Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Whos running wide bands

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2011, 04:43 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Whos running wide bands

Hey guys

Im looking for a wide band system. I want one with a warning if we get to lean. Wheres the cheapest place to get one?

Right now im leaning dynojet commander.
The range of the a/f ratio is 10 to 18. Is that enough if im running mehtanol injection?

Would I be better off going with dynojet wide band II?

Any help would be great. Thanks Guys
Old 01-22-2011, 12:13 PM
TECH Regular

No one is running an a/f guage here. come on guys. I need one with a some kind of warning to keep me from blowing up my motor.
Old 01-22-2011, 01:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

A/F gauges (narrow band) IMHO are garbage...not all that accurate. I'm using an AEM UEGO wideband for this setup, as I did for my last car as well.
Old 01-22-2011, 01:15 PM
Restricted User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I've always used Innovate Widebands with great success. I have heard great things about this unit http://www.ngksparkplugs.com/product...rmance/afx.asp also. Not crazy about the AEM widebands. I may have had bad luck with them on the cars that I have tuned with them though.
Old 01-22-2011, 01:53 PM
8 Second Club

Received 121 Likes on 90 Posts

I really like the AEMs
Old 01-22-2011, 02:12 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Sweet_SS
A/F gauges (narrow band) IMHO are garbage...not all that accurate. I'm using an AEM UEGO wideband for this setup, as I did for my last car as well.
i also run this same gauge
Old 01-22-2011, 02:22 PM
TECH Regular

i run the AEM also
Old 01-22-2011, 03:27 PM
TECH Resident

I like my AEM.

Ive also read really good things about the Holley unit.
Old 01-22-2011, 03:57 PM
TECH Veteran

i have not had experience with anything except AEM and Innovate. Neither are a bad choice IMO.

I currently run a Uego.
Old 01-22-2011, 09:00 PM
TECH Regular

Do these come with lean warning indicators. I guess I dont need to worry about the rich side to much because I will be able to feel it, and not nearly as dangerous as if it goes lean. As the operating range of the dynojet wide band is 10 to 18. I believe stoich when using meth is around 10. Any thoughts
Old 01-22-2011, 11:09 PM
Launching!

This is just my opinion but if your buying your wideband to watch while you make WOT pulls your wasting your time. It's pretty hard to watch that thing and drive WO on the street and react if it's reading lean. Forget about going lean you're going to hit a tree.

I bought mine thinking it would warn me of a lean condition it's not useful for that unless you wire some big light right on the dash and set it to come on at a preset value.

For data logging and tuning it's a requirement and the gauge is helpful for quick reference while driving around. In my case though the last thing I'm looking at while I'm at WOT is my gauge pillar. If your not tuning and don't ever data log then you can get away without a wideband as long as your tune and setup is reliable.
Old 01-23-2011, 02:53 AM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by laughatrice
This is just my opinion but if your buying your wideband to watch while you make WOT pulls your wasting your time. It's pretty hard to watch that thing and drive WO on the street and react if it's reading lean. Forget about going lean you're going to hit a tree.

I bought mine thinking it would warn me of a lean condition it's not useful for that unless you wire some big light right on the dash and set it to come on at a preset value.

For data logging and tuning it's a requirement and the gauge is helpful for quick reference while driving around. In my case though the last thing I'm looking at while I'm at WOT is my gauge pillar. If your not tuning and don't ever data log then you can get away without a wideband as long as your tune and setup is reliable.
X2... I also noticed that the gauge is worthless...other than the bling factor. Long before I knew how to data log I tuned off the gauge. then data logged it.. and found it not even close to what the gauge said. Stuff moves too fast to get an accurate gauge reading. The gauge is accurate in like a ball park kind of way.... Not even worth having.... unless you're staying at a constant rpm forever... and who does that?....no one.
Old 01-23-2011, 04:45 AM
Launching!

I have mine logging to a laptop via hp tuners. Just pull over, adjust the ve / maf / etc tables and flash the ecu.
Old 01-23-2011, 06:51 AM
9 Second Club

Received 180 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by nodrok
Do these come with lean warning indicators. I guess I dont need to worry about the rich side to much because I will be able to feel it, and not nearly as dangerous as if it goes lean. As the operating range of the dynojet wide band is 10 to 18. I believe stoich when using meth is around 10. Any thoughts
Best warning indicator is in your head. They are called eyes.

The only way you could have a lean warning alarm when it actually mattered, is if you also add throttle, rpm, boost, temperature at an absolute minimum. As there will be many parameters required to actually alert you only when needed.
Old 01-23-2011, 08:48 AM
Restricted User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

As soon as I pull 3rd, that's the only gauge I watch going down the track. Well , that and the oil pressure. Most, if not all of the aftermarket widebands have a 0-5v reference that is either preset or configurable. If you are dead set on a light, you'd have to wire up a circuit that would trigger a light at whatever voltage you are at when you feel that you are in a lean condition. I can tell you though that widebands will sometimes glitch so depending on how close to target AFR you set up your light will depend on how annoying it will be. Also remember that what is "lean" at can be rich at idle (i.e. 11.5 vs 13.5) so your circuit would have to only activate at WOT.
Old 01-23-2011, 08:58 AM
8 Second Club

^^ yep, the only gauge I really have my eyes on

And the WB is always logging a trim correction for the VE in in HPT on a custom histogram
Old 01-23-2011, 09:03 AM
8 Second Club

And to the OP, it doesn't matter if you are running ethanol or staight methonal. As long as you have the WB set for the gasoline scale you tune to the typical target AFR's for gasoline even though you are using a mix or straight form of some other fuel

It is because they are working off of lambada
Old 01-23-2011, 09:15 AM
TECH Resident

innovative wideband from dean & dyno tune nitrous.
Old 01-23-2011, 01:33 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by laughatrice

This was my initial thought, and thats why I liked the dynojet WB it has some kind of light that triggers when conditions are lean. However like some of you said whats it set at. It could be annoying if the light is tripping early. Im not going to be data logging. I simply wanted something to warn me on lean conditions so I didnt blow nubmer 7 to pieces like the last engine. It seams a wide band with a programable siren to alert you would be best so you could watch the road. Thoughts. The stuff i read on the ngk has all been good as well. Whats the deal with innovate all digital unit for $200. They claim its more accurate. Im not a fan of digital guages however with a wide band you could never tell your a/f ratio at a quick glance.
Old 01-23-2011, 01:44 PM
9 Second Club

Received 180 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by nodrok
This was my initial thought, and thats why I liked the dynojet WB it has some kind of light that triggers when conditions are lean. However like some of you said whats it set at. It could be annoying if the light is tripping early. Im not going to be data logging. I simply wanted something to warn me on lean conditions so I didnt blow nubmer 7 to pieces like the last engine. It seams a wide band with a programable siren to alert you would be best so you could watch the road. Thoughts. The stuff i read on the ngk has all been good as well. Whats the deal with innovate all digital unit for $200. They claim its more accurate. Im not a fan of digital guages however with a wide band you could never tell your a/f ratio at a quick glance.
if your engine is tuned properly you wont need to look at gauges and you wont blow anything.

And there is nothing difficult about viewing AFR's on a digital display at any time.

Quick Reply: Whos running wide bands