Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Need help with SCDE tensioner install

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2010, 04:44 PM
-Q-
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Need help with SCDE tensioner install

I'm trying my damndest to get this SCDE tensioner installed, but I'm having trouble figuring out the instructions. I ordered the "install tool" along with my bracket, and I've got the bracket mounted with the shims and the belt roughly routed, and I'm to the point where I'm supposed to use the install to "set some preload against the stop. Preload should be between 5-10."

I must be an idiot, because I cannot for the life of me figure out what "set some preload" means or how to do it. I see the marks on the top of the tensioner that say "10....20...." etc, but there is no "5". I also have no idea exactly what I should be doing to set the preload. I've put the tool on there several different ways, and I can see where it moves the tensioner in the housing, but that's about all I can figure out. I don't even know if I've got the tool on there correctly...

Little help here please, guys. I'm sure this is obvious and I'm going to feel really dumb when I figure it out, but I'm stumped.
Old 06-19-2010, 05:53 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I read the instructions and they are pretty shitty, then again I dont have a procharger near me to look at.
Old 06-19-2010, 06:00 PM
-Q-
TECH Fanatic

The instructions are just kind of vague on how to set the preload. Apparently most competent people figure this out with no problems, but I'm lost.

My car has been down two freaking weeks waiting to get this bracket back, and now I can't get the f'n thing on there.
Old 06-19-2010, 06:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Post 5 and 6, I didn't feel like retyping it. https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-in...ification.html
Old 06-19-2010, 06:09 PM
-Q-
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by conan
Post 5 and 6, I didn't feel like retyping it. https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-in...ification.html
OK let me see if I can work this out. I thought it might need to go in front of that little spring piece, but I couldn't get the tool to slip in front of it the first time. Let me try it again.

Thanks bro.
Old 06-19-2010, 07:11 PM
TT-TECH Veteran

If you want some one to walk you through it step by step LMK. I don't think it is a comonsense thing. There instructions suck if you don't know what to look for etc... (713)302-0737
Jeff
Old 06-19-2010, 10:00 PM
-Q-
TECH Fanatic

Alright I finally got it. Still fine tuning...my first attempt yielded my tension just under the 15 mark on the tensioner, and I still had some of the dreaded rattle. So I just went back again and set the preload higher, and hoping to get closer to 18ish on the tension.

The instructions for this kit and the tool itself are damn near completely worthless. I cannot believe that tool costs $40. You pretty much have to have it to do the job, but at the same time, it sucks *** and won't hardly stay in place.
Old 06-19-2010, 11:25 PM
-Q-
TECH Fanatic

Well, back to the drawing board. Just shredded a rib off the belt.
Old 06-20-2010, 07:48 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by -Q-
Well, back to the drawing board. Just shredded a rib off the belt.
You didn't set the sliding tensioner pully to low and pinch the belt in the stand off nut did you. I did that my first time and shreaded a brand new belt
Old 06-20-2010, 12:23 PM
-Q-
TECH Fanatic

Probably. I had just readjusted that pulley before it happened, so that was probably it. How high is OK for that sliding pulley to be? Or does it really matter?
Old 06-20-2010, 01:34 PM
TT-TECH Veteran

Well regardless of your install you have to make sure of the belt alighnment as well.
Old 06-20-2010, 03:54 PM
-Q-
TECH Fanatic

I measured and thought I had everything aligned dead on. I will double check again. Everything was fine the first time I went through, but the tension was too low. The second time I went through it, I moved that idler pulley down, and I think I may have it too low...