Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Artic White 67 Camaro Forged Ls1 Iron Block Turbo Build *UPDATE 4/5/11 X-OVER WELDED*

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2011, 06:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Update 3/11/2011 Its hotside time

alrighty then well i got some damn good progress today because i got most of my piping and odds n ends in.

for my hotside piping i went with 2 inch instead of 2.5 inch because its easier to work with and also in theory it will speed up exhaust gasses spooling the turbo quicker and shouldnt choke it out.

please dont critisize my tack welds they look like **** i know but once u see the welder im dealing with you will see why.

i had originally planned on running the turbo where the battery went but with the manifolds up there just wasnt a practical way to do so, so i went middle and now i have the delimma of figuring out a radiator situation so if anyone has any ideas lemme know plz

ok enough talk lets show a couple pics

AND FOR THOSE OF YOU WHO WOULD LIKE TO KNOW Y MY WELDS LOOK PRETTY POOR?

I MADE THIS WELDER FROM TWO MICROWAVES AND A TOOLBOX AND SOME 10 GAUGE WIRE LOL. BUT IT WILL WORK TILL I GET A GOOD ONE. IM IN A WELDING CLASS RIGHT NOW SO ILL PROBABLY JUST TAKE IT IN AND WELD IT THERE

Old 03-11-2011, 07:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

WTF!!!!!!!!!!! you can go to Harbor Freight and pick up a flux cored wire welder for about 80 bucks. that's pretty cool though u built that.
Old 03-11-2011, 08:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

yeah i know but i was just using it for tacking it up so i didnt feel like spending the dough cause im just gonna take it in to class and weld it up with a nice *** welder there.
Old 03-11-2011, 08:46 PM
TECH Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

That looks like a little more than tack welds. Do yourself a favor and stop and plan a few things out before going any further. Im all for homebuilt stuff but wow, sheetmetal intake for a tool shelf?
Old 03-11-2011, 09:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

those are way more than tacks, I suggest you cut out as much of that weld metal as possible before you finish it up, is it stainless or mild?
Old 03-11-2011, 10:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

lol it looks worse than it is most of what ur seeing is the slag i havent chipped off yet and splatters the tacks actually are pretty small 4 per weld with the exception of the merge. yes most of it will be ground off when i tig it but for the tackin this is what i have to work with. hell yea i use my sheetmetal intake for a toolshelf doesnt everyone lol. oh yeah btw its mild steel.
Old 03-12-2011, 10:00 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by RNation0001
lol it looks worse than it is most of what ur seeing is the slag i havent chipped off yet and splatters the tacks actually are pretty small 4 per weld with the exception of the merge. yes most of it will be ground off when i tig it but for the tackin this is what i have to work with. hell yea i use my sheetmetal intake for a toolshelf doesnt everyone lol. oh yeah btw its mild steel.
My intake doubles as a toolbox!!! Multiuseful tool/component!!! It was easier to get the tools back out of my Victor Jr. though. I have heard of people making welders out of old alternators but never a microwave, awesome. I love crafty people that make **** happen. Looking good, cant wait to see the finished product!!!
Old 03-12-2011, 04:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

yea it shouldnt be long hopefully just a week or two til i can get it tigged up n looking good. only thing im worried about is when i weld it what if it bends it slightly then when i put it back on it doesnt line up perfect? im thinkin i need to just bolt everything to my other 5.3 i took out of the car and weld it in place which sux cause that means ima have to bite the bullet and buy a welder or borrow one hopefully.
Old 03-12-2011, 04:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks tsnow, yeah i just needed a way to tack it up and i built that a while back for a school project. just needa clean it up and tig it. only problem im seeing is what if it warps when i weld it then i put it back on and it dont line up right i may just bolt it up to my 5.3 that i took out of that car and weld it in place but the only thing is that means i have to buy a tig or borrow one or something. any suggestions? also any suggestions on welding the vband to the cast manifold? any special tricks?
Old 03-12-2011, 10:16 PM
TECH Addict

I dont know who did it but they welded the flanges onto the manifolds on LS1Tech. He put the manifolds in the oven and heated them up slowly to whatever his oven would take them to. Then he tacked them into place and stuck them back into the oven and heated them back up and pulled them out and welded some more. He did this one manifold at a time and it took forever. Do a search and I am sure you will find it. You could take them to a shop and have it done. Of course you could do the same for the hot side of the piping if the money is there. You will need to add some bracing to the merge pipe. I dont know a thing about turbos or pipes just what I have read on here.
Old 03-12-2011, 10:19 PM
TECH Addict

Here is an idea. You could put in a flex joint to help with misalignment, maybe!

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 03-13-2011, 12:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

tsnow did i ever tell you that ur a smart mother f***er lol, damn that almost looks like what i was gonna do one high one low but the pass low didnt work cause it hit the k member

thanks again tsnow
Old 03-13-2011, 01:12 PM
TECH Addict

This is the guy that I was reffering to on welding the flanges onto the manifolds. If you will browse through his build you will find the section where he did the welding. I think around page 18 he starts the turbo setup. Pretty smart fella and can weld his *** off.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...1972-nova.html
Old 03-14-2011, 08:23 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks man. Yea that guy can weld his *** off. Hope mine looks half that good when it's done
Old 03-14-2011, 08:37 AM
TECH Addict

I dont know if this is possible with a turbo, but what if you bought some flanges for the manifolds that bolt up like the factory made of mild steel and then welded the v-clamp flanges to them? That way the differences in metals wouldnt be an issue.
Old 03-15-2011, 12:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

lol too late i already cut em off lol. but there is a sticky where he cut off the flange and welded the vband to it
Old 04-05-2011, 02:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Default Update 4/5/2011

alright i know its been a while kinda been occupied with other things however i finally got the crossover pipe welded up and almost done just gotta weld in
o2 bungs and the wastegate. fits up pretty good however i may put a flex piece in just in case. im hoping my vbands seal good but we will c i guess. anyway heres some pics everything was mig welded cause didnt have access to a tig at the time plus its gonna be covered up so i wasnt real worried about looks.

hopefully i can get on the ball pretty quick with the rest of it the worst part to come besides the downpipe is radiator relocation in which i will have to cut out some of the radiator core support not looking forward to it.

Old 04-05-2011, 04:30 PM
TECH Addict

The weld looks good on the turbo mount flange! If they all look like that, job well done. Did you weld the manifold flanges on yet? Did you mig them to? It wont be long and she will be whistling down the road.
Old 04-06-2011, 10:58 AM
Teching In

Very cool!

How does it look for radiator clearance?
Old 04-07-2011, 07:30 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Just the flange looks that good that was the last thing I welded after getting the hang of it so it looks a little better than the rest. I had my teacher weld the v band to the manifold. He stick welded it with some kind of rod just for cast that was like 750 bux for a 3 lb box and he used 4 on my manifolds and did it for free so I saved me a couple hundred bux on rods n labor lol. Everything else I did myself it don't look great but it's good enough. Just hope the v band flanges seal up good n didn't warp or nothin. Real scared of that has anyone had problems with that before? I went ahead n ordered a flex piece I'ma put in just on case as well as the o2 sensor bungs.

Quick Reply: Artic White 67 Camaro Forged Ls1 Iron Block Turbo Build *UPDATE 4/5/11 X-OVER WELDED*