Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Does your vented catch can smoke?

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2010, 09:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Does your vented catch can smoke?

How much, if any, do your all's vented catch cans vent out blow by smoke? I have a vented can with -10AN lines running off the valve covers. It smokes pretty good on cold start until the rings heat up. But even after fully hot, some smoke still comes out. It just looks bad when I'm at a stop light or in traffic and you see smoke coming out of the hood. Am I getting excessive smoke or is it just the nature of it?
Old 08-29-2010, 03:28 AM
8 Second Truck Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Mine smokes, its obvious at night at a stop with the headlights on. Not really obvious during the day.
Old 08-29-2010, 10:04 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

add a vac source to it. Run a line from the header it will pull the vapors away from it. If u add a vac source befor the maf it wont show as a vacume leak. But the constant draw of arir will keep the fumes down.
Old 08-29-2010, 11:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

I may of not properly seated the rings with this new motor because I was dealing with headgasket and running issues right off the bat. I filed the ring gaps pretty big and everything is forged anyways. I get the most smoke when my temperature gauge starts to creep high from sitting in traffic.

So about adding a vacuum source.. Do I need to run a line to the exhaust AND the intake, or just one or the other? No MAF here, Speed Density tuned. My catch can is a Moroso vented can with two -10AN bungs on it. Would I put a check valve in-line to the intake pipe to prevent a boost leak?
Old 08-29-2010, 11:52 AM
On The Tree

Mine has a tiny bit of smoke, but it's not enough to notice it coming out of the hood, only when its open.
Old 08-29-2010, 12:29 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

at idle there should be very little to no blowby-if you have smakoe coming out of your breather at idle you have excessive blowby,usually caused by out of round cylinders.
Old 08-29-2010, 04:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Man I would hope I don't have out of round cylinders. It was bored and honed with a plate for the 383 stroker. About 300 miles on the motor. It was just at your shop Shawn, so you might of saw it. I think I didn't get to seat the rings very well. But it's not exactly easy to tear the motor down again and put new rings in it. Would changing to a different oil help any? I'm running Rotella T 15w40 non synthetic.
Old 08-29-2010, 06:54 PM
12 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Mine does not smoke, I am running a dual can set up though.
Old 08-29-2010, 08:08 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Ralls
Man I would hope I don't have out of round cylinders. It was bored and honed with a plate for the 383 stroker. About 300 miles on the motor. It was just at your shop Shawn, so you might of saw it. I think I didn't get to seat the rings very well. But it's not exactly easy to tear the motor down again and put new rings in it. Would changing to a different oil help any? I'm running Rotella T 15w40 non synthetic.
I got to be honest with you-i don't think it's a ring issue.Even though it was honed with a torque plate-that doesn't mean the bores are round.i've been through this many many times.I fix alot of these.
Old 08-29-2010, 08:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

I would rather let this motor blow up then go through the agony of tearing down the motor and re-doing the cylinders.
How can I change my crankcase vent system so I won't see the smoke?
Old 08-29-2010, 08:28 PM
TECH Resident

It is normal to have some vapor come out of breathers. You can cut that down by running a line from the canister to the inlet ahead of the charger.
Old 08-30-2010, 07:24 AM
TECH Addict

Just add a vac line in the in take, and attach it to the breather. Be sure to put it as close to the breather as possible. If your intkae has a stock provision for pcv then u can use that.
Old 08-30-2010, 10:17 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm with Shawn on this one.
My mutant build was initially WAY off with the tune for the first hour or two of run time and I do not have ANY visible smoke at idle.
I empty the catch can after every tank of fuel and there is no oil coming out of it, just condensation that reeks of E85.
A friend of mine is having similar issues as yourself, and I would have to bet that there is some power being lost due to excessive blowby.
Old 08-30-2010, 11:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

You know what, it may just be water vapor. No oil in the catch can. I was getting nothing but water this whole time, but not as much lately. I've been having issues with my head studs leaking coolant. I used teflon paste on the studs in the block but all of my studs for some reason starting leaking coolant shortly after. I used GM Sealing tabs and it pretty much plugged up the leaking studs. I thought I was in the clear because my oil doesn't get milky anymore. I did a coolant pressure test recently and saw I still have a small leak. So I'm going to do the pressure test again with the valve covers off and see if any studs are still leaking. What i'm thinking is those few drops of water coming out of the stud(s) are burning off and causing the smoke.
Old 08-30-2010, 12:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

How big is big on the ring gap?
Old 08-30-2010, 08:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Tonight did not end well. First thing I did when I came home was pull the valve covers off and pressurize the radiator. Let it sit for an hour and a half while I changed the oil to 5w40 synthetic. Over that time the pressure gauge bleed down no more than 0.5psi. So I guess whatever was leaking is good now. Put it back together and got it hot (170*), then open up the coolant bleeder screw just to make sure no air was trapped. I have a 160* thermostat so it's suppose to stay around 170*. Drive it around the residential areas and the coolant temp gauge starts to creep up past 170* again. Keep in mind, I've been having an issue with keeping it cool at idle and slow driving with this new engine and turbo setup. So I just cruise at like 50mph for a little and it's cools back down. Well then I came to a stop and all of a sudden my temp gauge jumps from ~180* to ~230*.. then up to 260*. Pop the hood and nothing smoking up or boiling sound so I thought the temp gauge wire must of burnt on the header or something. Drove it straight home, which was right down the road. Pop the hood and found the overflow reservoir spewed coolant everywhere and was filled to the top. WTF!
I'm thinking the thermostat failed closed. I'm going to completely drain the radiator and block to get out all the left over GM Sealing tabs.

Btw, I have two Spal 11" curved blade low profile fans. Pullers and they are flowing the correct direction. No A/C condensor.
Old 08-30-2010, 08:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Gabbiani
How big is big on the ring gap?
Unfortunatly I do not see this measurement in my notebook of specs to the motor. I shouldn't guess, but I think it was somewhere around low 0.040's top and low 0.030's bottom.
Old 09-03-2010, 06:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by OUTLAWZ RACING
Just add a vac line in the in take, and attach it to the breather. Be sure to put it as close to the breather as possible. If your intkae has a stock provision for pcv then u can use that.
Would it work if I attached a line from the vac tube right under my throttle cable bracket to the breather??

Old 09-08-2010, 11:27 AM
TECH Enthusiast

^^^ do you know guys know if that vac source would work?
Old 09-08-2010, 12:35 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by edge04
^^^ do you know guys know if that vac source would work?
yes, that is what its there for, it will work fine, but you will have to put the stock oil cap back on, or you will be sucking unmetered air, and using the vent as an additional air filter...

although on mine i'm capping it and running a breather (vented) tank and eliminating the chance of oil ingestion entirely..

Quick Reply: Does your vented catch can smoke?