Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Low rwhp on twin turbo setup

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2010, 09:24 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 180ls1
Rear mount cars seem to like stock manifolds more then longtube headers because they keep the heat in.
Rear mount cars also benefit greatly from wrapping the whole exhaust with exhaust wrap to keep the heat in.
Also get rid of your cats if you still have them.
Yes, all piping and manifolds are wrapped front to back. I do have my factory mini cats on there but i measured the backpressure just before the turbo and the spool is fine. Thanks!

Does anyone know what the normal boost drop is for a rear mount setup? Mine is 20 at the turbo and 10 at the manifold, that sounds way too high. Thanks!
Old 09-07-2010, 09:46 AM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

didn't you say you had a leak?
Old 09-07-2010, 10:01 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mike13
didn't you say you had a leak?
Yes, i had two small leaks. I have not tested it yet since the repair. I know i will have some sort of drop from turbo to motor, i would like to know what is considered normal so i have a goal to shoot for. Thanks!
Old 09-07-2010, 10:27 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TracyRR
Yes, i had two small leaks. I have not tested it yet since the repair. I know i will have some sort of drop from turbo to motor, i would like to know what is considered normal so i have a goal to shoot for. Thanks!
I just tested a c6 on the dyno yesterday that has a single turbo and 3 inch piping from front to back and at 15 psi it only had 1 psi drop from the turbo outlet to the intake manifold.
Old 09-07-2010, 12:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've only really been into turbo cars for the last 5 years, but this thing I know: Leaks are a killer. Make sure there are no leaks on either exhaust or boost side before thinking anything is wrong. Your boost drop is way too big. It should be no more than a psi or two from the turbo to the intake manifold unless there is a leak, some restriction or an inefficient intercooler.

Oh yeah and turn the boost down before testing it after fixing stuff so you don't end up putting 20psi to the motor...
Old 09-07-2010, 12:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by black98ws6ta
I just tested a c6 on the dyno yesterday that has a single turbo and 3 inch piping from front to back and at 15 psi it only had 1 psi drop from the turbo outlet to the intake manifold.
hey black, that is good to know that it can be that efficient. Thanks!

Originally Posted by enginjoe
I've only really been into turbo cars for the last 5 years, but this thing I know: Leaks are a killer. Make sure there are no leaks on either exhaust or boost side before thinking anything is wrong. Your boost drop is way too big. It should be no more than a psi or two from the turbo to the intake manifold unless there is a leak, some restriction or an inefficient intercooler.

Oh yeah and turn the boost down before testing it after fixing stuff so you don't end up putting 20psi to the motor...
hey joe, i will test it later today if it is not raining. I have a 7.5 tial spring in the wastegates (10 pounds at the motor) and i have my boost controller all the way down. I have the wastegates referenced from the intake manifold which is why the turbo is at 20 pounds. Thanks!
Old 09-07-2010, 07:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well, i'm narrowing it down.... i have the same boost at the front of the throttle body as my turbo's at any given boost level.... once i checked it at the first vac port after the throttle body, it started to have a big boost drop. So obviously the intake or something on the intake is leaking big time.... I thing i noticed when i had the vacuum gauge on the first vac port after the throttle body is the vacuum was a couple pounds higher than when it is mounted at the rear of the intake.... so the leak is prob somewhere near the rear of the intake. I ran out of daylight so i will check it tomorrow. Thanks!
Old 09-07-2010, 08:06 PM
TECH Addict

My vote is for the MAP sensor causing the leak.
Old 09-07-2010, 08:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by XtremeDime
My vote is for the MAP sensor causing the leak.
it is a large port but i just installed a new 3 bar map yesterday with no change in the boost leak..... I double checked all of the o-rings in the manifold (they were new with the new engine) but i must admit i wasn't looking for an intake leak yesterday so i didn't remove it completely. I guess the best way to test it is to pull the covers and loosen the valves.... oh well, at least i'm close..... p.s.... are the ls6 manifolds known for cracking? Thanks!

Last edited by TracyRR; 09-07-2010 at 08:25 PM. Reason: fixed
Old 09-07-2010, 09:23 PM
10 Second Club

I'm confused because if your loosing boost at the intake you should have a huge vaccum leak, I would try spraying carb cleaner around the intake and seeing if it causes a idle change.
Old 09-07-2010, 10:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mike13
I'm confused because if your loosing boost at the intake you should have a huge vaccum leak, I would try spraying carb cleaner around the intake and seeing if it causes a idle change.
hey mike, your right... I was working on it tonight and noticed the aeromotive fuel rails were putting the injectors at a funky angle so i clearenced them a bit and they straightened out. After it was running, i did notice a hissing sound that i couldn't put my finger on.... I'm sure it was there the whole time but obviously i didn't pay close enough attention..... if i would have had carb cleaner, i would have used it but no luck tonight. I will get some tomorrow though. Thanks!
Old 09-07-2010, 10:38 PM
FormerVendor

Well, i'm narrowing it down.... i have the same boost at the front of the throttle body as my turbo's at any given boost level.... once i checked it at the first vac port after the throttle body, it started to have a big boost drop.
I assume you verified that the throttle body is opening 100%?
Old 09-07-2010, 10:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by INTMD8
umm, no... it is a fly by wire so i assumed it was opening but i will definitely check that. Thanks!
Old 09-07-2010, 10:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

umm, no... it is a fly by wire so i assumed it was opening but i will definitely check that. Thanks!
local guy with a 07 stang has DBW and his TB was only opening 70% and getting pretty high KPAs
even with tuning he could only get it to 97% but it still made a huge difference
Old 09-07-2010, 11:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

im curious if more power will be made with the fixes.

on the intake side, even with the fixed leaks, the engine will still be seeing the same pressure.

on the exhaust side, with a wastegate limited 10psi, the turbo sees the exhaust or it goes out the wastegate.

I get that the turbo is working harder creating more heat. is there anything else that would cause the engine to make substantially more power at the same boost level?
Old 09-07-2010, 11:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 71 chevy

on the intake side, even with the fixed leaks, the engine will still be seeing the same pressure.

on the exhaust side, with a wastegate limited 10psi, the turbo sees the exhaust or it goes out the wastegate.

I get that the turbo is working harder creating more heat. is there anything else that would cause the engine to make substantially more power at the same boost level?
If the TB isnt opening all the way quite a bit. Also the boost should come in quicker without the leaks making the bands much broader
Old 09-08-2010, 09:11 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 3.8redbird
local guy with a 07 stang has DBW and his TB was only opening 70% and getting pretty high KPAs
even with tuning he could only get it to 97% but it still made a huge difference
Hey 3.8, when i dyno in the next couple weeks, i'll get my tuner to verify it is opening properly. Thanks!

Hey 71, i'm assuming your speaking of the intake leaks, but once they are fixed, i plan to run the boost up to 20 pounds (if i'm feeling lucky) with the boost controller. At 20 pounds, the backpressure was 35 pounds so without fixing the intake leaks, the backpressure would be through the roof if the motor were to see 20 pounds. I don't expect to make more power at the same boost levels with the intake leaks fixed. Thanks!
Old 09-08-2010, 10:54 AM
FormerVendor

is there anything else that would cause the engine to make substantially more power at the same boost level?
Yes.

A turbo producing 20psi so the engine can see 10 requires more power to drive than a turbo producing 10psi and the engine seeing the same.
Old 09-08-2010, 11:09 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Yes, i just spoke to Geoff (my tuner) and he confirmed that i was at 100% throttle according to his log. We will double check it when we dyno again. Thanks!
Old 09-08-2010, 03:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yes.

A turbo producing 20psi so the engine can see 10 requires more power to drive than a turbo producing 10psi and the engine seeing the same.
it makes sense. I would be curious to know how much power though?

Quick Reply: Low rwhp on twin turbo setup