Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Trans AM APS TT owners come in

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2011, 09:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Trans AM APS TT owners come in

I think I am going to pick up a used APS kit. Is there any need at all to remove the front firebird plate cover or fog lights? Does the intercooler design use the stock cooling system effective enough to not remove the bumper parts? I dont want to remove them if I dont have to.
Old 03-25-2011, 10:21 PM
9 Second Club

the only thing that has to go is the fog lights. and the stock cooling system works fine with this kit
Old 03-26-2011, 03:31 AM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah you don't need to remove the transam cover. And like tom said, the stock cooling system is fine. Just make sure it's in good working order. And make sure you run an anti-freeze.

Let me know if you have any more questions.
Old 03-27-2011, 09:56 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You can leave the bird front plate cover on the car. I still have fog lites you tweak them a bit in the instructions and you don't have to get rid of them.
For cooling had some issues when running my air on around town. I did a bunch of stuff but was still having some issues. I had 160 stat fans set to turn on at around 160,I have higher flow water pump and Ron Davis rad. Temps could still get up there around town with air on.

But few factors might have been not helping. Went to 408 iron block , didn't get the exhaust manifolds or turbo exhaust housings coated and had flaw in one factory turbo so wasn't running any water cooling to the turbos.

Also transmission cooling lines thru the radiator in addition to auxilary cooler.

This season going to see how things are with new aluminum block engine. Will be sending away those exhaust manifolds and turbo housings for coating. Will be running water cooling to the turbos. Still run higher flow water pump and the 160 stat and still have fans coming on low.
May not run the trans cooling thru the radiator just go to bigger/better trans cooler or coolers.
Hoping after all this can drive the car in hot weather 90 to 100 degrees in city traffic with air on. If not then might consider removing the air from the car. Don't use it all that much.
And I have the factory air dam in the car. Also been considering think its called a burhart bumper support that may help as well but didn't want to change the radiator to vertical. Was also wondering if maybe still can run pushers or better fans .Running factory fans ,wish someone would make a nice shroud with higher flow fans that would bolt on like factory.
Old 03-27-2011, 12:49 PM
12 Second Club

A little OT here, but I stopped looking at the APS kits b/c lots of people where saying they'd changed turbo manufactures or something and the kits were crap. Is this true? I see a few of you guys are still running them. Or are you just running the older kits? I REALLY would like to turbo my T/A but am not fond of ST kits.
Old 03-27-2011, 12:52 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think the kit is great over all. Well thought out, I have a stage 2 kit. I think some people with the stage 1 kit pushed the turbos a little too far.

Where you located ?

Warren
Old 03-27-2011, 02:50 PM
9 Second Club

base kit turbos are JUNK. they must be upgraded. but once that is done for the most part it is a good kit
Old 03-29-2011, 08:45 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by wildta
I think the kit is great over all. Well thought out, I have a stage 2 kit. I think some people with the stage 1 kit pushed the turbos a little too far.

Where you located ?

Warren
Myrtle Beach

Quick Reply: Trans AM APS TT owners come in