Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Why no Kenne Bells?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2010, 09:32 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ysb02
The vette kits aren't made by KB btw.

What IATs do the Ford guys see? I see them posting about 700/800+ rwhp from the big KB blowers on GT500s/Cobras.

Yeah I forgot about that. That will factor in quite a bit depending on what AWIC they used under the blower. Everything else can be modified to provide lower IAT's.

I will have to take a look at some of my datalogs and see what IAT's I was hitting after going WOT and also cruising.
Old 06-30-2010, 08:19 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rocket5979
Yeah I forgot about that. That will factor in quite a bit depending on what AWIC they used under the blower. Everything else can be modified to provide lower IAT's.

I will have to take a look at some of my datalogs and see what IAT's I was hitting after going WOT and also cruising.
Dont call jeff all he does is zero all of the table out in the IAT and hopes or wish for the best.
Old 06-30-2010, 08:48 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've been working with a couple guys on their KB C5s for a while now. We've done a bunch of work on one of them to decrease IATs. There's a thread over on CF about it. We installed a larger HE, moved it to behind the tiger shark front end, made a real CAI so it's getting cool air from the condenser/rad scoop, cut the back of the hood to release under hood heat, installed a bigger IC pump, played with the mix of coolant in the IC system. Result was near ambient IATs cruising, and they barely climbed in 95* heat in traffic. Now granted, they still climbed under WOT, but they didn't get NEAR as high as before all these mods. Also,we're spraying meth upstream of the blower. I think that helps some WOT.

FWIW, the entire kit DOES need re-engineering. The blower needs to be turned around, and use a jack shaft setup, so you can mount the TB in the front. The IC/intake mani needs redesigned BAD! For the right money it could be made to make crazy power, but it would take an open wallet to do it.
Old 06-30-2010, 09:12 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by robert miller
Dont call jeff all he does is zero all of the table out in the IAT and hopes or wish for the best.
Crazy... with a heat pump like that, the majority of your spark tuning HAS to take place in that table. If anyone suggests zero-ing the IAT spark table, I would immediately stop listening to what that they have to say.
Old 06-30-2010, 11:25 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Frost
Crazy... with a heat pump like that, the majority of your spark tuning HAS to take place in that table. If anyone suggests zero-ing the IAT spark table, I would immediately stop listening to what that they have to say.
I agree with you but I still have the tune by email from him, That he had on his old car. Which was almost the same as my build but I just had a little more cam than what he had in his. IAT SPARK TABLE all zero out. That is why I pulled the kenne bell from my car. Way to much problems with a head cam set up to get the unit to do the rwhp that JEFF says the unit will do. Just a bad intake for the corvettes. We will see what this new intake and set up will do on the corvette.
Old 06-30-2010, 01:35 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Funny, just found this at the top of the page, and thought of this thread right away...

https://ls1tech.com/forums/picture.p...&pictureid=735
Old 06-30-2010, 02:01 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Mike@Diablosport
Funny, just found this at the top of the page, and thought of this thread right away...

https://ls1tech.com/forums/picture.p...&pictureid=735
looks like the 2.8h I hope the guy dont have a mod motor. Are takes it to the track. To me dont really know why any one in their right mind would want a kenne bell other than in a stock motor set up. This is only a low end tq set up on any car. So when you get into the and over 500 plus rwhp even with tq at the low RPM here goes the tires up in smoke all day long. I guess some like that but I am looking to get to the end of the track 1st. The kenne bell looks good on top of the motor. BLING for sure....
Old 06-30-2010, 02:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So you guys who have had them a didn't make big top end horse power, what kind of torque numbers were you making? I'm looking to run mine about 1500-6000 at about 16-18 psi on the forged LS1 in my truck? I plan to run meth with a 5 gph nozzle spraying from the back of the intake tube strait into the rotors and a second M14 nozzle spraying in the spacer plate right under the blower discharge where the compressed air comes out right before it goes though the intercooler. Should be the hottest air there and I think it will do the most good.

Last edited by kbracing96; 06-30-2010 at 03:15 PM.
Old 06-30-2010, 03:03 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by kbracing96
So you guys who have had them a didn't make big top end horse power, what kind of torque numbers were you making? I'm looking to run mine about 1500-6000 at about 16-18 psi on the forged LS1 in my truck? I plan to run meth with a 5 gph nozzle spraying from the back of the intake tube strait into the rotors and a second M14 nozzle spraying in the spacer plate right under the blower discharge where the compressed air comes out right before it goes though the intercooler. Should be the hottest air there and I think it will go the most good.
You would to do that to get it to work on the kenne bell better. All of your tq will be gone 2700 on the kenne bell then its just going to be motor. This thing on the vette came in around 1800 and then nothing more out of it on the top end at all. Where the turbo,s and the cenfi comes in on up in the rpm range or get a controller for the turbos to come in whenever. I know the YSI unit will not stop pulling on the top end. This thing is pulling like hell at the end of the 1/4 mile.
Old 06-30-2010, 03:20 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Big heavy cars need that low end torque, like this 648 rwhp 2.8 KB'd Charger...

http://www.challengertalk.com/forums...648rwhp-40317/
Old 06-30-2010, 04:19 PM
Launching!

Nice looking car, but I would like to see it with the 80 inj in it and me in the other lane. I can say HEMI But still a nice looking car.
Old 06-30-2010, 04:31 PM
Launching!

Do these cars make that power pull after pull or only on a cold run?
Old 06-30-2010, 04:38 PM
Formerly 4mulaJoe

Originally Posted by z28MP
Hello I'm hoping to have my build done this Saturday, its a forged bottom end ls1 with a kenne bell blower up top. I've been looking around (maybe not in the right places) but, I have noticed no one is running these on their vettes. Just wondering why? Any issues etc etc I should be worrying about or what the deal is. Just wondering what is going on with these set ups and if I should've spent my money on some other set up.
Thanks
I think it has been covered, but I will summarize.

They suck. The end.
Old 06-30-2010, 05:03 PM
Teching In

Also it's Kenne Bell designing + making these kits for the fbodies / 'stangs so they have some manpower. With the current KB vendor if something would ever happen to the person/shop you would not be able to get replacement parts and be SOL.

I wouldn't call the T/S a better design over the roots, it's just different and has its own pros/cons. For all the talk about efficiency on the T/S they seem to produce a lot of heat.
Most of the time its on race gas, an on edge tune and some giggle gas. The vast majority only make between 550-650 on pump with half assed reliability. They also heat soak very quickly and top end sucks.... been there

The twin screw is great for mid range, fast response and extremely forgiving powerband. However, the turbo and the centri will dog it on the big end. They are very popular for cobras and such because they are basically bolt on replacements. They have their place, but they are not the best all out performers you could get.
Old 06-30-2010, 05:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 187 Likes on 112 Posts

The blue oval boys seem to love the t'screws. The mfg's must have put a whole lot more effort into the ford platforms. Seems like every t'screw build I've ever seen on an LS motor has been a cobbled together mess. I've heard for years how "effecient" they are, but haven't seen any evidence of said effeciency. They make similar or less power than the maggies at boost levels under 10psi. Looks to me like you run out of intercooler capacity at anything over those levels with either system. Yes, they are capable of more boost, but what can you do with 200 degrees of hot air?

My TVS 2300 is pretty boring. It just runs hard with no drama. I know it's limited to around 750 rwhp before belt slip and high IAT's put a damper on things. Happy with what I have though. 670+rwhp in a 3200# vette is a whole bunch of entertainment.
Old 06-30-2010, 09:42 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by LS1x2
I think it has been covered, but I will summarize.

They suck. The end.

Originally Posted by Fobra
Most of the time its on race gas, an on edge tune and some giggle gas. The vast majority only make between 550-650 on pump with half assed reliability. They also heat soak very quickly and top end sucks.... been there

The twin screw is great for mid range, fast response and extremely forgiving powerband. However, the turbo and the centri will dog it on the big end. They are very popular for cobras and such because they are basically bolt on replacements. They have their place, but they are not the best all out performers you could get.
They are just junk on the corvettes. And you said good for a stock replacement for the fords. The real thing here with me is jeff at TPE is just one of the biggest liar,s on the forum. And just because he pays a vendor fee. He will get anyone banned off the forum.
Old 06-30-2010, 10:39 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by old motorhead
My TVS 2300 is pretty boring. It just runs hard with no drama. I know it's limited to around 750 rwhp before belt slip and high IAT's put a damper on things. Happy with what I have though. 670+rwhp in a 3200# vette is a whole bunch of entertainment.
Do you remember what IATs you see when romping on your car?
Old 06-30-2010, 11:15 PM
Staging Lane

Do you remember what IATs you see when romping on your car?
Not meaning to butt in -maybe useful info
Data from my 2300 08Z06
fourth run of the day
10.56/137.82@3447 da. Driving up in the staging lanes and started run 12*C hotter than normally see.
Start of burnout 55C [131F]
Max 67C [153F]
91 fuel-no meth-10.5:1
An absolute ball to drive on the street and iats stay around 15-17F above ambient at the speed limit. Heavy traffic iats are about 3x*F above ambient.
'Supersub' has info on better cooling.
Old 06-30-2010, 11:30 PM
Staging Lane

FWIW, the entire kit DOES need re-engineering. The blower needs to be turned around, and use a jack shaft setup, so you can mount the TB in the front. The IC/intake mani needs redesigned BAD! For the right money it could be made to make crazy power, but it would take an open wallet to do it.[/QUOTE]

Gearset needed to operate in the right rotation then
Old 07-01-2010, 12:41 AM
TECH Regular

$$$ and people scared of the simple words.. "not a direct bolt on"

eewwwww i have to take an angle grinder to my hood and buzz off 1/16th of an inch???? uuuuhhhggggg resale isnt gonna be that good because i altered the integral structure of the hood... eeewwwww....

-TNT spec (me) = if you're buying something as gnarlly as the KB blower,,, you WANT to make real power and will take whatever steps required to make it happen. Whereas the certain folk cant grasp that concept...

****, i cut and boxed my frame rails to make my 88mm fit in my ls1/rx7. Some people (alot) get all pissy over poeople installing a v8 in these cars let alone "butchering" the frame. lol --PS no rotary is gonna beat me on pump fuel, just saying...

-end rant/truth.

Quick Reply: Why no Kenne Bells?