Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Building a new kit including headers

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2012, 08:36 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I always wondered how people would go so long with out updating their threads now I know. A huge lack of motivation, buying a house, and picking up a new hobby (jiu-jitsu). It doesn't take much to push things aside. It took a couple of months to get the motor back and once it did, it took me about 2 more months to get install. But I did finally get it all put together. The car was defiantly stronger and would finally hold boost steady at 14psi. I drove it around for a few weeks but of course with my luck more gremlins raise their heads.

The car now wants to overheat, once I drive it a bit then come back to a stop. This was in 60* weather. I was in a rush and bought kinda shitty fans that flow 660cfm I think. I and going to order some from summit that flow 1000cfm. If that doesn't fix it completely I got an idea from a co-work that runs blown big block. That will involve welding baffles in the tanks to force the water to make 3 passes across the radiator. My trans had also began to give me issue with the trans brake. It wouldn't launch on it anymore and just slide out. It maybe just 1st gear going out, the last time I drove it was to the track on the way home I noticed I had lost OD. It also started pulling all the KR at 100% throttle, at 99% it would come back. I was only running 14* since everything was fresh.

So the last time at the track on 14psi and 8* or 9* and a dying trans it went 10.9, which I didn't feel that back about given the conditions. But with all the other things going on it just left it untouched in the garage. Between the house, work being slow, and tuition I was to broke mentally and financially to mess with it. But I have slowly getting the itch again after hanging out with my car friends to give it one last go. If it doesn't work after this trying, it's getting sold or parted out.

I pulled the trans out and shipped it to get rebuilt and upgraded. I pulled the rear last night to have the whining *** gears replace. I am going to replace the fans and move the trans cooler to the back of the car. Only thing left is for the tune. I'm on the fence about just taking it to LMR or having another friend give it a shot. It will basically be $100 vs $850. Hopefully on a couple of weeks it will back on the road and finally deliver that 9 second pass that I have been wanting for years now.
Old 06-01-2012, 10:55 AM
12 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Spend the 850 and buy a wideband and HPTuners and do it yourself.
Old 06-01-2012, 10:58 AM
TECH Resident

Sucks to hear all that man. I bumped this like a month ago lol. Holy long wait time batman.

Hopefully you can get it all straightened out!
Old 06-01-2012, 01:15 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If it overheats at highway speeds then it's not your fans. They cool when it's sitting. I'd suggest waterpump or airflow related ie air damn.
Old 06-01-2012, 05:17 PM
12 Second Club

I already have a wide band and have thought of buying HP tuners, may still do it. It wanted to over heat at slow speeds then once it starts the fans cant recover if I remember correctly. Hopefully fans and moving the trans cooler out of the way will help. I thought of also make a top airdam like the cars come with to help direct the air.
Old 06-01-2012, 08:06 PM
12 Second Club

just read the thread,bad *** kit,sucks on the shitty luck,hope it all gets sorted
Old 06-06-2012, 10:49 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Any updates? Build looked like it was going pretty well until the motor took a dump. Headers look good sir.
Old 06-06-2012, 11:11 PM
11 Second Club

I purchased jegs dual pusher fans and they work awsome, my temps never go above 180, even in 90deg weather
Old 06-07-2012, 09:45 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by camaro383
I purchased jegs dual pusher fans and they work awsome, my temps never go above 180, even in 90deg weather
What size, I can only fit 10" fans with how I have the core support.

Dropped the 3rd member off this morning to have the gears swapped. I'm calling Jake's in the morning to see if they have cracked it open and what the damage is going to be. They're supposed to be putting billet shafts in it and possibly updating the trans brake.
Old 06-08-2012, 05:43 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Sluggish
I always wondered how people would go so long with out updating their threads now I know. A huge lack of motivation, buying a house, and picking up a new hobby (jiu-jitsu). It doesn't take much to push things aside. It took a couple of months to get the motor back and once it did, it took me about 2 more months to get install. But I did finally get it all put together. The car was defiantly stronger and would finally hold boost steady at 14psi. I drove it around for a few weeks but of course with my luck more gremlins raise their heads.

The car now wants to overheat, once I drive it a bit then come back to a stop. This was in 60* weather. I was in a rush and bought kinda shitty fans that flow 660cfm I think. I and going to order some from summit that flow 1000cfm. If that doesn't fix it completely I got an idea from a co-work that runs blown big block. That will involve welding baffles in the tanks to force the water to make 3 passes across the radiator. My trans had also began to give me issue with the trans brake. It wouldn't launch on it anymore and just slide out. It maybe just 1st gear going out, the last time I drove it was to the track on the way home I noticed I had lost OD. It also started pulling all the KR at 100% throttle, at 99% it would come back. I was only running 14* since everything was fresh.

So the last time at the track on 14psi and 8* or 9* and a dying trans it went 10.9, which I didn't feel that back about given the conditions. But with all the other things going on it just left it untouched in the garage. Between the house, work being slow, and tuition I was to broke mentally and financially to mess with it. But I have slowly getting the itch again after hanging out with my car friends to give it one last go. If it doesn't work after this trying, it's getting sold or parted out.

I pulled the trans out and shipped it to get rebuilt and upgraded. I pulled the rear last night to have the whining *** gears replace. I am going to replace the fans and move the trans cooler to the back of the car. Only thing left is for the tune. I'm on the fence about just taking it to LMR or having another friend give it a shot. It will basically be $100 vs $850. Hopefully on a couple of weeks it will back on the road and finally deliver that 9 second pass that I have been wanting for years now.
Welcome to the unmotivated Fbody owner club. June 3rd officially marked five years of my car not running. Congrats on the house and picking up bjj. I'm a two stripe purple and love every minute of it. Despite being relatively young, I wish I would have started earlier. I'm also looking into purchasing a house, but through some creative book keeping being able to tie some money into my mortgage and repairs to finish my car.
Old 10-14-2013, 09:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Been a while, still subbed to the thread.

Any new info? Or did ya fall off the planet?
Old 11-06-2013, 08:17 PM
12 Second Club

Still around, rarely get on tech anymore. The latest is I put the car back together, runs great. I went to the track a couple of months ago and ran a 10.20 @ 135 on around 16psi. This wasn't bad considering I switched the meth from a 50/50 mix to 100% without a tune. The car had my A/F gauge pegged at 10.0. I also found that the number 7 wire was burn, it's plug fouled out completely and the number 8 plug had half of the strap missing. So the car basically made the pass on 6 cylinders. I plan on taking it back Saturday to see it will do.

Edit: Mission Accomplished
https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-in...k-5-years.html

Last edited by Sluggish; 11-11-2013 at 10:29 AM.
Old 11-27-2013, 01:42 PM
On The Tree

Nice looking build! glad you got it back together, your almost into the nines keep on going lol.. hot rodding always has its ups and downs... never learn anything if stuff doesnt go wrong! starting a build on my thirdgen soon here and like the way your headers are looking going to try building a custom set myself

Quick Reply: Building a new kit including headers