Ron has plenty of experience with turbos, you need to research his background before you go slandering him.
all bad experience if he says you can use a t3 exhausts on a 416
i would never use a shop with someone who gives advice like that, i feel bad for his customers.

the aps uses some custom type that they have to buy from aps, a major pain, also it is to small for engines larger then 350 cubes.
i dont think any ls1 fbody has made over 1000rw.
Old 06-04-2010 | 02:26 PM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by Shearer
I could be wrong about the APS kits, I thought I read they were t25 housings.

It all depends on what T4 housing you are referring to and what application. We'll use this guy for example. For a max effort deal he'd be better off with the large open inlet 1.06 T4 Garret housing. But he only wants to make 900hp, a T3 .82 would suit him rather well. It would be responsive and support his power goal rather efficiently. Don't get me started on twin scroll junk, there are no benefits to speak of on modern high rpm engines.

Backpressure testing? Why would anyone do that when everything they need to know about turbo'ing an LS based engine can be learned here on ls1tech? To answer you question yes I have notes on several different turbo combinations on different sized LS engines. I'm not making these statements cause it makes me feel warm and fuzzy inside, just trying to correct some of the BS that is commonly spewed on this forum.
Cool. So how's that power steering bracket coming along?

Quick Reply: twin turbo 416 CI LS2