Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Vortech v9 gtrim

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2010, 02:48 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by touge battle
Sweet guys thanks for all the info!

Yeah I know my cam isn't ideal, but it will work like Inspector12 said.

I guess I'll put this whole set up together and see where it takes me, if Im not happy with the performance I will change out the cam in the future. But like I said I would be content with 550wheel and I dont want more than 600 due to reliability. Im thinking with my baseline at 400 it should be able to reach my goals well hopefully lol
yeah i think you could meet your goals super easy. i wouldnt be surprised if you were closer to 600whp then you want.
especially with a more "boost friendly cam"
keep us updated on your situation!
Old 06-24-2010, 04:23 PM
TT-TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LSpeed1
what did you rev to?
and did you have a stock bottom end with 600whp?
I made 575 on the stocker when I blew that up, I put rods and pistons in that and made 601rwhp. I spun mine to 6800 on the dyno, but usually shifted it at 6500. Any thing over 6500-6800 usually max on stock stuff. Mine peaked at @6400 so I tried to keep it in that area as much as possible lol!They will live in the 500-550 range if a safe tune and, no more that say 2-3runs back to back before you drive normal or stop and let it cool down etc... Reapeated runs I have seem people do will kill a motor quick especially when not forged with safe tune or not. IAT's climb and then a little detonation and bam you have a ringland or piston issue. If it makes more power than you want pull a little timming GL! You will be supprised how well it will run.
Jeff
Old 06-24-2010, 04:50 PM
Teching In

thank you. ill keep you posted.
but going frontmount, wouldnt you have to relocate your battery?
what kind of intercooler do you have?
and where di you get it from? have any pics of your setup yet?
you could deff. fab up ic piping from that site for sure too.

and to the op, from my understanding, that cam is not idea for a boosted car at all.
with boosted cars,the more lsa you have, the more boost friendly, in a way.
your cam is a strictly n/a type cam.
I actually didn't have to relocate mine, I ran an odessey PC925 and stuffed it right between the IC piping and radiator (just enough room) then I made a bracket to mount it right to the frame (easy 30 min job with the battery) You can pick up an odessey on ebay brand new, thats where i got mine.

I have an ebay intercooler 31x12x4, the brand name is Godspeed, they are dirt cheap like $160 bucks. Works great at my boost level (9.2lbs)

I need to get pics up, my piece of **** digital camera broke, maybe i'll try and snap a few shots with my phone later this evening to give you guys an idea. A picture is worth a thousand words. It'll be much easier to show you
Old 06-24-2010, 04:59 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Inspector12
I made 575 on the stocker when I blew that up, I put rods and pistons in that and made 601rwhp. I spun mine to 6800 on the dyno, but usually shifted it at 6500. Any thing over 6500-6800 usually max on stock stuff. Mine peaked at @6400 so I tried to keep it in that area as much as possible lol!They will live in the 500-550 range if a safe tune and, no more that say 2-3runs back to back before you drive normal or stop and let it cool down etc... Reapeated runs I have seem people do will kill a motor quick especially when not forged with safe tune or not. IAT's climb and then a little detonation and bam you have a ringland or piston issue. If it makes more power than you want pull a little timming GL! You will be supprised how well it will run.
Jeff
Inspector12, I have heard about your old set-up with the g-trim, very impressive. I also spin mine to 65k max, and mine peaks as well at 64K, this is all with the 2.95" pulley and my front mount. Made 484rwhp, all stock beside long tubes true duals ported tb and maf at 9.2lbs. When my stock bottom end has had enough I want to build a nice forged one, throw in a decent FI cam and heads and pulley it down to either a 2.65" or 2.5", I'm just worried about belt slip wiith the 2.5." As far as the rest of my components go, I should be fine if I were to build my motor, I already have 60lb motrons, a waboro pump and kenne belle BAP, and a decent HKS bypass valve vented to the atomosphere. I would probably go speed density after this build as well. Hopefully I have some time before my stock bottom end takes a **** on me.
Old 06-24-2010, 09:27 PM
TT-TECH Veteran

I ran a 2.65" pulley and then the 2.5" I prefered the 2.65". I was talking about 6500RPM on the motor just to be clear that we are on the same page etc... I only made 8-9lbs with that set up.
Old 06-24-2010, 11:41 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Inspector12
I ran a 2.65" pulley and then the 2.5" I prefered the 2.65". I was talking about 6500RPM on the motor just to be clear that we are on the same page etc... I only made 8-9lbs with that set up.
Yea I'm also reffering to the 6500RPMS on the motor. 64K RPMS is where mine peaks as well.

So with the 2.65" pulley, a forged bottom end and heads and FI friendly" cam you made around 600rwhp at about 8-9lbs of boost right? Just out of curiosity what kind of pistons/rods/heads/cam did you use when you built your motor? Also it makes me wonder if it be more beneficial to just upgrade to the t-trim when I build a forged bottom end, to run more boost=make even more power, all of this will come with a cost of course. Do you think i'd see a huge difference with the t-trim vs the g, I know transamatt said he wished he upgraded to a YSi instead of the t-trim (he made around 650rwhp). Either way, I think I have some time before I'll be needing to build a forged bottom end. Had the car out tonight and was really getting on it, seems to be holding up real well. I can lay some nice rubber 1st-3rd gear even with my heavy TT2S and sticky goodyear 315 F1s. I think with my FMIC I see much cooler charge temps vs. what I'd see with the aftercooler set-up, I'd venture to think its more effiecent on a street application like mine and some other members on the form. I'll have some pictures up tomorrow of my set-up
Old 06-25-2010, 02:47 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by transam151
Yea I'm also reffering to the 6500RPMS on the motor. 64K RPMS is where mine peaks as well.

So with the 2.65" pulley, a forged bottom end and heads and FI friendly" cam you made around 600rwhp at about 8-9lbs of boost right? Just out of curiosity what kind of pistons/rods/heads/cam did you use when you built your motor? Also it makes me wonder if it be more beneficial to just upgrade to the t-trim when I build a forged bottom end, to run more boost=make even more power, all of this will come with a cost of course. Do you think i'd see a huge difference with the t-trim vs the g, I know transamatt said he wished he upgraded to a YSi instead of the t-trim (he made around 650rwhp). Either way, I think I have some time before I'll be needing to build a forged bottom end. Had the car out tonight and was really getting on it, seems to be holding up real well. I can lay some nice rubber 1st-3rd gear even with my heavy TT2S and sticky goodyear 315 F1s. I think with my FMIC I see much cooler charge temps vs. what I'd see with the aftercooler set-up, I'd venture to think its more effiecent on a street application like mine and some other members on the form. I'll have some pictures up tomorrow of my set-up
ive read/heard about people gaining over 100whp just from ditching the g trim and going with a t trim. and im dying to see pictures of your intercooler setup!
ive really been looking into fmic setups alll day.
could you please get a couple good pictures of the pipe routing by the battery as well?
Old 06-25-2010, 08:30 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by phatasp
I might have missed it but what size pulley are you running?
Excellent question. It was described to me as "the 13 pound pulley". Not sure what diameter it is. It's now been at the shop longer then I've owned it (3 weeks in the shop). They fixed two minor exhaust leaks, shaved the bump stops because the corvette rims were rubbing, moved the drive shaft loop off the torque arm, replaced the pcv valve, egr gasket, replaced a T connector on the vacuum for the gauge and BPV with a compression fitting, etc. Hopefully it will make boost and I'll have more time to play with it in my garage!
Old 06-25-2010, 08:44 AM
TT-TECH Veteran

The T-trim is an awesome head unit and is an nice step up from the G-trim, but larger and hard to fit on camaros although the T/A's have better clearance. If you are a die hare Vortech fan they the T-trim or YSI is a better choice, but I was happy with the G-trim and a 100 shot made 740rwhp with that it was very potent combination. I believe if you are going to try and make more than the 600rwhp with the Vortech kit I would just buy a Pro Charger as fitment issues will be better IMO. Oh and I was running TEA stage 3 317's and a custom comp cam 224/230.
Old 06-25-2010, 04:53 PM
Teching In

Default Pictures of my set-up

Thanks Inspector12 for all the info, i'll keep in in mind for the future when I build my bottom end.

Guys here is a link to all the pictures I took of my FMIC set-up, let me know what you think. Hopefully it will help anyone trying to put something together similar. It is also way cheaper than buying the aftercooler kit from vortech, just some food for thought

https://ls1tech.com/forums/album.php?albumid=15863
Old 06-25-2010, 06:23 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks for the pics transam151. Basically same thing as what mine is doing with 2.5". All my leaks are plugged and it was very lean so it will be tuned on Tuesday and we'll see what she's pulling! I'm very encouraged by the lean condition brought about by identifying and fixing those leaks (EGR gasket and PCV valve).
Old 06-25-2010, 07:39 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by rjparth
Excellent question. It was described to me as "the 13 pound pulley". Not sure what diameter it is. It's now been at the shop longer then I've owned it (3 weeks in the shop). They fixed two minor exhaust leaks, shaved the bump stops because the corvette rims were rubbing, moved the drive shaft loop off the torque arm, replaced the pcv valve, egr gasket, replaced a T connector on the vacuum for the gauge and BPV with a compression fitting, etc. Hopefully it will make boost and I'll have more time to play with it in my garage!
My v9 with a 3.33 pulley put out about 3lbs then i went to a 2.75 and i got 7 out of it .I just recently put a 2.50 on it and it looks like I,m getting about 8.5 to 9 lbs. I think I should mention my car shifts at 6100rpm so the boost might be higher if I raised the rpms to 6400.

Thats a nice clean set-up transam151.
Old 06-25-2010, 08:00 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks Inspector12 for all the info, i'll keep in in mind for the future when I build my bottom end.

Guys here is a link to all the pictures I took of my FMIC set-up, let me know what you think. Hopefully it will help anyone trying to put something together similar. It is also way cheaper than buying the aftercooler kit from vortech, just some food for thought

https://ls1tech.com/forums/album.php?albumid=15863
perfect. that you tons. im really considering going fmic, and those pictures are that much more persuasive.
one question though, you were saying to had a different battery, so im assuming your new battery is under all that piping?
becuase i was looking at my setup yesterday and i dont really understand how you managed to get those pipes down there.
isnot there also an extra coolent resivour there or somthing?

Originally Posted by rjparth
Thanks for the pics transam151. Basically same thing as what mine is doing with 2.5". All my leaks are plugged and it was very lean so it will be tuned on Tuesday and we'll see what she's pulling! I'm very encouraged by the lean condition brought about by identifying and fixing those leaks (EGR gasket and PCV valve).
keep us posted on the new numbers and how much boost shes putting out now! are you going to upgrade to 3" piping?
Old 07-01-2010, 05:08 PM
Teching In

perfect. that you tons. im really considering going fmic, and those pictures are that much more persuasive.
one question though, you were saying to had a different battery, so im assuming your new battery is under all that piping?
becuase i was looking at my setup yesterday and i dont really understand how you managed to get those pipes down there.
isnot there also an extra coolent resivour there or somthing?

keep us posted on the new numbers and how much boost shes putting out now! are you going to upgrade to 3" piping?
LS1Speed, yes my battery is located right beside the pipe and tucked next to the radiator, I made a little custom bracket to hold it down and then trimmed my old battery cover down and pretty much covered it up. You'd never know its there. You could probably relocate yours to the trunk and it may be more convienient and add more room under the hood. The coolant overflow res. is also tucked down below the piping if you looks real close you can see it. Its an aftermarket one from summit (cylinder shaped) fits down there no problem.

Rjparth, any new numbers yet since you fixed your set-up?

Quick Reply: Vortech v9 gtrim