Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Car stalls with A/C on

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2010, 01:23 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car stalls with A/C on

My car stalls with the A/C on. I have had the car tuned and it is perfect. I was told for forced air cars you need to drill a hole in the throttle body plate. I was told to start with a 1/8 inch hole and work up to a 1/4 inch hole if needed. Has anyone done this? Does it matter where the hole is drilled? Do I need to pull off the throttle body? Any help would be appreciated...
Mods are: 2002 Trans Am WS6, mild cam,ported stock heads,ported throttle body,MAF screen delete,Prochager D1SC ,twin intercooled, 4.25 pulley with 7.5lbs boost,60lb injectors with racetronics pump, headers,y-pipe,high flow cat, magnaflow muffler.
It is right at 500.07 RWHP. Thanks, Dave....
Old 06-01-2010, 01:36 PM
TECH Regular

this might be a dumb question, but when youre sitting still idling with the a/c off, and you turn it on, does the computer still raise the idle automatically like it supposed to? is the a/c just bogging down the motor when you flip it on? takes a lot of juice to run it...
Old 06-01-2010, 01:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

im thinkin the same as Dimetweaker, ive heard of that function accidentally being turned off when the car gets tuned. Never heard of somebody actually having to drill the TB blade. The car has problems idleing ONLY when the AC comes on? what about if you turn it on while driving then come to a complete stop?
Old 06-01-2010, 01:53 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Do NOT drill a hole in the TB. This is a tuning issue. There are tables that allow adjustment to everything from the hit on clutch engagement to full time load presented by the compressor and more.

With that said, there are also separate idle airflow areas for A/C on/off. Before you say for sure it's your tune, do what you can to get them to learn their values. Get eh car up over 150deg ECT (or just drive for 10 minutes or so to make sure it's a full temp). Get somewhere out of traffic. With the car in gear and still, turn on the A/C. If it dies, restart the car (with A/C off) and give it about 60 seconds and repeat the above. If there is enough room, it should learn airflow and become more solid. Once it idles like this, put it back in park and do the same thing. Those values should be remembered until power is removed form the ECM.

If it still dips or stalls after that process, call your tuner back. Definitely do not drill the TB.
Old 06-01-2010, 02:37 PM
Teching In

The car runs perfectly fine while the a/c is off or when driving. The problem is when the clutch is in at a stop light and the a/c is on the car dies instantly. The car also dies with the clutch in and backing up. I went on the L.A Invasion cruise to Big Bear and after we past 3000 ft elevation the car ran great, as soon as we came down below 3000 ft it started to die again. I called the tuner and he was the one who recommended the hole being drilled in the throttle body. Any help would be appreciated, Dave
Old 06-01-2010, 03:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

def sounds like a tuning issue now, talk to Frost ^^^ he knows whats what.
Old 06-01-2010, 03:37 PM
12 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by XTNCTTA
The car runs perfectly fine while the a/c is off or when driving. The problem is when the clutch is in at a stop light and the a/c is on the car dies instantly. The car also dies with the clutch in and backing up. I went on the L.A Invasion cruise to Big Bear and after we past 3000 ft elevation the car ran great, as soon as we came down below 3000 ft it started to die again. I called the tuner and he was the one who recommended the hole being drilled in the throttle body. Any help would be appreciated, Dave
Listen to Frost and try what he suggested. It sure sounds like the A/C was not touched in the tune.

Last edited by MUSTANGBRKR02; 06-01-2010 at 06:09 PM.
Old 06-01-2010, 03:44 PM
TECH Addict

Wow...find a new tuner.
Old 06-02-2010, 05:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by xtremedime
wow...find a new tuner.
i 2nd this!:d
Old 06-02-2010, 08:59 PM
TECH Resident

My car stalls with the A/C on. I have had the car tuned and it is perfect. I was told for forced air cars you need to drill a hole in the throttle body plate. I was told to start with a 1/8 inch hole and work up to a 1/4 inch hole if needed. Has anyone done this? Does it matter where the hole is drilled? Do I need to pull off the throttle body? Any help would be appreciated...
Mods are: 2002 Trans Am WS6, mild cam,ported stock heads,ported throttle body,MAF screen delete,Prochager D1SC ,twin intercooled, 4.25 pulley with 7.5lbs boost,60lb injectors with racetronics pump, headers,y-pipe,high flow cat, magnaflow muffler.
It is right at 500.07 RWHP. Thanks, Dave....
for forced air cars you need to drill the TB... who in the sam hell told you that?

get it tuned right. there are airflow tables, ac tables , etc. get the tuner to fix it. I have had to adjust several airflow tables on my car & ac tables
Old 06-02-2010, 10:41 PM
Teching In

Thanks for all your help. I will find a new tuner!

Quick Reply: Car stalls with A/C on