Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Low rwhp on twin turbo setup

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2010, 10:02 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The more i learn about rear mounts, the more i realize why they need larger exh housings.... the exh gasses are cooler (vs. front mounts) so they take up more space, so you need larger housings to decrease backpressure. If this is correct (i'll confirm that this weekend), what housing should i get? .81 or 1.06? p.s.. when i was building this combo, i expected boost to start at 4000 rpm so i was a little surprised when it was at 3500 rpms. I'll update with backpressure numbers this weekend. Thanks!

EDIT: looks like i got this backwards.....

Last edited by TracyRR; 09-03-2010 at 08:28 PM. Reason: fixed
Old 09-03-2010, 11:55 AM
11 Second Club

My guess would be the T3 flanges are killing you, not sure on how the effect is on a rearmount but I would say your gonna want T4's.

Jay
Old 09-03-2010, 12:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TracyRR
The more i learn about rear mounts, the more i realize why they need larger exh housings.... the exh gasses are cooler (vs. front mounts) so they take up more space, so you need larger housings to decrease backpressure. If this is correct (i'll confirm that this weekend), what housing should i get? .81 or 1.06? p.s.. when i was building this combo, i expected boost to start at 4000 rpm so i was a little surprised when it was at 3500 rpms. I'll update with backpressure numbers this weekend. Thanks!
Cooler air is denser than hot.
Old 09-03-2010, 12:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 3.8redbird
Cooler air is denser than hot.
damn, my mistake....
Old 09-03-2010, 06:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

what housing should i get? .81 or 1.06?
my buddy forged ls1 SS in vegas is pushing just over 630rear wheel with a single t67/.81 a/r
Old 09-03-2010, 07:56 PM
Restricted User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

This is completely incorrect. Hotter air takes up more space. Cooler air takes up less. This is why you want smaller exh housings than you would in a front mount because much of the heat/energy is lost on it's way back there and pressure is lost.
Old 09-03-2010, 08:00 PM
Restricted User

You are most likely blowing thru the converter up top.
Old 09-03-2010, 08:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 98Z28CobraKiller
This is completely incorrect. Hotter air takes up more space. Cooler air takes up less. This is why you want smaller exh housings than you would in a front mount because much of the heat/energy is lost on it's way back there and pressure is lost.
looks like i had it *** backwards.... still learning..

if i'm blowing through the converter, i could remedy that real quick if i lock it up on the dyno, correct? i have a vig triple lockup 2800rpm. thanks
Old 09-03-2010, 09:24 PM
Restricted User

looks like i had it *** backwards.... still learning..

if i'm blowing through the converter, i could remedy that real quick if i lock it up on the dyno, correct? i have a vig triple lockup 2800rpm. thanks
Yes you could lock it or you could compare wheel speed to rpm.
Old 09-03-2010, 09:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

yes, i will try locking it up when i dyno again next week or so. Thanks!
Old 09-05-2010, 12:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I tested backpressure and you guys were dead on....! At 10 pounds of boost i had 35 pounds of backpressure pre-turbo. My exhaust out of the turbo is nothing more than a foot of 3" pipe with a dynatech race split mufflers (straight through design). This would of course put me at 3.5:1 backpressure/boost ratio which as i understand it is WAY too high! So, should i buy the .81 or 1.06 housings (both would be T3 housings)? Thanks to everyone who have contributed so far!! I have learned a bunch with much more to learn!
Old 09-05-2010, 02:16 PM
Restricted User

sorry I didn't catch the T3 part. Get the biggest one.
Old 09-05-2010, 02:23 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I tested backpressure and you guys were dead on....! At 10 pounds of boost i had 35 pounds of backpressure pre-turbo. My exhaust out of the turbo is nothing more than a foot of 3" pipe with a dynatech race split mufflers (straight through design). This would of course put me at 3.5:1 backpressure/boost ratio which as i understand it is WAY too high! So, should i buy the .81 or 1.06 housings (both would be T3 housings)? Thanks to everyone who have contributed so far!! I have learned a bunch with much more to learn!
That backpressure may also be due to cold side inefficiencies. You have to measure boost right out of the turbo as well.

For example, if you have 10psi at the intake manifold but 30psi at the outlet of the turbo than your backpressure issue is due to having to drive the turbo that hard to overcome the pressure drop across the cold side and not because the turbine housing is too small.
Old 09-05-2010, 03:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by INTMD8
That backpressure may also be due to cold side inefficiencies. You have to measure boost right out of the turbo as well.

For example, if you have 10psi at the intake manifold but 30psi at the outlet of the turbo than your backpressure issue is due to having to drive the turbo that hard to overcome the pressure drop across the cold side and not because the turbine housing is too small.
ok, i will check it. What should the loss be? Thanks!
Old 09-05-2010, 05:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by INTMD8

damn, you nailed it intmd8!! I just checked the boost drop and it was 20 at the turbo and 10 at the motor...! What should i do next? Restrictions and boost leaks is my guess. Thanks!
Old 09-05-2010, 11:02 PM
TECH Regular

Check for leaks on the hot and cold side. All arrow point to cold side right now. z28cobrakiler is right. You want hot expanding air. Thats why it is so critical to wrap your exhaust on a remote set up.
Old 09-05-2010, 11:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by nodrok
Check for leaks on the hot and cold side. All arrow point to cold side right now. z28cobrakiler is right. You want hot expanding air. Thats why it is so critical to wrap your exhaust on a remote set up.
I just found two cold side leaks. i sealed up the cold side from the turbo's to the top of the I/C and ran 15 - 20 pounds from my compressor. It was two brackets that partially broke the weld and were leaking. Each leak was about 1 inch in length and the thickness of a hacksaw blade or so..... It was putting out a good bit of air but i don't know if that would be considered 10 pounds worth of leaking....? I will keep looking once i reweld the brackets. Thanks guys!
Old 09-06-2010, 12:12 AM
TECH Enthusiast

good to hear ya finally finding things. everyone knows how frustrating some problems can be when there are so many variables to check. that when u finally start to pin point things its such a relief. good luck
Old 09-06-2010, 08:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by z28adiction
good to hear ya finally finding things. everyone knows how frustrating some problems can be when there are so many variables to check. that when u finally start to pin point things its such a relief. good luck
Thanks z! This forum has been very helpful with my build, with new and old information..... I think i wore out the search function in this F/I section!!
Old 09-06-2010, 09:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Rear mount cars seem to like stock manifolds more then longtube headers because they keep the heat in.
Rear mount cars also benefit greatly from wrapping the whole exhaust with exhaust wrap to keep the heat in.
Also get rid of your cats if you still have them.

Quick Reply: Low rwhp on twin turbo setup