Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Coating IC Parts?

Old 08-21-2010, 05:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Coating IC Parts?

My vortech aftercooler and piping need to be prettied up since the black paint or whatever came on the piping is scratched up and the aftercooler is pretty ugly in stock finish. I have a black car with black engine bay, some polish parts, including a polished vortech elbow.
What type of coating is good for these parts? I've seen some who've powdercoated, and something I recently heard of, Thermal Dispersant coating. What about simple hi-temp paint?

Thanks for the help.
Old 08-22-2010, 08:05 PM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Any good spray bomb will work if your not lookin to spend 100 bucks. I used Rustoleum Professional Grade and its pretty durable and believe it or not, scratch resistant.

Powdercoating would be the way to go IMO.
Old 08-22-2010, 08:09 PM
On The Tree

powder coat it all
Old 08-22-2010, 08:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

So the whole heat soak stuff isn't all that much of an issue on the aftercooler?

Appreciate the help.
Old 08-22-2010, 09:02 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Evaporate
So the whole heat soak stuff isn't all that much of an issue on the aftercooler?

Appreciate the help.
\
personaly i wouldnt powdercoat or use a heavy amount of paint...that would defeat the purpose of the,aftercooer/intercooler and wont lower your I.A.T but provide hot air due to the fins or what ever you call them being clogged....
Old 08-22-2010, 09:11 PM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by LTXBOI
\
personaly i wouldnt powdercoat or use a heavy amount of paint...that would defeat the purpose of the,aftercooer/intercooler and wont lower your I.A.T but provide hot air due to the fins or what ever you call them being clogged....
X2. I wouldn't paint the fins but the sides of the tank will not be effected if painted.
Old 08-23-2010, 12:45 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Ya, the aftercooler is like a case with all the fins enclosed inside. Shoot, maybe I'll try to hi temp paint it instead so long as it lasts and looks good.
Old 08-23-2010, 01:02 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Eastwood Radiator Paint is the way I went, and have had no problems. This is the second IC I've done this to (one side only) and it didn't seem to change IAT's at all. And the IC just disappears - you really have to look for it.

Light coats from a couple different angles until you get the look you want.

Jim
Old 08-23-2010, 10:02 PM
Motorboater

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Powder coating either a radiator or an intercooler will not affect its cooling capabilities. We do both regularly here in my shop with zero problems both on customer and personal cars and bikes.

A single coat of powder is way way way to thin to ever get caught between fins on anything and "clog" them, its just not possible with a thin electrostatically applied coating. Powder is also does not trap heat with any item that is coated, that is not an issue either.

I wouldn't use any high temp coating of any kind(paint, powder, ceramics) on intercooler piping. The piping will never get hot enough to cure it, and it'll be weak. Read the instructions on the back of a can of high temp paint on how to cure it for example. It relies on engine operating temps to cure itself to proper harndess. Ceramic coating, and high temp powder are all the same way. Standard powder or standard paint would be the correct choices.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Coating IC Parts?