Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Turbocharger in the Valley of the engine?

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2010, 02:58 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Its not worth it after you need to get custom made heads. You could spend the money on a motor, or anything else. Theres literally no reason for this. Yes thermodynamics wise it would spool a little faster but because the turbo is so close it would also cause alot of heat soak, thus giving you diminishing returns power wise. The EGT that comes out of the heads is not that much greater than that of the EGT's a foot downstream. Also you would have abrupt curves in the manifolds that would lead to the turbo, which would cause turbulence and create more backpressure.

Logisitically, this is a cluster ****.
Old 10-14-2010, 02:59 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by TrippyJoey
You do realize that by placing a turbocharger on the valley, hence right on top of the intake manifold on an LS engine you are placing a part that reaches temperatures of over 800*F next to your intake charge (which would mean any intercooler use would be pretty much pointless since the cold charge would just be heated above ambient air once again), and if you use a composite manifold instead of a cast iron/aluminum you will end up probably melting it too.
There would actually be 2 intake manifolds, on the outside of the motor not on the inside like youre thinking.
Old 10-14-2010, 03:44 PM
Teching In

You do realize that by placing a turbocharger on the valley, hence right on top of the intake manifold on an LS engine you are placing a part that reaches temperatures of over 800*F next to your intake charge (which would mean any intercooler use would be pretty much pointless since the cold charge would just be heated above ambient air once again), and if you use a composite manifold instead of a cast iron/aluminum you will end up probably melting it too.
I don't think you're understanding what I'm talking about, I'm talking about reversing the flow of the headers so that the the exhaust port is where the intake side is and the intake side is where the exhaust is.

Take a look at this link, this guy is building a wooden super car and has taken a north star v8 and reversed the cylinder head flow. Yes I know they're not the same engine, but the concept.

http://www.joeharmondesign.com/specifications.html
Old 10-14-2010, 03:50 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by XtremeDime
Its not worth it after you need to get custom made heads. You could spend the money on a motor, or anything else. Theres literally no reason for this. Yes thermodynamics wise it would spool a little faster but because the turbo is so close it would also cause a lot of heat soak, thus giving you diminishing returns power wise. The EGT that comes out of the heads is not that much greater than that of the EGT's a foot downstream. Also you would have abrupt curves in the manifolds that would lead to the turbo, which would cause turbulence and create more back pressure.

Logisitically, this is a cluster ****.
Yeah this would be an engineering nightmare but like I said before I was just asking if anyone has done this before lol. Money wise you're absolutely right this would be expensive compared to using other set ups but hey if you have the money and the know how why not lol.
Old 10-14-2010, 03:54 PM
Launching!

Easier when you don't have pushrods, FAIL
Old 10-14-2010, 04:05 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Santorican
God that is retarded but cool at the same time.
Old 10-14-2010, 04:29 PM
Gingervitis Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Guys, if you can fabricate your own turbo kit, this would be EASY. Get a cam ground with the intake/exhaust lobes switched. Get some flanges, make your own intake/exhaust manifold. It will take some time, but it can be done.

IMO its not worth it since our intake ports flow much better than the exhaust ports, Tommy Ivo did it because it was nearly the opposite (and it was the 60's)
Attached Thumbnails Turbocharger in the Valley of the engine?-p135215_large-buick_nailhead_powered_dragster-passenger_side.jpg  
Old 10-14-2010, 04:46 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What about valve problems? The last time I looked at an lax head (about 5 seconds ago) the combustion chamber is not in the middle of the head. It is toward the exhaust side more.
Old 10-14-2010, 09:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

no, the intake charges would be moved to the outside of the heads. much like the new gm duramax. this would allow you to have a much greater runner cc, not having to worry about pushrods, offset lifters ect. is it worth it?? no. but its not a completely dumb idea. gm is doing it on upcoming vehicles
Old 10-15-2010, 01:52 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Santorican

Why is there no way to justify this? I already gave you two reasons why, this is exactly why most car companies will not build a turbocharged V8 is because of packaging issues. Performance wise if you look at thermodynamics it says the hotter the air flow the faster it will move, so by putting the turbo charger as close to the exhaust port you will keep as much heat in the flow as possible while keeping the velocity as high as possible, meaning you will reach full boost sooner.

the reason there is no way to justify this IMO, is that what you will be able to start with is a block, crank and rods. Pistons and heads would be best custom cast for this application, and in order to really benefit from this, it would take a lot of R&D money, far more than it would be worth for the end result to get the heads correct. And if you dont spend every penny it takes to get the heads as good or better than any factory casting, then that right there negates the whole point of this, better power. Lets call custom heads and pistons $20,000 once castings and metalurgy is right for the heads. Not unreasonable ( and not considering valvetrain parts ) . Next, after spending all that money on getting heads to actually flow properly, you can start custom cutting cams until you get it right, so seeing what ALL the vendors on here spend on R&D for cams for existing heads that have been on the market for years, lets just say you ONLY spend another $10,000 cutting a cam to get your custom heads to make power like they should on the dyno ( to there full potential ) . Again, unless you own a dyno and cut your own cams, this isnt unrealistic. Now, $30,000 so far, I dont think is anywhere near unreasonable. I can imagine the vendors making there own heads off of existing designs have spent this kind of money and better between casting, flow testing, dyno time etc. so this is a low estimate. so now we look at your custom exhaust, intake, turbo parts, acc. for the front of the motor since there now is a turbo in front, I bet every vendor on here can build you a turbo set up that retains all accessories and factory functions, and burns the tires off from a tap of the throttle, for less than what we are already talking about. And I bet you they can package it into any vehicle you can set a LSx into. Now I know that I could spend far more on a turbo set up from any vendor as well, but to be realistic, lets say we both drop of a TBSS at the same Vendor to have a turbo set up built. I give them $50,000 to build me a turbo set up for a conventional LSx, and you give them $50,000 to build your new style LSx turbo motor. Who do you think is going faster? I can imagine youre thinking, well what if cost wasnt prohibitive? Well, then say the budget was endless, I could still get any vendor to build a turbo set up to fit whatever vehicle I wanted that could make enough power to launch like the space shuttle. I see where you are going with the idea and design, but its just not a worth while venture $/HP wise. GM might be using that architecture in future motors, but they will spend a lot more money on it than it would take to make any existing LSx vehicle an extremely efficiant turbo set up than more than boils the tires off idle.
Old 10-15-2010, 04:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Old 10-15-2010, 10:27 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by slow67
Guys, if you can fabricate your own turbo kit, this would be EASY. Get a cam ground with the intake/exhaust lobes switched. Get some flanges, make your own intake/exhaust manifold. It will take some time, but it can be done.

IMO its not worth it since our intake ports flow much better than the exhaust ports, Tommy Ivo did it because it was nearly the opposite (and it was the 60's)
Wow that is pretty sick!
Old 10-15-2010, 10:52 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by dimetweaker
you could just leave the heads the way they are and have a new cam cut that would accomplish this. But the valve and port sizing would be all screwed up. If you could find a cast iron manifold for the LS you could weld a turbo flange on the top and slap a turbo on there. Then build a set of headers to work like an intake, and then take the old headers and smack yourself across the face.
lol...laughed so hard i knocked my laptop on the floor
Old 10-16-2010, 02:34 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by yessir
lol...laughed so hard i knocked my laptop on the floor
Im glad someone was able to appreciate that

Quick Reply: Turbocharger in the Valley of the engine?