Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

what size wastegate do I need?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2011, 10:11 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thats a great pic. I will alway think of that pic when someone talks about a bad setup. LOL
Old 01-29-2011, 10:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Phil99vette
It all depends on what your definition of "controlling boost" is and how low you want to be able to turn the boost down. Do any of those 10 effectively controlled boost setups have a spike in the boost at peak boost?
Ugh. I hate these internet arguements. Phil, I know you know your ****. You've proven that to me on this site. Just getting that out of the way right now.

This 'Tial' guy however has not proven dick to me, and it really irks me when people just assume that he knows what he's talking about because his screen name is 'Tial'. I deal with people with his attitude on a daily basis. They're called engineers. Only these are the engineers who sit in front of a computer and come up with models and crunch numbers, then say definitive things like "negative" when answering questions, when they have no "real world" experience.

I've worked as an engineer for the past 8+ years. I have no degree and run into people like this all the time. Hence why I'm now finally back at school and half way through my bachelors.

What most "engineers" don't realize is that models and calculations don't always transfer 100% into the real world. Tial guy has said flat out that a wastegate (doesn't specify size) will most definitely not work when plumbed at a 90* angle. Well my personal car has a 46mm Precision mounted at a 90* angle and it most definitely does work controlling boost levels in the single digits. When I first replied, I even agreed with the guy, stating that while 90* is not optimal, in many cases it will work effectively. I never said "Hey this Tial guy is full of ****, mount it however you want and it will control boost down to .01 psi". He's the one who gave a definitive no.

I did a quick search, here's a few setups where the wastegate is mounted at 90* and still controls boost into the single digits.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-in...ts-pics-8.html 90* at the merge, running 9 psi (See post on 10-23-10 for his 9psi comment)

https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-in...kit-gto-2.html Twins @90* @ 9psi. Yea twins but he states it will NOT work at 90*

Plus my own car, and if you do a quick search, many more as well. As well as most STS cars out there that have the wastegate at almost a 90* angle and control boost down to ~6psi.

And no my car did not peak and drop off or anything when on low boost.

Anyways, my whole point is exactly as I said originally. While a 90* angle is not ideal, in most cases it will still control boost effectively. I just hate it when people chime in and say something as definitive as "negative" when they clearly have no idea, even if they happen to work for a respected company and show a couple computer generated models.
Old 01-29-2011, 11:23 PM
7 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I guess my issue is if your going to put the time and effort in in fabricating a turbo system, take the time and do it the best way possible instead of IMO half assing it. Sure a wastegate mounted 90 degrees to the hot pipe might work, it just doesn't work as well and efficiently as mounting the valve face toward incoming airflow. I've worked with way too many guys around the country and documented how 90 degree mounted wastegates dont work correctly.

Is the boost lazy when the setup nears peak boost?
Does the boost overrun the preset boost level?

Most of the 90 degree setups have these 2 problems among others that are because of how the wastegates are plumbed or mounted.
Old 01-29-2011, 11:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

I understand what you're saying. But sometimes people aren't going all out for the absolute best setup. If you only have a goal of XXX and a certain setup gets you that, then what's the problem. Sometimes space constraints and the unwillingness to let go of certain creature comforts doesn't allow for mounting everything in the "idea" location. For me, if I was willing to remove my AC compressor I'd have much more room and could mount the wg differently. I wasn't willing to settle for that trade off.

As far as the boost being lazy near peak boost, I'm not sure what you mean. If you could elaborate more I could try to give you my input on my setup.

As far as over running the set boost, no I've never had that problem with this setup. No matter the boost level that I've ran, it's always hit it and settled within a couple kpa. Not enough to notice on the mechanical boost gage.

Some of this "debate" will come down to one's definition of "effectively" and "efficiently". But still the fact remains that the wg will still usually function when mounted 90*. And if that's the only choice you have, then you can get away with it.
Old 02-08-2011, 04:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by tial
this is not
oh my holy *****!
Old 02-08-2011, 04:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by HydroStream6
I understand what you're saying. But sometimes people aren't going all out for the absolute best setup. If you only have a goal of XXX and a certain setup gets you that, then what's the problem.
IMO, if you're doing something, you should do it right. why half *** it? you have an entire engine bay, you can mount the turbo/merge/wastegate anywhere, even outside the engine bay.
Old 02-08-2011, 06:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by HydroStream6
I understand what you're saying. But sometimes people aren't going all out for the absolute best setup. If you only have a goal of XXX and a certain setup gets you that, then what's the problem. Sometimes space constraints and the unwillingness to let go of certain creature comforts doesn't allow for mounting everything in the "idea" location. For me, if I was willing to remove my AC compressor I'd have much more room and could mount the wg differently. I wasn't willing to settle for that trade off.
I quoted the rest so you can read it again.

Originally Posted by kmracer
IMO, if you're doing something, you should do it right. why half *** it? you have an entire engine bay, you can mount the turbo/merge/wastegate anywhere, even outside the engine bay.
Have you looked under the hood of every single person's setup? In most newer vehicles, there is not a lot of room. You want people to mount the turbo and wastegate outside of the engine bay? That doesn't even make sense.

I don't see how mounting a wastegate at 90* constitutes "half assing" a setup. Especially when it works.
Old 02-08-2011, 06:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

if people can figure out a way to fit two t6 turbos, two 60mm waste gates (positioned properly), and two four inch downpipes INSIDE the engine bay of an fbody, trust me. you can figure it out.

and you're telling me you've never seen a turbo outside the engine compartment? either half or all the way? my turbine, merge, and WG are on the outside of my frame rail.
Old 02-08-2011, 07:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by kmracer
if people can figure out a way to fit two t6 turbos, two 60mm waste gates (positioned properly), and two four inch downpipes INSIDE the engine bay of an fbody, trust me. you can figure it out.
While keeping AC, power steering, windshield washer bottle, ABS, and all other factory options?

Like I first said, sacrifices ALWAYS have to be made. If you're not willing to sacrifice AC, PS, etc, then you have the room and can mount everything in its "ideal" location.

If you're not willing to give up those luxuries, then you have to do what works.

People will do what they want. I'm fine with that. I did what I wanted and it works fine for me.
Old 01-06-2012, 04:58 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by TiAL
this is not
hahahahah! nice welds.
Old 01-11-2012, 08:29 PM
TECH Regular

that should work, just transition the right side in so it isn't a 90.

here are some great examples:

What I have to say is the second pic is compound setup turbo into supercharger. I would SOOOO like to drive that and boost has to be Way high.
Old 01-11-2012, 08:33 PM
TECH Regular

this is not
And This is the funniest turbo **** I've EVER seen. Better than homemade hillbilly variable geometry turbos.

No matter what is said past this point isn't going to matter because everyone is going to be to busy laughing to care.
Old 01-11-2012, 09:42 PM
TECH Apprentice

^^ Is that piping held together with bubblegum??
Old 06-26-2012, 02:15 PM
TECH Addict

Received 108 Likes on 91 Posts

this is not
Oh my god!! who the hell let that guy weld?!
Old 06-26-2012, 02:50 PM
8 Second Club

I think it was Ray Charles
Old 06-26-2012, 02:58 PM
TECH Addict

Received 108 Likes on 91 Posts

my welding instructor would gouge his eyes out if he saw this! lol
Old 06-26-2012, 07:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

My nephew built a table frame from scrap angle. this is in high school welding/metal shop.
He used a stick rod and even then his welds look 100 times better.
Old 06-27-2012, 03:28 AM

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

this is how we did my friends truck it 90s and hits the turbo but nails the WG head on

wastegate priority

Old 06-29-2012, 10:55 AM
Teching In

Having good wastegate flow priority is "ideal".
Is it a must? No.

What you will find is that many times, less than ideal wastegate mounting requires larger wastegates to be used to achieve the same results that you could have achieved with a smaller gate with good flow priority.
Old 06-29-2012, 12:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Marty Staggs
Having good wastegate flow priority is "ideal".
Is it a must? No.

What you will find is that many times, less than ideal wastegate mounting requires larger wastegates to be used to achieve the same results that you could have achieved with a smaller gate with good flow priority.
I agree with Marty... Here is a clip from the instructions from my Turbosmart 50mm gate

And my WG is at a 90* and I know that its not ideal, but it works and controls boost very well. Marty actually helped me set up my Eboost2 on the dyno, look how flat we got each boost curve:

now i fully agree that if you were building a full on race car, then you should have the means to make a proper WG angle. But for us street f-body guys without a lot of room, you can get by with a 90 and make it work. My 50 was great when running 8psi, all the way up to now 17psi

Quick Reply: what size wastegate do I need?