Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

F body procharged intercooler set-up

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2010, 09:38 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default F body procharged intercooler set-up

Doing a little research before I piece together my procharger kit for a 01 Trans am.
I've seen 2 different IC set-up's and I'm wondering which is better/easier/cheaper and why.
I see the single front mount set-up's and the procharger kit twin IC wheel well set-up.
The twin set up seems more complicated. Any suggestions/opinions?

Thanks
Old 05-30-2010, 10:15 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What are your goals? Are you planning on putting the Procharger on a stock motor or a built one? How much power do you want to make? That will determine which setup will work best for you.
Old 05-30-2010, 11:48 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Aster
What are your goals? Are you planning on putting the Procharger on a stock motor or a built one? How much power do you want to make? That will determine which setup will work best for you.
Stock bottom end, moderate boost. It's only a P1 not a D1. Maybe a cam. Nothing over 500whp most likely.
Old 05-31-2010, 12:00 AM
TECH Regular

If that is as far as you will want to go then the twin 4.5" will easily handle your goals. If you can find a complete set with the metal plenum and the thick intercoolers it will likely be your cheapest bet. It is also quieter with the bypass valve that returns to the inlet hat.

I made 540 on the stock bottom end with my old P1 and a cam so your goal should be easily accomplished. Just make sure the tune is good and don't leave your computer blind.
Old 05-31-2010, 12:04 AM
Staging Lane

If that is as far as you will want to go then the twin 4.5" will easily handle your goals. If you can find a complete set with the metal plenum and the thick intercoolers it will likely be your cheapest bet. It is also quieter with the bypass valve that returns to the inlet hat.

I made 540 on the stock bottom end with my old P1 and a cam so your goal should be easily accomplished. Just make sure the tune is good and don't leave your computer blind.
That seems to be the route most people are telling me to go. I just don't know where to find a list of all the parts I need or where I could get them lol.
Old 05-31-2010, 12:16 AM
TECH Regular

Well, I pieced my system together some time ago and still have a list of most of the parts I had to get for it. What do you have so far? I can tell you most of what you'll need to get it going.
Old 05-31-2010, 12:28 AM
Staging Lane

Well, I pieced my system together some time ago and still have a list of most of the parts I had to get for it. What do you have so far? I can tell you most of what you'll need to get it going.
Right now it's just the couplers/piping from the old kit which I know I will need some new stuff. I have the head unit and the bypass valve.
Old 05-31-2010, 01:25 AM
TECH Regular

Assuming you have nothing else, and the bypass valve is the one Procharger sends with their kits here is the list of the basic things.

Mounting and drive
  • Bracket of your choice. If you need specific information on the bolts let me know.
  • 8 Rib head unit pulley
  • .2" shim for between head unit and 8 rib pulley. Shims can be ordered through Procharger.
  • ATI Superdamper 917264
  • 8 Rib pulley to mount onto the above superdamper - Procharger Part # DC017A-8
  • ATI Crank pinning kit
Cooling/Radiator
  • Radiator hold down - Procharger part # MF006I-3
  • Upper and Lower sheet metal fan shroud (2 piece) - Procharger part # MF006I-23/MF006I-24
  • 16" fan. I recommend the Spal fan - Spal part # 30102082 PM me for source
Fueling
  • At least a Racetronix pump. For your goal their single pump is sufficient.
  • Injectors. I had gone straight to Siemens Deka 60# injectors
Air intake
  • 9" K&N Cone filter - K&N Part # RE-0920
  • Procharger intake hat - Procharger Part # AIGJ3I-8
  • 3.5" flexible tubing (Wire reinforced) goes from hat to filter
  • 3.5" short metal coupler to connect filter to flexible tubing.
PCV System
  • Catch can, preferably one with two check valve outlets such as RevXtreme's FI catch can (Have to specify dual outlet when ordering).
  • 3/8" Vacuum line
Intercooler System
If you choose to go with the Procharger twin intercooler system I have attached a picture of all the pieces laid out so you can compare it to any used setups you might find. If you can't find used or dont' want to then it isn't worth it. Build your own front mount as it is cheaper than buying a brand new twin intercooler system.

Miscellaneous
  • 1/8" Vacuum hose for supply to bypass valve.
  • You do not need the relocation brackets for the horns, You can make some minor tweaks to the existing bracket allowing you to rotate them up and out of the way.
  • If you must have the AIR system then you will need the Procharger relocation bracket - Part # AB022I-2. But if like me you have headers and/or removed the AIR pump then skip that bracket. You can move the cruise control and mount it to the frame easily enough. See my 2nd attachment for a picture of where I mounted mine. It is the black rectangle above the pipe.

I think that covers the kit needs for getting it setup.
Attached Thumbnails F body procharged intercooler set-up-p1010178.jpg   F body procharged intercooler set-up-p1010208.jpg  

Last edited by Aster; 05-31-2010 at 01:44 AM.
Old 05-31-2010, 04:37 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

A lot of people upgrade from either the smaller 3.5" thick ProCharger twin intercooler assembly or from the larger 4.5" thick twin intercooler assembly, to a front mount intercooler. You might want to place a wanted ad in the wanted section here on tech. These complete used assemblies go for $250 to $500. Bob

PM's disabled, please e-mail me
E-mail: brutespeed@gmail.comob@brutespeed.com

https://brutespeed.com/ Link to website

Quick Reply: F body procharged intercooler set-up