Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Too much for stock bottom end?

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2010, 09:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Too much for stock bottom end?

I am working on getting a Procharger, goal is a D1SC @ 8lbs. I cant get out of my mind doing a heads/cam set up to experience that power level before I jump all in on the supercharger? I have been told that good heads and a D1SC would be to much power for my stock bottom end. If I do go with heads I dont want it to rule out a supercharger in the future and I dont have any plans what so ever to forge the bottom end on this car. Let me know what you guys think?
Old 10-31-2010, 09:52 PM
TECH Apprentice

look above at the stickys
Old 10-31-2010, 10:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Put the supercharger on your engine with stock heads and stock cam, it will run great. 8psi is nothing, it wont hurt your engine unless your tune is totally messed up.
Old 10-31-2010, 10:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I have read a lot of those sticky's great help but I couldnt really find any thing about the reliablity of the stock bottom end after with boost and good flowing heads. I read the sticky about reliability but that is basically a thread with regards to boost only and how long has it lasted at that level and did it break.

I will re-read them to see if I can find the info I am talking about. If anyone else cares to give me any information please chime in.

I want to join the FI club, I just want to make sure I dont screw that up by buying heads. Thanks guys.
Old 10-31-2010, 10:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

You can make more power with just a blower than the stock bottom end can handle, so why bother with the expense of heads or cam?
Old 11-01-2010, 08:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Hank Peabody
You can make more power with just a blower than the stock bottom end can handle, so why bother with the expense of heads or cam?
Good point. I just need to run the numbers as far as cost, which is really the reason for this topic. I want to add some hp over the winter, so if the budget dictates heads/cam I just didn't want to back myself in a corner and not be able to do the FI set up in the future without forging the bottom end.

Who am I kidding it is never enough it will probably be forged eventually anyway.

Back on topic, let me know what you think guys....good flowing heads plus boost (8psi) too much for a stock bottom end?
Old 11-01-2010, 08:51 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a buddy that has a stock bottom end 317 truck heads, EPP/brute speed blower cam, D1@ 10psi, and an alky control Meth kit has been making 630rwhp all season and just took the car to the track for the first time last week and went 11.3@132mph spinning.

With FI a really good head is not as important. lowering your compression with a 317 head and running Meth and a good safe tune 8-10 psi is no problem
Old 11-01-2010, 08:58 PM
Staging Lane

I agree, except are you sure 8psi is ok? Ive heard 5-6 psi MAX.... I am curious as well
Old 11-01-2010, 09:03 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i sold my stock bottom end heads and cam setup to do a stock 317 head and ls6 cam with the turbo. been running 11#'s for about 7 months at a rough guess of +/- 570 rwhp
Old 11-01-2010, 09:06 PM
Staging Lane

That TA front looks sick in your sig man..

What kit are you running?
Old 11-01-2010, 09:08 PM
Staging Lane

maybe one day, Ill have that set up... damn its sexy
Old 11-01-2010, 09:16 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Originally Posted by 02SOMLS1WS6
I have read a lot of those sticky's great help but I couldnt really find any thing about the reliablity of the stock bottom end after with boost and good flowing heads. I read the sticky about reliability but that is basically a thread with regards to boost only and how long has it lasted at that level and did it break.

I will re-read them to see if I can find the info I am talking about. If anyone else cares to give me any information please chime in.

I want to join the FI club, I just want to make sure I dont screw that up by buying heads. Thanks guys.
From all that I have seen over the years it seems as a general rule that you can run 8 psi with a good flowing set of heads, or 8 psi with a good cam, but 8 psi with the good heads and a good cam will often knock out a piston. Sure there are people who get away with it, but it seems to make reliability very questionable. Bob

PM's disabled, please e-mail me
E-mail: brutespeed@gmail.comob@brutespeed.com

https://brutespeed.com/ Link to website

Old 11-01-2010, 09:31 PM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have over 100K miles on my LS1. I am pushing 8# of boost and I have Trick Flow cylinder heads and it makes 486 rwhp with a good tune from Race Proven Motorsports. When I first put the blower on, I made around 420 rwhp on a completely stock LS1. After a couple of months my lifters took a crap so I pulled the heads and found out that they were shot as well. The valves were mushroomed real bad. The Trick Flow heads gained my over 60 rwhp!! Now I am not saying that you should buy a good set of heads, I am just stating my findings.

When going forced induction, don't ever, ever think that you are gonna mod it and be done with it! The stock bottom end will usually holds the boost for a good long time, but eventually it will get worn enough that you will need to build it and thats when you forge it. Plus its VERY, VERY ADDICTIVE!

Your gonna have to upgrade the valve springs too. At least COMP 918 beehives which worked very well for me.

If I was to do it again, I would have forged the bottom end at the same time I slapped on the blower.... but thats just me.
Old 11-01-2010, 11:59 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm in the same boat you are in and know what you are going through. I have a d1sc on my stock bottom end ls1. I don't have heads or a cam. The heads do have 1.8 roller rockers with stock valve springs. Got it on the dyno to find that out when it cut out at 5500 rpm. Made 440 hp so now i have to do valve springs and should be around 470 to 480 hp. I'm going to put patriot gold valve spring kit. I am running about 8lbs through my blower. My car only had 20k miles on it so i didn't think the stock springs would be bad but with a blower it's a must. I would love to put a cam in my car this winter and go speed density because i've had some issues with the maf reading off at idle from not bypassing enough air. I'm afraid of putting the cam in with the blower because i don't want to blow the motor without the forged bottom end. The cranks are good from what i'm told but the rods and pistons are a weak point. If i was rich I would do forged rods and pistons with a little lower compression and up the boost to about 11lbs. I don't want to go crazy boost because I don't want the intake temps to get too high and i don't want to run meth. Then I would get some AFR heads and a blower cam. But my car is just a street car with only a few runs at the track because i'm not putting a cage in my car. My car already has a great suspension set up and a 12 bolt moser rear end. Just my two sense. You'll want to go to 42lb to 60lb fuel injectors and a racetronics intake fuel pump with hotwire. I also have a front mount intercooler.

Quick Reply: Too much for stock bottom end?