Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

'98 WS6 Trans Am, 8 yr old ProCharger - Not Building Boost?

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2010, 10:10 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question '98 WS6 Trans Am, 8 yr old ProCharger - Not Building Boost?

Hey Everyone, I have a '98 Pontiac Trans Am WS6 with the ProCharger P1SC kit on her. Its a Twin Intercooled system. The car was bought brand new by my father back in early '98. After about 5 yrs or so my father purchased the ProCharger System brand new and had it installed by MC Racing in the Kansas City Area. I think he chose there because ProCharger had a couple Techs near the area. Other mods he had at the time of installation were; Borla Catback Exhauts, Hypertech Power programer III, and Hypertech 180 Degree Thermostat. He decided to purchase a new vehicle in late 2007 and gave me the Trans Am. When i first got the car there was no boost gauge installed so i wasnt aware if it was even building boost then. at about 180,000miles (about 2008) I blew the engine. I had it rebuilt by a local place here in town that dose great work called N2Win Performance. I got the car back and it was running great. I still wasnt aware if it was building boost or not, but both me and my father started thinking it might not be. Then finaly about 5 months ago (March) I purchased a 3 pillar gauge pod with Boost, Fuel Pressure, and Air/Fuel Ratio Gauges. I had it installed by the same company that rebuilt the engine "N2Win Performance". When i came to pick the car up he told me that the SuperCharger wasnt building any boost. He said he maybe got 1psi out of it on the gauge but he was getting pretty heavy on her. I told him thats what i had honestly been wondering for quite sometime. It might have not been working for years i told him.

Since then I have been reading forums and online teching ProChargers website. I have raised the car and disconnected the tubing from the SuperChargers outlet and there was quite a bit of air being blown out. It has the same "whining sound" just as smooth as it has ever sounded. I followed all the hosing and made sure there were no leaks. Replaced a few clamps. I have even checked this "air leaks" thing out about 4 times. Im sure there are no leaks all the way throught the intercoolers and back. I have also read about the Bypass Valve. The one my father originaly recieved from procharger was quite a bit older looking than the one they offer now on there website so i purchased a brand new ProFlow Surge Valve from them yesterday. The one thats on there now was full of tiny rock in the "Suction" part of the BPV. There was also quite a bit of area for leaks in it. I live on dirt road and it was very dirty and looked like crap. I still really have no idea if this will fix anything at all. I really just dont wana have to pay for a new or rebuilt ProCharger at this time. Though i have read its pretty hard for the head unit itself to get messed up inside. Im looking,,, hopeing for an easier fix! I have also thought about tuning? Maybe the tuning is all screwd up? I thought everything had to be tuned pretty well for the SuperCharger to work good. Im sure the guys who rebuilt the engine would do all that.. ?? Who knows whats wrong..

Well sorry for the small novel. Let me know what you guys think. any thoughts on it or anything... I can use all the help i can get. Thanks

Last edited by T.Shaw; 08-18-2010 at 10:21 PM.
Old 08-19-2010, 05:21 AM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've seen quite a few post from Procharger guys where the plenum box splits on a seam. I'd take it off and inspect it from top to bottom.
Old 08-19-2010, 05:42 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

The ProCharger air filter has to be kept clean, if it gets dirty it will restrict boost.
http://shop.brutespeed.com/KN-RE-092...KN-RE-0920.htm
This filter is longer than the one supplied with the ProCharger systems, and I've seen ProChargers build more boost with it.
If your blowers impeller still looks okay, and the blower still sounds good (which you mentioned it does) then I'd look elsewhere for the lack of boost. The ProCharger does require the oil to be changed in the head unit every 6,000 miles. If you need more oil, here is a link to it. http://shop.brutespeed.com/ATI-ProCh...ME001G-006.htm
Take the blowers hose off going to the throttle body, and take off the hose coming off the blower. Cap both ends and add several pounds of pressure by installing a schrader valve in one of the two caps.

You mentioned your father has a Hypertech Power Programmer installed, this cannot be used with the ProCharger! If anything, the engine needs timing pulled from the engine, not more timing added. A ProCharger also requires a richer air/fuel ratio, not leaner which the Hypertech would likely do. You also can't assume the place that built the engine tuned your car for you, unless you talked to them and paid them to do so. I suggest you contact a shop called "The House Of Boost" in Lenexa, KS as they can tune your car for you. It may be a good thing that your car isn't producing boost until you get the tune checked out. Bob

PM's disabled, please e-mail me
E-mail: brutespeed@gmail.comob@brutespeed.com

https://brutespeed.com/ Link to website

Old 08-19-2010, 02:18 PM
Teching In

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Bob@BruteSpeed
The ProCharger air filter has to be kept clean, if it gets dirty it will restrict boost.
http://shop.brutespeed.com/KN-RE-092...KN-RE-0920.htm
This filter is longer than the one supplied with the ProCharger systems, and I've seen ProChargers build more boost with it.
If your blowers impeller still looks okay, and the blower still sounds good (which you mentioned it does) then I'd look elsewhere for the lack of boost. The ProCharger does require the oil to be changed in the head unit every 6,000 miles. If you need more oil, here is a link to it. http://shop.brutespeed.com/ATI-ProCh...ME001G-006.htm
Take the blowers hose off going to the throttle body, and take off the hose coming off the blower. Cap both ends and add several pounds of pressure by installing a schrader valve in one of the two caps.

You mentioned your father has a Hypertech Power Programmer installed, this cannot be used with the ProCharger! If anything, the engine needs timing pulled from the engine, not more timing added. A ProCharger also requires a richer air/fuel ratio, not leaner which the Hypertech would likely do. You also can't assume the place that built the engine tuned your car for you, unless you talked to them and paid them to do so. I suggest you contact a shop called "The House Of Boost" in Lenexa, KS as they can tune your car for you. It may be a good thing that your car isn't producing boost until you get the tune checked out. Bob
Thanks guys! I have a brand new K&N Filter currently on there. I also always change the ProCharger oil on time.

Its kinda crazy im almost positive Hypertech Programmer is currently installed! That sucks. Its starting to sound like the Tuning is all outa wack! I got my bypass valve from ProCharger just about 10 seconds ago. Im gonna go ahead and install that then take the next step you suggested;

*Take the blowers hose off going to the throttle body, and take off the hose coming off the blower. Cap both ends and add several pounds of pressure by installing a schrader valve in one of the two caps.
I will let you all know how it goes asap. Thanks again guys.

Last edited by T.Shaw; 08-19-2010 at 02:26 PM.
Old 08-19-2010, 03:07 PM
Teching In

Exclamation

I installed the new Surge Valve and after seeing how the new one functions. The old one was in destroid condition and was def leaking a bunch of air. It wasnt working at all.

I havnt test drove her yet but one thing that instantly changed was my Vacum. With the the old bypass valve i sat at about -5 pounds (idle) . Now it is sitting at -15 vacum (idle). Is that ok? I also hooked up the Hypertech power programmer and it said the hypertech program was currently installed!! I changed it back to factory settings for now...

Now i need to go get her correclty tuned.
Old 08-19-2010, 03:15 PM
On The Tree

I am surprised that MC racing would have done the Procharger install with just a little Hypertech tuner. I live in the area and have heard good things about MC racing after it changed ownership. But I forget when that happened so maybe your car was there under the old owners which were rumored to have cut corners and done some questionable stuff.

I agree with the others that I would check to make sure you plumbing isn't leaking first and go from there. And once you get that fixed there are some nice and well known tuners around here that would be able to do a nice street tune on your car for a reasonable price. If you just had your engine rebuilt then a good tune would go a long way to keeping it running healthy for a long time.

Missouri F-body is also another good source for info on who can give help around here locally. For a good street tune I have had friends have great luck with DLove which I think is even registered here I believe but if not I know you will find him on Mo F-body forums.

Good luck hope you figure it out soon.
Old 08-19-2010, 03:23 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by T.Shaw
I installed the new Surge Valve and after seeing how the new one functions. The old one was in destroid condition and was def leaking a bunch of air. It wasnt working at all.

I havnt test drove her yet but one thing that instantly changed was my Vacum. With the the old bypass valve i sat at about -5 pounds (idle) . Now it is sitting at -15 vacum (idle). Is that ok? I also hooked up the Hypertech power programmer and it said the hypertech program was currently installed!! I changed it back to factory settings for now...

Now i need to go get her correclty tuned.
From my knowledge that is a much better vacuum meaning it is more along the lines of what it should be, and the stock tune should be ok for just easy going street driving till you get it tuned but try and avoid full boost runs as you will most likely get detonation. I am also guessing the fuel system is stock meaning the fuel injectors are factory because if not then your tune could also be washing your cylinders with excess fuel so double check you might need the handheld tune if it was set to adjust for your injectors being a different size. Just some things I would look at before driving it very much without an experienced tuner looking more at it.
Old 08-19-2010, 03:44 PM
Teching In

Smile

Sounds good. Thank Warpnova. MC Racing actually Dyno'ed it. They had the Power Programmer at the shop with them but only because i brought everything i had when the ProCharger was getting installed. I think when the engine blew the people who rebuit my engine installed the P.P. MC Racing does a GREAT JOB! My father has a '08 C6 vet with the D1sc intalled he had a couple problem with it at first and they drove down to Wichita from Kansas City, picked it up on a trailer and fixed it then brought it back. All Free. MC Racing will always be on my good side. Had some great times with those guys.

I am only gonna drive her to work as easy as possible till i get her tuned. I might get on her just enuff to see if boost is building, but thats it. Thanks Man.
Old 08-19-2010, 08:18 PM
Teching In

Question

Ok I got on it just enuff to see if it would boost at all... and Nothing! I am needing to take it to a tuner here in Wichita, KS? Anyone know of anybody who does decently priced work? House Of Boost is GREAT but to pricie for me. haha ANyone know of any good ones?
Old 08-19-2010, 09:03 PM
Teching In

The first picture is the ProFlow Surge Valve I purchased from ProCharger's Web Site.

The Second Picture is the Intercooler Schematic for the 1998-2001 LS1 F-Body's
Attached Thumbnails '98 WS6 Trans Am, 8 yr old ProCharger - Not Building Boost?-av005a-001.jpg   '98 WS6 Trans Am, 8 yr old ProCharger - Not Building Boost?-img.jpg  

Last edited by T.Shaw; 08-19-2010 at 09:14 PM.
Old 08-19-2010, 09:16 PM
Teching In

ProCharger Discharge Tubing
(Underneath Vehicle, Looking Up)
Attached Thumbnails '98 WS6 Trans Am, 8 yr old ProCharger - Not Building Boost?-img.jpg  
Old 08-20-2010, 08:32 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by T.Shaw
Ok I got on it just enuff to see if it would boost at all... and Nothing! I am needing to take it to a tuner here in Wichita, KS? Anyone know of anybody who does decently priced work? House Of Boost is GREAT but to pricie for me. haha ANyone know of any good ones?
Cheaper isn't always better...Especially when it comes to tuning. House of Boost would be worth the drive...
Old 08-21-2010, 03:58 PM
Teching In

Can someone look at these tuning prices from House Of Boost and let me now which I need and whats cost. Or should I just mail them?

http://www.houseofboost.com/main/dyno_tuning.html
Old 08-21-2010, 04:19 PM
12 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Email them. But it sounds like you have a problem so fix that and then get it tuned.
Old 08-21-2010, 08:41 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by MUSTANGBRKR02
Email them. But it sounds like you have a problem so fix that and then get it tuned.
I removed my Hypertech Tuning program the other day and whent back to factory setting for safty sake till i get her tuned but it seemed like my car was running kinda lean. I did a "custom tune" using the hypertech programmer today by reloading the hypertech engine tune, Adjusted my Thermostat setting to 180, wich is the stat i have installed, adjusted the rev limiter to 6200, and the tire rating to ZR. I got in it and drove to work and noticed it was responding alot better and Air/Fuel looked good... I mean it was running great. I got on it a little bit and was instantly up to 2 psi on the boost gauge. Now,, 2 psi isnt ****, but going from none to 2, there was a definate in your seat difference! So it made me pretty happy. I have checked for leaks over and over again. I have replaced hoses and hose clamps everythings been great in that department, just no boost, until today. I dont know if it was the hypertech or what but i definatly believe its my tuning thats all f-ed up. I will be getting it tuned ASAP and then I hope all is good, back up to 7 or 8 psi.... I hope!
Old 08-22-2010, 08:29 PM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

where did you hook up the boost gauge hose or is it digital? And what kind of boost gauge? The part# would help also.
Old 08-23-2010, 12:09 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 9t8z28
where did you hook up the boost gauge hose or is it digital? And what kind of boost gauge? The part# would help also.
Its kinda hard to tell, it is hooked up to several T joints and run all around. Looks like it running off my ProFlow Bypass Valve but its hooked to other **** too. I had it all installed at N2Win Performance in Wichita, KS. I myself am fairly car illiterate. haha Ill try to figure it out better for ya tomorrow if you really want?

This is what I have installed on my '98 Trans Am;

http://www.glowshiftdirect.com/93-02...e-package.aspx

Here is the link to just the Boost Guage;
Part Number: GS-T01
http://www.glowshiftdirect.com/Tinte...uum-gauge.aspx

Last edited by T.Shaw; 08-23-2010 at 12:21 AM.
Old 08-23-2010, 12:13 AM
Teching In

Question

I found a large crack on my driver side Intercooler. I have the Twin HighFlows from ProCharger that come stock with the P-1SC-1 Kit. The Passanger side one looks great though... I cant seem to find a replacment intercooler anywhere??? Anyone have any idea? thanks

Last edited by T.Shaw; 08-23-2010 at 12:19 AM.
Old 08-23-2010, 12:02 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You could probably get a new one from ProCharger for $500 - $600, or have that one welded up.
Old 08-23-2010, 02:10 PM
Teching In

I have been looking online for quite a while now. Procharger dosnt have them for sale on there website. I wish I could find a few, so I would have some price options. Could I just bypass that intercooler by just removing it and puting a straight pipe in its place? or would that screw **** up? It would still have the passanger side intercooler...

Quick Reply: '98 WS6 Trans Am, 8 yr old ProCharger - Not Building Boost?