Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Introducing the Aster Auto Spring Loaded Tensioner Bracket at Brute Speed!

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2011, 06:10 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by The Alchemist
I got mine last week and just like everyone else said, it is quite nice. I've been dragging my feet on ordering stuff to get my kit together, but this has motivated me to start ordering stuff from Bob to start wrenching.

Nice job guys.
We're ready when you are, thanks! Bob

PM's disabled, please e-mail me
E-mail: brutespeed@gmail.comob@brutespeed.com

https://brutespeed.com/ Link to website

Old 05-22-2011, 08:06 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Six new recent orders, thanks everyone! Bob

Old 05-22-2011, 04:10 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good to see Asters bracket getting some air time. Its a VERY nice piece to have if you want mo boost!
Old 07-06-2011, 02:55 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Default Wow!

I had a customer today who ordered an Aster bracket from me call this afternoon. He said they installed his new F-1A with it and used the same 3.40 pulley on it that he had on his D-1SC! Yes, you know what happened... On the dyno the blower locked up, but get this. The Aster bracket worked so well the blower belt did not slip and it shut the engine down! They tried to restart the engine and it wouldn't turn over. They took the blower belt off and the engine fired right up, oil pressure is good and it is running just fine. Bob

Old 07-06-2011, 03:17 PM
TECH Regular

Wow, I would not have expected that. Hope he gets his head unit taken care of though. That 3.4 is seriously over spinning that head unit.
Old 07-06-2011, 04:00 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Originally Posted by Aster
Wow, I would not have expected that. Hope he gets his head unit taken care of though. That 3.4 is seriously over spinning that head unit.
I'll bet the boost came in really early! Bob

Old 07-06-2011, 04:09 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

That's impressive. I guess your bracket fixed the whole "prochargers are prone to belt slip" argument from the turbo guys.
Old 10-28-2011, 04:39 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just put on asters bracket wow this thing is great finally got to 15 psi on a 3.4 pully with a good k and n filter. This bracket is the best hands down tried the poormans belt wrap did not work out for me. I over tightened the super charger and blew out my front seal. So i would skip the stock procharger bracket the best i could ever get was 13 psi. THANKS BOB your the man
Old 10-28-2011, 05:25 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by STLWS6
I just put on asters bracket wow this thing is great finally got to 15 psi on a 3.4 pully with a good k and n filter. This bracket is the best hands down tried the poormans belt wrap did not work out for me. I over tightened the super charger and blew out my front seal. So i would skip the stock procharger bracket the best i could ever get was 13 psi. THANKS BOB your the man
Thanks, I appreciate it! Bob

Old 10-28-2011, 05:25 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

The bracket is unbeleivable. I ordered a 4.0" head unit pulley with the ATI 7.65" pulley and thanks to an efficient intake tract, I'm seeing a tad over 14psi of boost. Needless to say, it's more than I bargained for, so I set the shiftlight to 6000rpm to keep boost down while I plan for a new forged shortblock.

I laugh when I read people say that prochargers are prone to belt slip.... I guess with the wrong bracket they are, but not with Aster's bracket.
Old 10-28-2011, 05:31 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

The bracket is unbeleivable. I ordered a 4.0" head unit pulley with the ATI 7.65" pulley and thanks to an efficient intake tract, I'm seeing a tad over 14psi of boost. Needless to say, it's more than I bargained for, so I set the shiftlight to 6000rpm to keep boost down while I plan for a new forged shortblock.

I laugh when I read people say that prochargers are prone to belt slip.... I guess with the wrong bracket they are, but not with Aster's bracket.
That is great news, thanks! Bob

Old 10-28-2011, 05:36 PM
11 Second Club

Wow glad I went with 4.25 pulley what kind of boost you think I'll end up with at 6500 rpm ? D1 | aster bracket | truck inlet | fmi | AIS meth kit | patriot performance stage 3 ls6 heads | 228/228 113 lsa | stock bottom end ls1 | big red race valve
Old 10-28-2011, 05:41 PM
Teching In

Will this be ok for 1000+ rwhp with NO issues?
Old 10-28-2011, 05:46 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Originally Posted by SNOOP
I don't see a problem at 1000 rwhp. KP was running high 8's with the SDCE bracket without any problems, and I feel the Aster bracket is a better bracket. Bob

Old 10-28-2011, 07:35 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

What exactly are you planning on spinning to make 1000+ rwhp? FI-x?
Old 10-28-2011, 09:22 PM
Launching!

My setup is seeing 12-13 lbs of boost using the stock J bracket. I had belt slip on the dyno and tightened down on it and did not see any at all after that. Is there a certain say "maximum" ft/lbs you are supposed to tighten it down? I just read a few posts back on what over-tightening can do to your blower and def. dont wanna do that. I am planning on buying the aster bracket in the near future when I change pulleys and boost 16-20 psi but until then I think I will stick with the stock bracket. Also, is belt slip more-so or only boost level related or does higher HP have some to do with it slipping as well?
Old 10-29-2011, 07:07 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Originally Posted by vicouSS00
My setup is seeing 12-13 lbs of boost using the stock J bracket. I had belt slip on the dyno and tightened down on it and did not see any at all after that. Is there a certain say "maximum" ft/lbs you are supposed to tighten it down? I just read a few posts back on what over-tightening can do to your blower and def. dont wanna do that. I am planning on buying the aster bracket in the near future when I change pulleys and boost 16-20 psi but until then I think I will stick with the stock bracket. Also, is belt slip more-so or only boost level related or does higher HP have some to do with it slipping as well?

As I understand it, belt slip is a result of having a stationary pulley setup. As the rpms increase, the belt moves faster, causing the belt to stretch, but the resistance and load placed on the belt also increases. So it's a measurement of coefficient of friction. When the resistance of the blower pulley exceeds the coefficient of friction of the belt, it slips. At idle, the coefficient of friction is high since the tension is high on the belt and the resistance of the blower is low since it's not spinning fast, and not building boost. As the rpms increase, and the belt stretches, and the resistance to spin the blower increases, the coefficient of friction drops, and you get belt slip. This is why having a spring loaded tensioner works wonders. The amount of tension on the belt in theory stays the same through the rpm range, helping to keep only as much tension on the belt as needed.

Check out this video to see how much the tension (here on a GTO) moves during rpm changes. In theory, if you could come up with a belt that did not stretch at all, you could use a static tensioner, but since the belt grows, you need to have a variable tensioner.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WqyT8dYzAkM
Old 10-29-2011, 07:58 AM
9 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Depends on what head unit you are using. Aster's setup is very nice and I feel it will work good up to a F1A blower. I had problems trying to run an 8 rib belt with my F1R making 1000 rwhp. No matter which setup I tried (Aster, SDCE, manual, etc) I tried them all and always broke the belt so I switched to a cogged setup and solved my belt issues. So I feel for 95% of the people out there Aster's setup is the way to go, but for the serious people running F1R or larger blowers just go cogged setup and not worry about belt issues.
Old 10-29-2011, 08:02 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by vicouSS00
16-20psi? What pulley are you gonna run?
Old 10-29-2011, 12:02 PM
9 Second Club

Received 273 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by speedracer5532
Depends on what head unit you are using. Aster's setup is very nice and I feel it will work good up to a F1A blower. I had problems trying to run an 8 rib belt with my F1R making 1000 rwhp. No matter which setup I tried (Aster, SDCE, manual, etc) I tried them all and always broke the belt so I switched to a cogged setup and solved my belt issues. So I feel for 95% of the people out there Aster's setup is the way to go, but for the serious people running F1R or larger blowers just go cogged setup and not worry about belt issues.
I agree. Bob are you selling this yet? I told Dan to call you about it some time ago.
Best F-Body set up going for the 'larger' race style superchargers IMO.

See link.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/drag-raci...-big-boys.html

Quick Reply: Introducing the Aster Auto Spring Loaded Tensioner Bracket at Brute Speed!