Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

LSX block or ERL ??? opinons welcome

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2010, 02:42 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Phil99vette
A properly prepped LS2 block will be more than sufficient to make the 800-950rwhp your looking for. The key is selecting the right parts that will work together in the most efficient mannor to achieve your goals. Get a quality crank, pair of heads and machine shop and you wont have any issues. With the correct block prep, surface finish and the right fasteners, at 900hp the 4 bolt heads will work fine. Fireball made ~1800hp with 4 bolt heads and an LS2 block for whatever thats worth.
Didn't fireball use a STOCK ls2 block with a little block filelr in there? Think he used o-ringed heads to but i cant be sure of that.......
Old 10-08-2010, 09:53 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by chuntington101
Didn't fireball use a STOCK ls2 block with a little block filelr in there? Think he used o-ringed heads to but i cant be sure of that.......
Your right
Old 10-08-2010, 11:20 AM
TECH Regular

So its not stock then lol..
Old 10-08-2010, 03:03 PM
TECH Addict

I've been a fan of ERL for quite a while now, would love to eventually get one of their engines. The cool part about them is regardless of your starting point (LS1, 2, 3, 6,7, 5.3) they will still take your core and sell you the block of your choice. Keep us posted on your choice, installation, and results. If it isn't too much to ask, please post a link in here if you decide to cover your build in a new thread.
Old 03-20-2011, 08:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by speedracer5532
If I would start over I would stay aluminum...the aluminum blocks can handle a lot of power. The LSX block is a good block but it is just too heavy.
What's the most LS1 block can handle, without expensive extra work, what would you say? Also, how to solve heads lifting/flexing problems?
Old 03-20-2011, 09:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Double-L
intresting thoughts, was curious to how those "gussets" that get welded in the erl block hold up. stress fractures. heat cycles. fatigue. so far everyone is leaning toward the alloy block. im curious as to what some cons are for the lsx block?
I've have ERL block engines in Off Road cars that have been running since 2005 that have never been torn down... Just spark plugs and oil changes. That should pretty much ease you mind about those welds. And I've tortured my personal block beyond what anyone would consider normal and its never let me down. Using ERL blocks have allowed me to give a one YEAR no questions asked warranty on off road racing engines... No many folks would do that if they didn't trust the product.
Old 03-21-2011, 08:54 AM
7 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

We've made well over 1100rwhp with a factory LS2 block and a quality set of 4 bolt heads. I would use a good LS2 block and a set of Mast heads. It will giive you many years of good performance. Make sure you choose a quality shop to build it.
Old 03-21-2011, 12:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Phil99vette
We've made well over 1100rwhp with a factory LS2 block and a quality set of 4 bolt heads. I would use a good LS2 block and a set of Mast heads. It will giive you many years of good performance. Make sure you choose a quality shop to build it.
That's all fine and wonderful but the OP stated he wants something that will last many years to come with little issues to worry about. This 1100hp STOCK ls2 block with 4 bolt heads will def need to be torn down and inspected after each time out and its def not going to carry longevity of an lsx or erl block without having to swap in new stuff here and there IMO.
Not saying that it wouldn't be a viable option at all, especially if a high quality shop like AES, Vagina..i mean Virginia speed, ERL, etc and for the most part, it would def be the most cost efficient, yet reliable for what the op wants. He did state however tho that money doesn't matter and he wants longevity(if there ever is such a thing in racing... ) to be a big factor in the build. Plus we all know that speed is addicting and the 850hp mark is going to slowly end up at 1000, then 1100, etc so having that extra cushion is always nice instead of being on the edge from the start.
OP, Let us know what you go with, good luck with the build.
Old 03-21-2011, 12:16 PM
7 Second Club

Originally Posted by Fb0dy0nly
That's all fine and wonderful but the OP stated he wants something that will last many years to come with little issues to worry about. This 1100hp STOCK ls2 block with 4 bolt heads will def need to be torn down and inspected after each time out and its def not going to carry longevity of an lsx or erl block without having to swap in new stuff here and there IMO.
Not saying that it wouldn't be a viable option at all, especially if a high quality shop like AES, Vagina..i mean Virginia speed, ERL, etc and for the most part, it would def be the most cost efficient, yet reliable for what the op wants. He did state however tho that money doesn't matter and he wants longevity(if there ever is such a thing in racing... ) to be a big factor in the build. Plus we all know that speed is addicting and the 850hp mark is going to slowly end up at 1000, then 1100, etc so having that extra cushion is always nice instead of being on the edge from the start.
OP, Let us know what you go with, good luck with the build.
Do you have any real world experience or are you basing your opinions off of the results you read on the internet? You are 100% full of **** stating that a 4 bolt setup will need to be inspected/torn down every time out. Its more about the quality of spending vs the quantity. Spend in the right areas and you'll have a very nice motor that will last for a long time. Shawn can build a LS2 block with the correct internals that will make 1100hp at the flywheel and it will have zero issues lasting or any issues with the cylinder heads sealing. You get what you pay for.....
Old 03-21-2011, 08:19 PM
7 Second Club

I made 1400+ for a whole season with an stock LS2 built by Kurt Urban-W2W, went 8.0's at 17x toward the end of the season. Only changed the MLS gaskets (no 0-rings) mid season. Pushed some water once above 22-23 psi but not a huge deal. But with that said there are tons of great options to "shore-up" the build, ERL is the best light weight option on the market. The other big factor is the builder/tuner...but that might be just too obvious.

So I half to agree with Phil the Astronaut....when you gettin the Space Shuttle out anyway?

Mark
Old 03-21-2011, 10:18 PM
7 Second Club

Originally Posted by BlwnTA
I made 1400+ for a whole season with an stock LS2 built by Kurt Urban-W2W, went 8.0's at 17x toward the end of the season. Only changed the MLS gaskets (no 0-rings) mid season. Pushed some water once above 22-23 psi but not a huge deal. But with that said there are tons of great options to "shore-up" the build, ERL is the best light weight option on the market. The other big factor is the builder/tuner...but that might be just too obvious.

So I half to agree with Phil the Astronaut....when you gettin the Space Shuttle out anyway?

Mark
Soon, very soon..... Its ready to get put in the beams with the new fire breather.

Quick Reply: LSX block or ERL ??? opinons welcome