Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Turbocharger in the Valley of the engine?

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2010, 10:19 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbocharger in the Valley of the engine?

Has anyone ever seen or placed the turbocharger in the valley of the engine rather than hanging off the sides, i.e. switching the heads to have the exhaust point toward the valley and then have a single turbocharger mounted between them?

I understand it'd be a lot of work, i.e. casting the new manifold, doing all of the timing which I'm sure would be a nightmare lol.

A similar car that recently employs this is the BMW X6 and much much older was the Oldsmobile JetFire.

So anyone ever see this on an LSx engine?
Old 10-13-2010, 10:45 PM
TECH Resident

What?
Old 10-13-2010, 11:02 PM
Staging Lane

Could be done, but it would require a redesign of almost everything, plus you would need to build either a custom set of heads or a custom block because the head bolts/pushrods won't line up.

What will you gain for all this work? It'd be a little easier to package and the turbo would spool faster(likely by an imperceptible amount). Not worth it unless you were going to completely redesign everything on the engine, in which case it's not really an lsx anymore
Old 10-13-2010, 11:47 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old 10-14-2010, 12:14 AM
TECH Addict

...what??
Old 10-14-2010, 12:14 AM
TECH Apprentice

the new 6.7 diesel from ford is like what you are talking. exhaust ports facing inward vs. your traditional outwards. read up !
Old 10-14-2010, 02:19 AM
12 Second Club

Why is a better question.
Old 10-14-2010, 02:26 AM
TECH Apprentice

yer, the caterpillar diesel engines have that...
Old 10-14-2010, 02:46 AM
On The Tree

The new 4.5 liter turbo diesel GM engines are designed this way, don't know if this light duty truck engine will ever make it out though.
This design def helps in the engine packaging department and prob help spool a bit.
Never heard of this on an LS design before.
Old 10-14-2010, 02:54 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Santorican
Has anyone ever seen or placed the turbocharger in the valley of the engine rather than hanging off the sides, i.e. switching the heads to have the exhaust point toward the valley and then have a single turbocharger mounted between them?
You can't bolt heads like that it just won't fit right.
Old 10-14-2010, 04:24 AM
TECH Regular

you could just leave the heads the way they are and have a new cam cut that would accomplish this. But the valve and port sizing would be all screwed up. If you could find a cast iron manifold for the LS you could weld a turbo flange on the top and slap a turbo on there. Then build a set of headers to work like an intake, and then take the old headers and smack yourself across the face.
Old 10-14-2010, 06:07 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by 396375
This
Old 10-14-2010, 08:39 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by NBM-LS1
What?
Originally Posted by XtremeDime
...what??
This is what I'm talking about except instead of two turbos only using one.

Originally Posted by 396375
Did you do something like that already? Looking at the picture in your signature it looks like you have that set up?

Originally Posted by Sluggish
Why is a better question.
Why? There is are two reasons why that I can come up with off the top of my head, you will have a smaller packaging set up so if you have a small engine bay this would be ideal for you, and secondly having the turbo between the valley allows you to keep the turbocharger much closer to the exhaust ports of the engine thus keeping more heat in the air stream there for keeping a higher velocity of the flow, meaning you can have the turbo spool up faster.

Originally Posted by rosey
Could be done, but it would require a redesign of almost everything, plus you would need to build either a custom set of heads or a custom block because the head bolts/pushrods won't line up.

What will you gain for all this work? It'd be a little easier to package and the turbo would spool faster(likely by an imperceptible amount). Not worth it unless you were going to completely redesign everything on the engine, in which case it's not really an lsx anymore
Well you pretty much surmised why anyone would want to do this, and I figured it'd be a lot of word but it'd be unique and probably better for something like a Corvette to use than a remote turbo set up. Although they'd probably have to get a hood with a bulge in it for this to fit.

I'd argue that having the turbocharger that close to the exhaust ports and having both set of exhaust ports feeding into that turbo would cause it to spool a perceptible amount faster, with single turbo set ups you will have some heat lose from one set of ports feeding into the turbo, how much i have no clue lol.
Old 10-14-2010, 08:40 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by THENASCAR
the new 6.7 diesel from ford is like what you are talking. exhaust ports facing inward vs. your traditional outwards. read up !
Yep that is exactly what I'm talking about
Old 10-14-2010, 09:13 AM
Gingervitis Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Tommy Ivo did this in the 60's (but with a blower) on a buick nailhead. Just cut the cam with the intake/exhaust lobes switched!
Old 10-14-2010, 09:57 AM
Launching!

And the downpipe will go where??

Smart idea we have here!
Old 10-14-2010, 10:21 AM
TECH Regular

I hope that this would be purely for show, because it has failure written all over it. There is no way to justify this at all, from a performance or packaging stand point. You couldnt do it in a vette or a camaro without some hood issues, in a truck, maybe, but its useless. There are easier, better ways to make power with turbos, blowers, turbos and blowers, etc. So whats the reasoning behind it? Just because BMW did it? Youre talking about a motor than has nothing in common with anything LSx on the market right now. You would be better off swapping the BMW motor if thats what youre looking for.
Old 10-14-2010, 02:24 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by wilson34
And the downpipe will go where??

Smart idea we have here!
In comparison to the whole idea and the amount of work that would need to go into this, knowing where to put the down pipe is trivial.

Originally Posted by dimetweaker
I hope that this would be purely for show, because it has failure written all over it. There is no way to justify this at all, from a performance or packaging stand point.
Why is there no way to justify this? I already gave you two reasons why, this is exactly why most car companies will not build a turbocharged V8 is because of packaging issues. Performance wise if you look at thermodynamics it says the hotter the air flow the faster it will move, so by putting the turbo charger as close to the exhaust port you will keep as much heat in the flow as possible while keeping the velocity as high as possible, meaning you will reach full boost sooner.

You couldnt do it in a vette or a camaro without some hood issues, in a truck, maybe, but its useless.
Not to be rude but if you read what I said earlier I did mention that there will be hood clearance issues.

There are easier, better ways to make power with turbos, blowers, turbos and blowers, etc. So whats the reasoning behind it?
Easier, definitely, better is relative. Just because something is easier to do doesn't mean its always better. This set up would be more efficient than hanging to turbochargers off of each cylinder bank. It'd take up a lot less space than two turbochargers and you wouldn't need nearly as much plumbing for this set up.

Just because BMW did it? Youre talking about a motor than has nothing in common with anything LSx on the market right now. You would be better off swapping the BMW motor if thats what youre looking for.
BMW's S63 was just an example, again had you read what I wrote earlier I did give other examples of other companies who have done this before. I understand that they're not the same engine, I am not saying or implying that they are, what I am saying is to take the basic concept i.e. reversing the flow of the headers and placing a turbocharger in the valley of the engine and apply it this engine.

I'd rather use the LS engine as a base for this simply because in my opinion it is a better foundation, is easier to modify, has a huge aftermarket support, and can be had for a lot cheaper.
Old 10-14-2010, 02:46 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Santorican
Why is there no way to justify this? I already gave you two reasons why, this is exactly why most car companies will not build a turbocharged V8 is because of packaging issues. Performance wise if you look at thermodynamics it says the hotter the air flow the faster it will move, so by putting the turbo charger as close to the exhaust port you will keep as much heat in the flow as possible while keeping the velocity as high as possible, meaning you will reach full boost sooner.
and can be had for a lot cheaper.
You do realize that by placing a turbocharger on the valley, hence right on top of the intake manifold on an LS engine you are placing a part that reaches temperatures of over 800*F next to your intake charge (which would mean any intercooler use would be pretty much pointless since the cold charge would just be heated above ambient air once again), and if you use a composite manifold instead of a cast iron/aluminum you will end up probably melting it too.
Old 10-14-2010, 02:58 PM
12 Second Club

I say why because there are already plenty of kits that work great for the car. The very minor benefits are not worth the trouble by a long shot or the insane amount of money it would cost to design new heads. This is like reinventing the wheel on these cars and engines, now if GM is building a new gas engine design around this idea then it would be ok.

Quick Reply: Turbocharger in the Valley of the engine?