Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Any maggied ls1's out there??

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2011, 03:59 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

and i also went to school for it.

NA cars are comin from factory at a lean 12:1 on WOT, mainly for fuel economy. performance based NA vehicles will see 11-11.5:1. lowest i seen one tuned was 10.5:1 for maximum allowable power for NA.

FI cars can utilize the 10:1 (and in one case i saw 9.7:1) more efficiently since there is more air being forced in. regardless what u think, that little extra squeeze compensates for the MAF/MAP. when forcing that extra volume of air, instead of allowing the motor to vacuum it, theres gonna be a little bit extra air being pushed into the cylinders that those sensors just dont read.

that is what i learned. that is what ive studied. and that is what ive experienced. if i am wrong, i will gladly take defeat and no shame. as well relearning my stuff. so before you made an *** out of U and ME (ASSUME) maybe you shouldve asked about my qualifacations first.
Old 01-08-2011, 12:23 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Back to the OP.

It is possible that the typical maggie installation just doesn't get that much attention. Buy it, install it, tune it, close the hood. Everything fits, very rarely does anything fall apart, blow up, or leak, if any problems come up, the factory support is very good, and the problem goes away... Pretty dull really, just a huge increase in torque, with no other penalty, the new ones are so quite, most people don't even know anything is different.

Last edited by twinturbo496; 01-08-2011 at 12:24 AM. Reason: grammar
Old 01-08-2011, 12:37 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by c6matt
no, that stops the pully spinning on the crank, it doesnt help the belt, plus, the belt slips on the supercharger pulley (if its gonna slip it would be there)
I havent had any slip issues... but i'm also not running that much boost...yet
+1 regarding crank pinning

The belt slip issue can be addressed in more than one way:
Change to a belt with more ribs (from 6 to 8)
Extra idler pullies very close to the blower pulley to increase belt wrap,
Increase crank pulley diameter instead of a smaller blower pulley,
slotted or drilled blower pulley,
stronger tensioner

I would recommend not using a solid style tensioner, the thermal growth in the engine can cause very high loads on the alternator bearings, water pump bearings, and perhaps even break off the nose of your blower.
Old 01-08-2011, 10:55 AM
Launching!

Laughing at CFon159, what institution did you study at?!

10:1 Naturally Aspirated, on what maybe only an aircooled motor if that.

I hope you did not have to pay at this "school"
Old 01-08-2011, 10:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by wilson34
Laughing at CFon159, what institution did you study at?!

10:1 Naturally Aspirated, on what maybe only an aircooled motor if that.

I hope you did not have to pay at this "school"
lowest i seen one tuned was 10.5:1 for maximum allowable power for NA.

FI cars can utilize the 10:1
Old 01-08-2011, 10:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by cfon159
and i also went to school for it.

NA cars are comin from factory at a lean 12:1 on WOT, mainly for fuel economy. performance based NA vehicles will see 11-11.5:1. lowest i seen one tuned was 10.5:1 for maximum allowable power for NA.

FI cars can utilize the 10:1 (and in one case i saw 9.7:1) more efficiently since there is more air being forced in. regardless what u think, that little extra squeeze compensates for the MAF/MAP. when forcing that extra volume of air, instead of allowing the motor to vacuum it, theres gonna be a little bit extra air being pushed into the cylinders that those sensors just dont read.

that is what i learned. that is what ive studied. and that is what ive experienced. if i am wrong, i will gladly take defeat and no shame. as well relearning my stuff. so before you made an *** out of U and ME (ASSUME) maybe you shouldve asked about my qualifacations first.
You really need to go back and re-read your engine building books because if you were to build an Ls block around these theories, then you have a dog of a motor, if it even lasted long enough to get some good runs.
Go and check the dyno section on here, many ls setups with SC and turbo's use anywhere from 9.5 down to even 8.5:1 CR ratios. This is the "hot-spot" for optimum performance for most combinations.

Sure, you COULD run 12:1, 11:1, etc if you wanted to, but it would run horrible and any performance use would be thrown out the window.
Old 01-09-2011, 12:34 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Fb0dy0nly
You really need to go back and re-read your engine building books because if you were to build an Ls block around these theories, then you have a dog of a motor, if it even lasted long enough to get some good runs.
Go and check the dyno section on here, many ls setups with SC and turbo's use anywhere from 9.5 down to even 8.5:1 CR ratios. This is the "hot-spot" for optimum performance for most combinations.

Sure, you COULD run 12:1, 11:1, etc if you wanted to, but it would run horrible and any performance use would be thrown out the window.
i think he is talking about fuel mixture and you are talking about compression ratio.
Old 01-09-2011, 07:16 AM
Teching In

Thank you. I"ve been trying to figure out what in the heck everyone was talking about. LOL..

Here's the deal and the question I have for you gentleman that play with these things all the time and I am asking your views..
The car (Vette) is my last toy. Told RPM Motorsports it will never see the track and it won't. Wanted something to enjoy taking to shows, enjoying events, long road trips, but wanted the best fuel millage with the most power I could get out the maggie and wanted it to "LIVE" (last a long time) HAHA
Went with the turbo first cause I wanted to try something different and wanted it to spool up quick yet be good on top end. Thats been a adventure in itself and making a long story short, we drove 850 miles to have it installed and it never make it home. Turbo burnt up and the installer would not even answer the phone. Had a big fancy work shop online with hot cars outside but when we got there was a totally different place and story. I"ve had a time with this vette.
I have a blown Saturn Sky 2.4 motor that is a blast to drive on the street and not that quick compared to a lot of you guys vettes but it does 8:20's in the 1/8th with street tires. I did take it to the local track just to see what it would do. Boosting 15psi. Long tube headers and motor is stock but the skys have 3.90 gears from the factory and they are lite cars. GF is enjoying that car now.
Wanted a tune on the vette that would give me the best of both worlds. Power and fuel millage.
Had the 65fast injectors from the turbo so RPM used them in this motor.
Kinda wondered about the 14.5 at idle but maybe that was them working with the bigger injectors, but for the best of both worlds, in my way of thinking the 11.5 across the board was ok running 93 gas.
Now heres the question. What do you guys think and again all you guys views are welcome and yes I was talking about A/F numbers on the 14.5 at idle and 11.5 all the way across the board when he nailed it on the dyno. I made sure I watched that. ...

Last edited by liveaboard74; 01-09-2011 at 07:42 AM.
Old 01-09-2011, 07:37 AM
TECH Enthusiast

liveaboard74: Is your question surrounding your AFR at WOT?

If so, 11.5 on a magged LS motor is a pretty safe fuel mixture. I've seen people push FI motors to 12.2 and up, but that's pretty lean for FI, in my book. You may gain a few extra horses, but that mixture will be running pretty lean/hot.

When I tuned my motor after putting the maggie on, I learned that going lower than 11 would drop some serious horses (like 20 or more if I remember correctly). Right now my WOT is set somewhere around 11.2-11.6, it's been a while so I don't remember exactly. I did some dyno testing around 12.x, but didn't push it, as there wasn't a huge difference between 11.5 and 12.

Hope that helps ya out.
Old 01-09-2011, 07:46 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by muncie21
liveaboard74: Is your question surrounding your AFR at WOT?

If so, 11.5 on a magged LS motor is a pretty safe fuel mixture. I've seen people push FI motors to 12.2 and up, but that's pretty lean for FI, in my book. You may gain a few extra horses, but that mixture will be running pretty lean/hot.

When I tuned my motor after putting the maggie on, I learned that going lower than 11 would drop some serious horses (like 20 or more if I remember correctly). Right now my WOT is set somewhere around 11.2-11.6, it's been a while so I don't remember exactly. I did some dyno testing around 12.x, but didn't push it, as there wasn't a huge difference between 11.5 and 12.

Hope that helps ya out.
Yes sir.
Thats the fuel mixture I was talking about. Had problem with the installer on the sky to and I'll dig that dyno up and had to take it straight to another tuner and get that worked up but you guys are going to flip on that one. A/F between 2000 and 3500 went off the chart past 19. I'll dig it up and post if the OP does not mind.... ? Its still his thread...
Old 01-09-2011, 09:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by liveaboard74
Yes sir.
Thats the fuel mixture I was talking about. Had problem with the installer on the sky to and I'll dig that dyno up and had to take it straight to another tuner and get that worked up but you guys are going to flip on that one. A/F between 2000 and 3500 went off the chart past 19. I'll dig it up and post if the OP does not mind.... ? Its still his thread...
WOT 19:1 AFR, or possibly deceleration? Deceleration fuel cut off will send AFR to 20.9:1
Old 01-09-2011, 11:35 PM
11 Second Club

Had this on my car from LM speed. I have now taken it off and sold it to my buddie.

Let it speak for its self......

http://videos.streetfire.net/video/S...-at_133430.htm

Here is a picture of the spacer needed

Heres the cowl that gets cut

And it did more than what i expected. As far as I know I still have the highest numbers out of a f-body for right now.....

Car went 11.3 at 127
Old 01-10-2011, 05:09 AM
Teching In

Left Greenville SC with what you see on the chart driving the Sky. Was on the phone by Charlotte finding a dyno and stopped in Durham @ CAM and had them pull the numbers down and up like they were suppose to be.
Sounded like a fire crackling it was spark knocking so bad then of course Turner in Greenville would not pay for the new tune. Just sorry work and easy to see the ones that are only out for the money and could care less about the clients .. Carolina Auto Masters got the turn where it could live on the street and have not had one minuets problem with it . GF enjoys the power for passing an I blow the dust out of it when she drives it to the house.
On the maggie theres a guy with user name coolfun on Corvette forum thats way up there on the numbers . In the 740hp range but he's spinning that thing as fast as he can on a stroked motor. Fun to sit back and watch, those guys with the A&A and him are always going at it. Never any rest for the fastest... View from the cheap seats is just fine for me. Still waiting on RPM Motorsports to e mail me the dyno sheet on the vette. Maybe they will..

Last edited by liveaboard74; 01-10-2011 at 05:22 AM.
Old 01-10-2011, 05:49 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I wish I had the cogged pulley setup that Funcool has...
liveaboard74: PM'd you about your AFRs. Need to have someone work on your VE or MAF tables.

No sound on this clip, as it contained a 'copyrighted' track.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R1NMcZf6i7M

Last edited by muncie21; 01-10-2011 at 05:56 AM.
Old 01-10-2011, 06:10 AM
Teching In

Thanks muncie 21.. That was the first pull at CAM like it left Greenville SC or better, how I drove it in there. Totally different car after he put a retune on it and I left.
Old 01-10-2011, 03:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 97 Z Me Go
Had this on my car from LM speed. I have now taken it off and sold it to my buddie.
Car went 11.3 at 127
What mods do you have? tb size, cam, 112 or 122, pulley size etc.
Old 01-11-2011, 12:57 AM
Teching In

^^i'm the one who bought the blower from 97 Z Me Go, Its still the same 90mm TB with a 3.2 pulley. The difference is that he has PRC Stg 1.0 ls6 heads with the MS4 cam on a 111lsa. His car was absolutely mental with this set up and the mp112
Old 01-15-2011, 11:47 PM
Teching In

outstanding numbers, cant wait to scrounge up money to get mine.

i was refering to air/fuel ratio, not compression. thank you firechicken76 with assist.
Old 05-10-2011, 11:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 97 Z Me Go

Let it speak for its self......

http://videos.streetfire.net/video/S...-at_133430.htm

Here is a picture of the spacer needed

Heres the cowl that gets cut

And it did more than what i expected. As far as I know I still have the highest numbers out of a f-body for right now.....

Car went 11.3 at 127
what size spacers are needed?
sorry old posts haha
Old 05-10-2011, 11:41 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Spacers are 3/4"

Quick Reply: Any maggied ls1's out there??