Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Couple more last minute erl 427 questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2011, 11:22 AM
7 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Fireball
I just had normal studs on my last motor...just overtorqued some
Its doesn't matter since shawn is assembling your motor but did you watch any auto shows this weekend? They had a show on a TTBB install and they also talked about fasteners, stretch, various lubes, and the actual clamping load applied after multiple retorques with various lubes. Since your an engineer you probably would have liked the data of it...

http://www.powerblocktv.com/video/?e...-13&ep_show=HP

11:40 into the video.

Last edited by Phil99vette; 01-18-2011 at 11:40 AM.
Old 01-18-2011, 11:27 AM
Restricted User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Fireball
I just had normal studs on my last motor...just overtorqued some
How tight did you torque them?

I had mine at 90 ft/lbs with the regular studs and stock gaskets. I did the same again as the head gaskets looked perfect when I tore it down. Was pushing 22-23psi and no water running 1/4 mile. I hope to hit it with a little more this time around as I found a nasty hotside leak explaining why I couldn't get anymore out of it. I was told that 90 seemed a bit high which is why I ask.
Old 01-18-2011, 11:34 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

shawn torqued them but IIRC, he told me that they were closer to 100
Old 01-18-2011, 11:45 AM
7 Second Club

Originally Posted by 98Z28CobraKiller
How tight did you torque them?

I had mine at 90 ft/lbs with the regular studs and stock gaskets. I did the same again as the head gaskets looked perfect when I tore it down. Was pushing 22-23psi and no water running 1/4 mile. I hope to hit it with a little more this time around as I found a nasty hotside leak explaining why I couldn't get anymore out of it. I was told that 90 seemed a bit high which is why I ask.
Are you using v-bands with aligning rings?
Old 01-18-2011, 11:46 AM
Restricted User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Phil99vette
I'm not trying to read your mind, just understand your thought process. You stated to "drop the cubes and up the turbos" would be faster and more reliable.
I apologize if I took you wrong but it felt as though you were talking down to me. That type of wording is like something I would say to one of my kids or someone that I felt to be absolutely clueless. I don't imply to know as much as you do about the max effort stuff that you guys do but I am very good at what I know, which happens to be the category that the OP is playing in. I also don't speak out of my *** as many do here and am the first to ask when diving into something that I am not familiar or comfortable with such as the recent assembly of my shortblock. If I say it, it's because I've done it and have the t-shirt to back it up as can be seen in any of my build threads.

Again, if I read too far into what you said, I apologize.
Old 01-18-2011, 11:50 AM
7 Second Club

Originally Posted by 98Z28CobraKiller
I apologize if I took you wrong but it felt as though you were talking down to me. That type of wording is like something I would say to one of my kids or someone that I felt to be absolutely clueless. I don't imply to know as much as you do about the max effort stuff that you guys do but I am very good at what I know, which happens to be the category that the OP is playing in. I also don't speak out of my *** as many do here and am the first to ask when diving into something that I am not familiar or comfortable with such as the recent assembly of my shortblock. If I say it, it's because I've done it and have the t-shirt to back it up as can be seen in any of my build threads.

Again, if I read too far into what you said, I apologize.
No hard feelings what so ever. I always appreciate other ideas and understand some people speak out of their *** and some actually have a reason why they say what they do. I've always taken everything I've heard for face value, do the research and formulate my own researched opinion. Knowing where someone thought process started and why makes the research process slightly easier to examine all available options/ways to modify the theory to make it better once applied.
Old 01-18-2011, 05:33 PM
Teching In

Anyone think its worth upgrading to 1/2" studs on a 6-bolt motor? Or are the standard size fasteners ok?
Old 01-18-2011, 05:50 PM
7 Second Club

Originally Posted by KsMySS
Anyone think its worth upgrading to 1/2" studs on a 6-bolt motor? Or are the standard size fasteners ok?
Depends on power level....
Old 01-18-2011, 06:17 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Phil99vette
Depends on power level....
Let me reword the question. What do you think stock sized fasteners are good to in a 6-bolt setup?
Old 01-18-2011, 07:38 PM
7 Second Club

Originally Posted by KsMySS
Let me reword the question. What do you think stock sized fasteners are good to in a 6-bolt setup?
1000hp yes, 2500hp+ no.... How much power are you trying to make? I'd say somewhere between 1500 and 1900 is the switch point for me.

Quick Reply: Couple more last minute erl 427 questions