Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

LQ4 forged pistons, stock rods?

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2010, 01:05 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LQ4 forged pistons, stock rods?

Hey guys, im new here and would like some opinions on my idea

Im in the process of doing a budget turbo LQ4 build for my swap in my 00 Firebird. I am looking for 500-600hp daily and 700ish if i turn it up occasionally. We got the motor all torn apart and im not sure all what i want/need to replace. I was recently thinking of getting the forged dished diamond pistons and use stock rods with arp rod bolts. With the 317s, compression should be about 8.9 and i was planning on running head studs.

So im wondering how much boost the stock rods can generally take as long as i keep the rpm under 6k. I bet 20# would be pushing it, right? Ive seen a lot of stock motors on here take 12-15#, so i would think it would do alright with 20# with the rod bolts and lower compression forged pistons.

I also need to convert everything to put it into a v6 firebird, but thats a whole other topic...
Old 11-13-2010, 06:17 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Rods dont cost as much as pistons, so if your doing pistons maybe go ahead and do rods too? Then you can go berserk and do almost anything you want boost wise! Sorry, Im not sure how strong the stock rods are, but I'd bet you could run 700whp through them unless you just got unlucky, my LQ4 car only dynoed 520whp.
Old 11-13-2010, 07:42 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by chimchim_07
Hey guys, im new here and would like some opinions on my idea

Im in the process of doing a budget turbo LQ4 build for my swap in my 00 Firebird. I am looking for 500-600hp daily and 700ish if i turn it up occasionally. We got the motor all torn apart and im not sure all what i want/need to replace. I was recently thinking of getting the forged dished diamond pistons and use stock rods with arp rod bolts. With the 317s, compression should be about 8.9 and i was planning on running head studs.

So im wondering how much boost the stock rods can generally take as long as i keep the rpm under 6k. I bet 20# would be pushing it, right? Ive seen a lot of stock motors on here take 12-15#, so i would think it would do alright with 20# with the rod bolts and lower compression forged pistons.

I also need to convert everything to put it into a v6 firebird, but thats a whole other topic...
why would you want to take that chance? if you are taking this thing apart for enother $385 you can replace you rods
CNC Motorsports has them on sale H or I Beam (scat)
Old 11-13-2010, 11:27 AM
Teching In

Yeah, good points. And if I do put rods in it, I can then get a turbo cam for it someday and not have any worries on the bottom end
Old 11-13-2010, 11:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a feeling that if you go through all the work of rebuilding the engine and dont spend a few hundred extra to get better rods you are going to kick yourself later when you want to start cranking up the boost. I say get forged rods, it will be worth the peace of mind and added reliability.
Old 11-13-2010, 06:36 PM
Launching!

Everything they said

Quick Reply: LQ4 forged pistons, stock rods?