Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

'98 WS6 Trans Am, 8 yr old ProCharger - Not Building Boost?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2010, 04:03 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by T.Shaw
I have been looking online for quite a while now. Procharger dosnt have them for sale on there website. I wish I could find a few, so I would have some price options. Could I just bypass that intercooler by just removing it and puting a straight pipe in its place? or would that screw **** up? It would still have the passanger side intercooler...
ProCharger doesn't list everything they have for sale on their site. You'd have to actually call them or a ProCharger dealer to order one or get an exact price.
Old 08-23-2010, 08:14 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Can I romove the cracked intercooler and put a straight pipe in?
Old 08-23-2010, 08:34 PM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Can I romove the cracked intercooler and put a straight pipe in?
I wouldn't do that unless it was temporary but yes you can.
Old 08-23-2010, 10:20 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 9t8z28
I wouldn't do that unless it was temporary but yes you can.
I wont have the $600 for a new one for quite a while. So would it be better to leave it with the crack or put in the straight pipe you think?
Old 08-23-2010, 10:23 PM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I wont have the $600 for a new one for quite a while. So would it be better to leave it with the crack or put in the straight pipe you think?
Where did it crack?

IMO, it would be a PITA to fab up a straight pipe. In the amount of time and money you spend fabbing up a straight pipe, you could have paid someone to weld the intercooler.
Old 08-23-2010, 11:43 PM
Teching In

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by 9t8z28
Where did it crack?

IMO, it would be a PITA to fab up a straight pipe. In the amount of time and money you spend fabbing up a straight pipe, you could have paid someone to weld the intercooler.
ok sounds good. I'll get it welded.
Old 08-24-2010, 09:17 AM
SKI
11 Second Club

Talking

After the weld get it tuned..................
Old 08-24-2010, 03:18 PM
Teching In

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by SKI
After the weld get it tuned..................
LOL I know. I'm working on it!
Old 08-24-2010, 03:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Like others have stated...stay out of boost until you get the tune.
Old 05-12-2012, 09:01 PM
Teching In

Angry Pulling her out og the garage...

Hey guys I started this thread a while back but ended up parking the car for almost half a year. I have pulled her out for the summer and want to try to get this ProCharger thing figured out. The last thing talked about was getting it tuned. I have the cash to do this now but I just really dont think that is the main issue..

I am only getting 1 psi boost on the guage and she is definatly not pulling like she used to... Something else is wrong beside just a tune. I want to see a little more boost before I go to the tuners. I did a boost check with a device I made and there are no leaks... The ProFlo Surge Valve seems to be working fine also. The diaphram in it is brand new.. At idle the Valve opens, when I turn the car off it closes, not sure under load though... The valve is hooked up to my HVAC Vacuum line then to the FMU then straight to the valve just as the ProCharger manual states... I got the boost gauge "T"ed up to the Brake Booster line... I have removed the superchargers discharge tube and started the engine and its blowing air.. I removed the supercharger inlet and the blades look fine... Supercharger belt is brand new too and not slipping... Fuel pressure always stays around 75 psi even at WOT.. Oh and just put a new K&N on her, still nothing but 1 psi boost. I have changed the supercharger oil regularly ever 5,000 miles there never has been metal fragments on the drain magnet... Other than that sound wise, pretty smooth and normal. I have had people tell me the supercharger sounds a lil quiet but not sure if this is true. Still sounds loud to me and I have Borla Exhaust.

Im just not wanting to waste money on a tune if the head unit needs rebuilt.

Whats the newest thoughts? haha I am so frustrated on this dang car! Why no boost? Cant be just a tune right???

Last edited by T.Shaw; 05-12-2012 at 09:24 PM.
Old 05-12-2012, 10:38 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Question

Hey guys I started this thread a while back but ended up parking the car for almost half a year. I have pulled her out for the summer and want to try to get this ProCharger thing figured out. The last thing talked about was getting it tuned. I have the cash to do this now but I just really dont think that is the main issue..

I am only getting 1 psi boost on the guage and she is definatly not pulling like she used to... Something else is wrong beside just a tune. I want to see a little more boost before I go to the tuners. I did a boost check with a device I made and there are no leaks... The ProFlo Surge Valve seems to be working fine also. The diaphram in it is brand new.. At idle the Valve opens, when I turn the car off it closes, not sure under load though... The valve is hooked up to my HVAC Vacuum line then to the FMU then straight to the valve just as the ProCharger manual states... I got the boost gauge "T"ed up to the Brake Booster line... I have removed the superchargers discharge tube and started the engine and its blowing air.. I removed the supercharger inlet and the blades look fine... Supercharger belt is brand new too and not slipping... Fuel pressure always stays around 75 psi even at WOT.. Oh and just put a new K&N on her, still nothing but 1 psi boost. I have changed the supercharger oil regularly ever 5,000 miles there never has been metal fragments on the drain magnet... Other than that sound wise, pretty smooth and normal. I have had people tell me the supercharger sounds a lil quiet but not sure if this is true. Still sounds loud to me and I have Borla Exhaust.

Im just not wanting to waste money on a tune if the head unit needs rebuilt.

Whats the newest thoughts? haha I am so frustrated on this dang car! Why no boost? Cant be just a tune right???
No it's not the tune that is the problem. "I did a boost check with a device I made and there are no leaks..." Does this include the intercoolers and the plenum box? What intake manifold do you have? You could have a boost leak in the manifold. Bob

PM's disabled, please e-mail me
E-mail: brutespeed@gmail.comob@brutespeed.com

https://brutespeed.com/ Link to website

Old 05-13-2012, 01:30 AM
Teching In

Question

Originally Posted by Bob@BruteSpeed
No it's not the tune that is the problem. "I did a boost check with a device I made and there are no leaks..." Does this include the intercoolers and the plenum box? What intake manifold do you have? You could have a boost leak in the manifold. Bob
Hey Bob thanks for the reply. Yes this included both intercoolers and the plenum box. I actually removed my air filter and just attached my "device" right there so the air was pushed through the whole system. The intake manifold is stock.

What do you think?
Old 05-13-2012, 07:04 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Hey Bob thanks for the reply. Yes this included both intercoolers and the plenum box. I actually removed my air filter and just attached my "device" right there so the air was pushed through the whole system. The intake manifold is stock.

What do you think?
I'd bypass the bypass valve and make several runs to rule it out. I recently told a customer to do that and it ended up being the problem. You can put a piece of tubing in there in it's place. Bob

Old 05-13-2012, 01:22 PM
Teching In

Question

Originally Posted by Bob@BruteSpeed
I'd bypass the bypass valve and make several runs to rule it out. I recently told a customer to do that and it ended up being the problem. You can put a piece of tubing in there in it's place. Bob
Should I cap it off or put a tube in its place? I am a little confused.. If I just put in a straight tube in place of the surge valve wont it just recycle the boost through the system by passing through the supercharger then throught the tubes and back out throught where the surge valve was intially being reshot through the charger a second time? I thought the Valve had to "close" to build boost... Open to release it..

Last edited by T.Shaw; 05-13-2012 at 03:21 PM.
Old 06-05-2012, 02:37 PM
Teching In

Angry

Either way, I got the new diaphram in and on the ProFlo Surge Valve.
Still only 1 pound of boost at WOT....

Everything has been "boost tested" by me and is air tight. I put air in the tubes and through the intercoolers using an air compressor. No leaks, I cant find anything..

Is it time to remove the head unit and open it up?
I hate to do that but I have tried everything! Its "whines very pretty" sounds smooth as can be! I just dont get it. Very frustrating!
Old 06-06-2012, 07:52 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Should I cap it off or put a tube in its place? I am a little confused.. If I just put in a straight tube in place of the surge valve wont it just recycle the boost through the system by passing through the supercharger then throught the tubes and back out throught where the surge valve was intially being reshot through the charger a second time? I thought the Valve had to "close" to build boost... Open to release it..

If your system has the above surge tube, you can simply remove the bypass valve and cap off the end of the tube. This will let you know if you can rule out the bypass valve as the problem. I would only do several runs with it capped off, and try to slowly let off the throttle so the system doesn't encounter anymore compressor surge than it has too. If you don't see more than several pounds of boost you won't have to worry about compressor surge. Bob

Quick Reply: '98 WS6 Trans Am, 8 yr old ProCharger - Not Building Boost?