Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

info on turbo porting?

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2010, 02:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by NBM-LS1
Not a problem here. I read an article on it a while back. Ill have to search for it later. I m going to bed now. I was trying to be helpful and save you some time and effort.
help me read said article Ill gladly admit your right, till then lol

ps. thank you! its refreshing to see somebody get called out and gladly offer to back their words up with something more than opinion
Old 11-20-2010, 08:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't know who/where would offer any kind of insight, but in my former life as a Dodge SRT-4 owner there were dyno proven gains in porting the stock turbo as well as clipping the impeller fins. I don't know if there is anything to be gained on an aftermarket turbo, but if you would like to get in touch with someone within that community who has a lot of experience porting turbos and see if he has any input for you let me know.
Old 11-20-2010, 03:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

^^^I would like to get in touch with him, a link to the dyno sheets would be cool too, if ya dont mind
Old 11-20-2010, 03:45 PM
On The Tree

porting and polishing the housings really wont give you any high amount gains if any...but if you can match the all the hotside openings, to include gaskets, for the smoothest exhaust flow possible then you could see gains in spool time. Port matching gaskets, manifolds, etc makes the hotside more efficient resulting in quicker spool time.
Old 11-20-2010, 08:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ries
porting and polishing the housings really wont give you any high amount gains if any...but if you can match the all the hotside openings, to include gaskets, for the smoothest exhaust flow possible then you could see gains in spool time. Port matching gaskets, manifolds, etc makes the hotside more efficient resulting in quicker spool time.
oh trust me I plan on paying a huge amount of attention to the hot sides Im just thinkin if I really wanna work that hard to make the hots right, I may as well go all out on the charge's. but since theres really not a huge amount of things to be done I figured why not, port the turbo. Im just not taking destructive tools to my $1000 turbo without asking a few questions first lol
Old 11-23-2010, 01:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

anybody else?
Old 11-23-2010, 01:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by CarsandWomen
^^^I would like to get in touch with him, a link to the dyno sheets would be cool too, if ya dont mind
**** man I'm sorry, forgot all about this thread. (253) 277-3843 is the number. The shop is PT-Performance and the guys name is John Bushbaum. He was always very helpful on the phone with me.
Old 11-24-2010, 04:36 PM
TECH Regular

My PT88 i bought used came with a ported compressor housing outlet. Looks like a solid 1/8th thick of aluminum was removed (weight reduction)

IIRC someone a long time ago said it would help with spool time, but personally unless the casting was like 40 grit sand paper style horrible, i cant see it doing too much of anything. Maybe a nicer transition to your charge piping, less turbulance there perhaps. I dont know im just guessing honestly. :shrugs: Easy way for shops to make a quick $100.
Old 11-24-2010, 06:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

here's a fun video to watch. Not for an Ls but still maybe useful to someone...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pO6YQClJJI8
other porting info:
http://www.gnttype.org/techarea/turbo/turboport.html
some good before and after shots of housing inlet to get an idea of how much you can take off and where:http://www.audiforum.ca/performance-...ing-turbo.html
Old 11-24-2010, 06:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Hi Volume
My PT88 i bought used came with a ported compressor housing outlet. Looks like a solid 1/8th thick of aluminum was removed (weight reduction)

IIRC someone a long time ago said it would help with spool time, but personally unless the casting was like 40 grit sand paper style horrible, i cant see it doing too much of anything. Maybe a nicer transition to your charge piping, less turbulance there perhaps. I dont know im just guessing honestly. :shrugs: Easy way for shops to make a quick $100.
to be honest, it really is like 40 grit, thats what caught my eye and sparked this thread. I cant believe Turbonetics lets em out like this but its nice new aluminum, just coarse as all hell.
Old 11-27-2010, 12:21 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by CarsandWomen
to be honest, it really is like 40 grit, thats what caught my eye and sparked this thread. I cant believe Turbonetics lets em out like this but its nice new aluminum, just coarse as all hell.
if the manufacture sells it like that, it must be ok..
i would leave it alone..
Old 11-27-2010, 01:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by crashly
if the manufacture sells it like that, it must be ok..
i would leave it alone..
Our cars are ok from the factory too, but we dont leave them alone now do we?
Old 11-28-2010, 06:34 AM
TECH Resident

From a production stand point, it's not feasible to "clean up" every casting(ie intakes, cylinder heads) at the foundry or at the distributer. Porting a turbo most likely falls into the same situation. Porting one in theory should help I would think. How much? IDK. Hopefully someone here has data on it. Never hear much on the topic.

Quick Reply: info on turbo porting?