Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

info on turbo porting?

Old 10-02-2010, 07:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default info on turbo porting?

I was curious to see what the pros and cons were (since my turbo is on my dresser lol) a search pulled up zero. im looking for any and all info on porting a turbo, specifically a TC76.

I know how to port and polish so i was gonna to do it but with such an expensive piece my smarter side said "do a little research first dumbass "
Old 10-02-2010, 07:06 PM
TECH Addict

if you cant find anything with just a quick search, then its probly not very good idea to do it? it sounds like your waiting around for parts or time or money to finish your build and your finding other crazy idea's lol i do it all the time.
Old 10-02-2010, 07:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by slowlsx
if you cant find anything with just a quick search, then its probly not very good idea to do it? it sounds like your waiting around for parts or time or money to finish your build and your finding other crazy idea's lol i do it all the time.
im workin on my setup every weekend. and still finding other crazy idea's LMAO but looking at this thing it wouldnt take long at all, maybe 2 or 3 hours tops. im just looking for whats possible with it, i.e. power gains, spool benefits, etc.
Old 10-02-2010, 07:43 PM
Teching In

Turbos are precision machines. I personally would not touch them unless there was obvious casting marks or the flanges didn't match up. Wrap your manifolds if you want something to do. (Longevity might be compromised for very minimal gains). Water injection can cool the boost and give you a bit more power too, spray further upstream (not before the turbine) to give the water a chance to evaporate and cool the charge. The problem is water will collect in your intercooler and every low point. Turbo inlets are often ignored, a poor flowing intake/air filter will hurt you just as much as it would on a n/a engine.

Last edited by gluon; 10-02-2010 at 07:53 PM.
Old 10-02-2010, 07:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by gluon
Turbos are precision machines. I personally would not touch them unless there was obvious casting marks or the flanges didn't match up. Wrap your manifolds if you want something to do. (Longevity might be compromised for very minimal gains). Water injection can cool the boost and give you a bit more power too, spray further upstream (not before the turbine) to give the water a chance to evaporate and cool the charge. The problem is water will collect in your intercooler and every low point. Turbo inlets are often ignored, a poor flowing intake/air filter will hurt you just as much as it would on a n/a engine.
no offense man but i already new all that, porting my turbo is the only one that will cost me nothing.
Old 10-02-2010, 07:54 PM
Teching In

Well. If you want a big project for 5hp. Take your motor apart and apply oil shedding coatings to the inside, deburr everything, coat your exhaust ports with high temp ceramic. Could be done for $20, and header wrap is not exactly expensive. Or yank your power steering, a/c off, alternator. Easy 10 there. But you would need a new belt...

Just saying. I don't know much about turbos.

Last edited by gluon; 10-02-2010 at 08:04 PM.
Old 10-03-2010, 11:03 PM
TECH Apprentice

i got a bigger turbo ill trade ya
Old 10-04-2010, 11:22 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gluon
Well. If you want a big project for 5hp. Take your motor apart and apply oil shedding coatings to the inside, deburr everything, coat your exhaust ports with high temp ceramic. Could be done for $20, and header wrap is not exactly expensive. Or yank your power steering, a/c off, alternator. Easy 10 there. But you would need a new belt...

Just saying. I don't know much about turbos.

this guy obviously hasnt bought wrapping lately. I've got a few hundred bucks in wrap in my turbo kit
Old 10-04-2010, 12:01 PM
TECH Veteran

no ****, 45 bucks a roll, and i need two to make one pass. of course, thats on a rearmount, lol

and am considering wrapping it 2 more times. lol
Old 10-05-2010, 08:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 98TA6.0
this guy obviously hasnt bought wrapping lately. I've got a few hundred bucks in wrap in my turbo kit
look at his join date/post count, then read what he writes. not really much experience, if any, are behind his words. On top of that, he doesnt offer an answer or alternative to my question, he offers me his 3rd party opinion, of which im not remotely interested in and has little relation to the topic of my thread.

I wanna know about porting a turbo, facts and experience, nothing more nothing less.
Old 10-05-2010, 08:25 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i see nothing wrong with opening up the discharge duct of the compressor but i would get too crazy inside the compressor cover. also a little smoothing and massaging of the turbine exhaust housing can only help flow.
Old 10-05-2010, 08:32 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wouldn't bother doing any more than knock down any rough spots and casting flash.
I'm sure you could go crazy and do a full port job on the housings, but I can't see any real HP gain. If you have time to kill then go for it, just stay away from the inner most ID by the turbine wheel. The gap between that part of the housing and the wheel is critical. Same goes for the compressor side.
I touched up my turbine sides a little, but I was primarily concerned with casting flash breaking up and finding its way into the magic spinny thingy, LOL....
Spend the time you saved drinking a few beers and cleaning up the garage...

Jim

Last edited by camarols1; 10-05-2010 at 08:38 AM.
Old 10-05-2010, 08:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 98TA6.0
i see nothing wrong with opening up the discharge duct of the compressor but i would get too crazy inside the compressor cover. also a little smoothing and massaging of the turbine exhaust housing can only help flow.
100% agree, im just looking for more info on it. If i find none then ill prob just polish both, leave the insides (right around the turbines) untouched. there are specific things with roots/screw superchargers to do when porting, im thinking turbos are no different.

Im pretty positive the area of the hot side between the flange and turbine is a specific shape so ill just polish it smooth for higher velocity/faster better spool. the compressor discharge i think will benefit from mild porting and a very good polish.
Old 10-15-2010, 08:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

tttop
Old 10-15-2010, 06:42 PM
On The Tree

I'm in for info on turbo porting too!!!
I of course would take care of any rough or bad casting areas, But I would like to know if there are any "KEY" areas to smooth or blend out.

lets here from some turbo gurus!!!
Old 11-19-2010, 08:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by So.jerZ-28
I would like to know if there are any "KEY" areas to smooth or blend out.
This, and on up.

I still havent done this, so ill look for info till I do lol
Old 11-19-2010, 10:09 PM
TECH Resident

You guys do know that polishing really does nothing to increase velocity. I know that this contributes nothing.
Old 11-19-2010, 11:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

and without proof I know I have no reason to believe you.

not trying to be a dick but a little more explanation is required if you expect to be taken seriously.
Old 11-20-2010, 12:16 AM
TECH Resident

Not a problem here. I read an article on it a while back. Ill have to search for it later. I m going to bed now. I was trying to be helpful and save you some time and effort.
Old 11-20-2010, 12:22 AM
On The Tree

Changing the inside of the turbo exhaust and compressor housing form a 60 grit sand paper texture to a 2500 grit is not going to make it work any better. It just dosant make 1/9 of an horsepower.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: info on turbo porting?