Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

85 professional products intake and throttlebody

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2010, 05:40 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 85 professional products intake and throttlebody

Is it good for boost set up? I am thinking of porting it to a 92mm or going to the 96 mm. I have ported 317's on a 408.
Old 05-31-2010, 05:51 PM
On The Tree

p.p. intake:all metal=heat soak & h.p.loss

stick w/ an ls6 intake or fast intake. you have to make some serious boost to split them!
Old 05-31-2010, 08:05 PM
Launching!

I personally do not buy the heat soak thing. If you look at nearly every import turbo car they have either a metal or aluminum intake plenum. Now i will say that the PP intake is as heavy as a concrete block sitting on top of your engine. Not to mention i have read quite a bit about guys having fitment issues with them. Just my 2 cents.
Old 05-31-2010, 08:09 PM
Staging Lane

yes maybe every intake in the past was made of some kind of metal but there has to be some loss when the IAT is raised from the heat soak of a metal intake especially on boosted applications where that matters.
Old 05-31-2010, 10:29 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 98legendws6
I personally do not buy the heat soak thing. If you look at nearly every import turbo car they have either a metal or aluminum intake plenum. Now i will say that the PP intake is as heavy as a concrete block sitting on top of your engine. Not to mention i have read quite a bit about guys having fitment issues with them. Just my 2 cents.
colder air means more h.p. right?

when pullin plugs to check them after a nitrous pass you can lay your forearm on a stock ls or fast intake while wrenchin out plugs.
try that with the p.p./bbk metal intakes...

your will literally burn your f'n arm!!! which means that the air entering the intake is instantly getting heated up which will cause loss in h.p.

just for example:

I had the p.p. 96mm intake on my s/c'd 99 and when I redyno'd it with a ls2 intake car made 17 h.p. more!!!

besides..... I rather split/pop a composit intake on a nitrous backfire or over boost condition then pop h/g's or lift a head !!!

thats my $.02
Old 06-01-2010, 02:39 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Air dosent sit in the intke long enough to soak in the heat. Heat soak only occurs at a stand still.
Old 06-01-2010, 03:10 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by OUTLAWZ RACING
The Air dosent sit in the intke long enough to soak in the heat. Heat soak only occurs at a stand still.
so in otherwords, there isnt enough surface area to heat that volume of air as it passes through? similiar how a small intercooler wouldnt have enough surface area to cool a large volume of air on a high HP motor, just not enough time for an exchange?
Old 06-01-2010, 12:02 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Exactly what im saying. turn the car off and yes everything will heat up an get hot. But as soon as u start the car the intake temps will drop because the intake temps would drop. by some.
Old 06-01-2010, 07:17 PM
Launching!

I know this is one of those subjects that will constantly have people that swear one way or the other. All i can go off of is my past experience with a multitude of turbo cars. Outlawz i think you have it exactly right. As far as dyno results being different....there are so many factors involved that the test is meaningless. With just the temperature, humidity, quality of fuel, intake design, dyno calibration.......Lets not forget a dyno is a tool....not a race day calibrator.