Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Welding V Bands To Truck Manifolds?

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2015, 03:12 PM
9 Second Club

Received 179 Likes on 154 Posts

I'm a really bad welded and I managed to get a pretty successful weld on mine. I welded with 309 rods and to Sch10 type tubing

I wouldnt say I preheated, but did heat them up a little with a heat gun. Certainly not anything super warm by any means, and did leave this on for a while after welding.

I also seen some guys say to lightly tap the welds with a hammer to peen them as they cool....no idea if it does anything or not but I did that too.

As with Blake, I did try to go as slow as I could, welding bits at a time to try and sink as much heat as possible into it all, as slowly as possible

2 full years on and they're still working great.
Old 12-21-2015, 05:01 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

309 is the way to go.

I welded 2 sets up last weekend. One I pre heated to around 350 and welded with 1/16th 309 about 2 inches at a time all the way around. The other set I used exactly the same technique filler and amps but with no pre heat. Both came out identical.
Old 12-21-2015, 05:17 PM
8 Second Club

Received 677 Likes on 500 Posts

Originally Posted by LS1-IROC
Bringing this back up. I tried welding up a set of 01 5.3 manifolds yesterday and it was crack crazy. I was using 160 amps 3/32 tungsten and ER70 filler. After all the cracking, I switched to 308 filler and that was a lot better, but still I ended up chasing cracks all over. Maybe I didn't pre-heat enough, but I used a MAP gas torch for about 5 minutes before welding, no post heat because the cracks would all show up before I was even done welding. The 2 pieces I was welding together were both the same material (I just cut and re positioned the manifold outlet). Both pieces were freshly grit blasted to a bare clean surface so there was no contamination likely. What gives? Could there be casting material differences in these manifolds?

That's weird I've never seen one crack. I've welded about 6 sets of these cast manifolds now. All with a basic 120v (140a) mild steel mig welder 75/25 gas. SS or mild v-band's. Never pre/post heated. I do pean the welds with a hammer after welding and only do about 1 inch at a time. (mainly because it pops my breaker if I do more )
Old 12-21-2015, 11:43 PM
TECH Addict

Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

Bringing this back up. I tried welding up a set of 01 5.3 manifolds yesterday and it was crack crazy. I was using 160 amps 3/32 tungsten and ER70 filler. After all the cracking, I switched to 308 filler and that was a lot better, but still I ended up chasing cracks all over. Maybe I didn't pre-heat enough, but I used a MAP gas torch for about 5 minutes before welding, no post heat because the cracks would all show up before I was even done welding. The 2 pieces I was welding together were both the same material (I just cut and re positioned the manifold outlet). Both pieces were freshly grit blasted to a bare clean surface so there was no contamination likely. What gives? Could there be casting material differences in these manifolds?
That's crazy I mig welded mine with a little lincoln 180amp with .025 wire and they welded beautifully zero cracks and prefect penetration throughout.
Oh and I didn't preheat and it was like 40 degrees out.
Old 12-22-2015, 05:16 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Thanks for the input guys. I expected zero problems with welding these up with all the successful posts I have read about guys doing it. Starting to wonder if there might have been more than one supplier to GM for these manifolds with slighly different amounts of carbon content.

I managed to get one all welded without any cracks remaining, but have very little confidence in it with the amount of welding I had to do on it chasing all the cracks around. I might cut it apart and try 309 filler to see what happens.

I guess I could also bust out the old mig and see if I have better luck with that.
Old 12-22-2015, 09:17 AM
8 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the input guys. I expected zero problems with welding these up with all the successful posts I have read about guys doing it. Starting to wonder if there might have been more than one supplier to GM for these manifolds with slighly different amounts of carbon content.

I managed to get one all welded without any cracks remaining, but have very little confidence in it with the amount of welding I had to do on it chasing all the cracks around. I might cut it apart and try 309 filler to see what happens.

I guess I could also bust out the old mig and see if I have better luck with that.
How did you prep them after blasting?
Old 12-22-2015, 10:18 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ablakez28
How did you prep them after blasting?
I only beveled the edges with a 60 grit disc.
Old 12-22-2015, 10:37 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

These manifolds are cast steel, not cast iron. They weld up just fine with a mig welder. I have a millermatic 211. I never pre-heat or anything. I've done a few sets and have never had any cracking issues at all. The stock I use to add/modify is the exact same thickness as the manifolds, which I think is important.
Old 12-22-2015, 12:17 PM
8 Second Club

I only beveled the edges with a 60 grit disc.
Was the puddle nice and just cracked or were you getting "fireworks" as you went?

I have tig welded a bunch of these over the years. Always on 309 rod.
A few things that have tripped me up for sure along the way.

Still having some scale even just a little rust and all the sudden fireworks, contaminated tungsten, porosity, and I had to grind the weld out and start over.

Also I had once where I didnt really clean the inside much and as it penetrated I brought in rust/carbon/whatever and the same as above happened.

Hope his helps and good luck!
Old 12-22-2015, 01:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ablakez28
Was the puddle nice and just cracked or were you getting "fireworks" as you went?

I have tig welded a bunch of these over the years. Always on 309 rod.
A few things that have tripped me up for sure along the way.

Still having some scale even just a little rust and all the sudden fireworks, contaminated tungsten, porosity, and I had to grind the weld out and start over.

Also I had once where I didnt really clean the inside much and as it penetrated I brought in rust/carbon/whatever and the same as above happened.

Hope his helps and good luck!
That might be some of the problem. Sometimes i would get a nice clean puddle, then in other areas I would see some fireworks. I also think i was welding a little too hot at 160 amps Sounds like I should try a little colder at around 100 amps.

I just got my hands on some 309 rod that I will try this weekend.

Do you pre or post heat?

Thanks for the tips!
Old 12-22-2015, 02:29 PM
8 Second Club

That might be some of the problem. Sometimes i would get a nice clean puddle, then in other areas I would see some fireworks. I also think i was welding a little too hot at 160 amps Sounds like I should try a little colder at around 100 amps.

I just got my hands on some 309 rod that I will try this weekend.

Do you pre or post heat?

Thanks for the tips!
I do not pre or post heat. I weld them at around 130 amps and just back off the pedal when needed. If your current weld is contaminated you might be best off cutting it off and starting over. I use a flap wheel to clean about 3/4" up all the way around down to nice shiny metal.
Old 12-27-2015, 09:17 AM
TECH Enthusiast

The 309 filler rod was the key to a good weld with no cracking what-so-ever. I welded it on 120 amps DCEN with 3/32 lanth in 1/2" sections to keep heat down. No pre or post heat required. That 309 rod is great stuff!
Old 01-04-2016, 12:55 PM
8 Second Club

The 309 filler rod was the key to a good weld with no cracking what-so-ever. I welded it on 120 amps DCEN with 3/32 lanth in 1/2" sections to keep heat down. No pre or post heat required. That 309 rod is great stuff!
Glad to hear things went well for you here!
Old 01-05-2016, 04:25 AM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

All three I've welded, I noticed if you tack the v band first, it will crack. It also will take some of the manifold materiel with it also. Ive welded them with a 140 amp welder and a really nice Miller mig. Neither cracked, and on I actually cut the manifold, flipped it and welded it to itself. I just crank up the welder and go to town.

Quick Reply: Welding V Bands To Truck Manifolds?